A new bit of Chinglish....

I get takes the thirst left off the island.
The map shows the third left so i guess it mix's up first and third to get thirst.

first thing you should do is use you phone with android auto / apple car play - you'll never use the in-built gps ever again.

...the apps available for your phone blow the pre-canned sat nav. out of the water :)

I don't know why anyone would put themselves through the stress of using the in-built sat nav. It's possibly the worst sat nav I've ever used in a car. Just thankful I can plug my phone in and use Android Auto.

I am not sure why the Sat Nav is so much criticized. It is a bit slow to load up I know, and the route is sometimes tricky to put in a post code..(maybe I have answered it myself!) but once up and running I find the actual Sat Nav software to work well. I have used my IPhone Maps software, and once or twice Google maps, which also work well. If I was to moan about it, it is that some far flung place names don't get recognised.

But personally I don't like the idea of my phone lying around the console in case of an accident or very sharp bend. Each to our own I guess.

Just to add, its the first inbuilt Sat Nav system that I have used, so don't have anything to compare it with...:)

When using Sat Nav directions via your phone for Google maps / Waze etc, I assume you are consuming data from your network provider, when in use ?.
I am using a IPhone with a “Pay As You Go” service as I don’t want a mobile phone contract.
If data is consumed to enable map directions, this is likely to consume a lot of credit.
Can somebody please confirm or deny my poor understanding of this situation.
I avoid using my phone for map guidance for this reason.
I agree that the hardest part of using the inbuilt Sat Nav is getting it set up to start with !.
Once it’s running, it appears to do the job okay ( ish ).

When using Sat Nav directions via your phone for Google maps / Waze etc, I assume you are consuming data from your network provider, when in use ?.
I am using a IPhone with a “Pay As You Go” service as I don’t want a mobile phone contract.
If data is consumed to enable map directions, this is likely to consume a lot of credit.
I agree that the hardest part of using the inbuilt Sat Nav is getting it set up to start with !.
It depends on the iOS app being used - some will download the maps on to your phone so all you're using is the GPS and a small about of data for real time traffic to re-route you - again, assuming your app supports that. I know that my old Navigon app (now obsolete) used to download all the maps over wifi and not use much data - but Google Maps (and maybe Waze, not sure) seem to download more as you drive along.

If anyone were so inclined, going to the Mobile Data section in Settings of iOS should allow disabling Mobile Data on a per app basis.

Like anything though - if something works well for your needs, then it's the best option for you 👍

It depends on the iOS app being used - some will download the maps on to your phone so all you're using is the GPS and a small about of data for real time traffic to re-route you - again, assuming your app supports that. I know that my old Navigon app (now obsolete) used to download all the maps over wifi and not use much data - but Google Maps (and maybe Waze, not sure) seem to download more as you drive along.

If anyone were so inclined, going to the Mobile Data section in Settings of iOS should allow disabling Mobile Data on a per app basis.

Like anything though - if something works well for your needs, then it's the best option for you 👍
Thank you for your reply 👍.

Yes you are right if using live data.
You can download the maps, to cover the area you will be travelling in to use offline in Google maps. This will at least give you the most up to date mapping data. If you do it, over wifi suggested as the maps size can get quite big the bigger area you want to cover.
You of course will not get live traffic updates which is the best part of any Satnav.

Could you expand in this please - as I’ve just realised that I’ve never actually tried to do it. Thanks 👍
As long as you’re not telling CarPlay to play music (eg Spotify) it’ll quite happily let the car’s radio play. You might need to go back to the menu (press the centre button or go to “MG” in the CarPlay menu) to turn the radio on though if it’s not.

From experience, on iOS:
  • Maps in iOS (I run an older version) will download the maps for your planned route. Go off of this and you're in trouble.
  • Google Maps/HERE WeGo/CityMaps2Go you can download the entire country and it stays on your device.
I also use myTracks which is free and uses open source mapping, but you can buy various addons for the app, one of which is to download offline maps for the UK for 99p (you're buying the functionality, not the maps). Importantly for me, this app allows you to record the route you've taken which you can follow later.

As I've said before, the MG ZS satnav is much maligned on here, but it isn't that bad once you get used to it. Someone has even tweaked it up to follow waypoints and pre-planned routes - it's on the forum somewhere.

If I'm following a particularly long or awkward route, I'll use Garmin Basecamp to plan it out and my dedicated satnav to follow it.

Hope that helps!

With Google Maps you can download offline maps. You obviously won't get the traffic updates which make Google Maps so good, but you will get much easier to use sat nav and it won't cost you anything in data.
To be honest Google maps isn't that bad data wise. I use less than 1GB of data a month on it, usually much less, and I use Google Maps on almost every journey, even to places I frequent often. There is so much roadworks going on in and round Wolverhampton that you can use the same route twice a day and find temporary lights and roadworks on the second journey.
Google is so good at picking up on these closures, mainly because it owns Waze and feeds it's traffic reporting into Google Maps too, so you have the best of both worlds without Waze's childish looking set up.

With Google Maps you can download offline maps. You obviously won't get the traffic updates which make Google Maps so good, but you will get much easier to use sat nav and it won't cost you anything in data.
To be honest Google maps isn't that bad data wise. I use less than 1GB of data a month on it, usually much less, and I use Google Maps on almost every journey, even to places I frequent often. There is so much roadworks going on in and round Wolverhampton that you can use the same route twice a day and find temporary lights and roadworks on the second journey.
Google is so good at picking up on these closures, mainly because it owns Waze and feeds it's traffic reporting into Google Maps too, so you have the best of both worlds without Waze's childish looking set up.
I too use Google maps on almost every journey, short or long, whether I know the route or not, just for the live traffic updates.
My son-in-law forgot to do that the other week on one of his regular journeys and ended up at standstill on the motorway for an hour with wife and 3 kids in the car. Could easily have diverted with maps on.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom