A-Pillar Rear Wash Pipe Fix

MonsterMonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I've just experienced the leaking rear window washer leaking into to drivers footwell. Here's some pictures to help others.

When I turned the dial for the rear window wash it sounded as if the water was being squirted behind the dashboard directly in front of the driver. It's most likely to be a pipe connection behind the speaker located at the bottom of the drivers A-pillar (blue arrow in pic). The water will eventually come out to the footwell near the door.

Here's what I did...

With your fingers of left hand gently pull top edge of A-pillar trim (orange arrow). At same time using right hand fingers gently pull lip of black rubber seal and slide finger behind trim (yellow arrow).

At this point I pulled gradually but firmly and heard a clip popping out. I'm assuming it's a metal compression clip located at the Green arrow.

Stop pulling and look at top behind trim at magenta arrow there is a black plastic retaining clip going from trim to body work joined by a black hoop. Press the black hoop down to slacken and remove upwards from trim socket.

You can now pull the entire trim back and down.

Don't pull the bottom completely away as there is a speaker wire connected to the pillar. Unclip this wire from speaker. You're now able to fully remove the trim.

Looking at the top of the trim near the black retainer is a plastic round conical peg. Mine didn't look broken as if it was a clip but seems fine when putting back later. It might just be a locator peg.

Down at the bottom of the pillar you'll see the offending washer fluid pipe (red arrows in pics) that has separated it's connector. One end feeds from the engine bay the other end is to the rear window.

Try to dry both ends particularly the inside of the female pipe. Push these back together. I've also used a tie wrap to help if possible.

To put the A-pillar trim back, first reconnect the speaker wire, locate bottom of trim first and align top but leave enough space to reattach the black plug at top. Align metal clip at half way to rectangle hole and the upper round peg to the round hole. Push trim in gently. At same time gently pull black rubber trim over a pillar trim. To help I used a plastic/nylon baking spatular.

IMG_20240327_115757.jpg
IMG_20240327_114805.jpg
IMG_20240327_114624.jpg

Last edited:
This happened on mine , though I couldn't see any water build up in the footwell . At last week's service they asked if I'd noticed if the rear washer wasn't working . I told it was but it sounded as if it was pumping under the dash . They fixed it on the service . Strange thing is ,as I mentioned, the footwell was reasonably dry . I had occasion to go it the underfoor boot area a day after and was faced with a swimming pool so maybe there's another connector in that area ?

This happened on mine , though I couldn't see any water build up in the footwell . At last week's service they asked if I'd noticed if the rear washer wasn't working . I told it was but it sounded as if it was pumping under the dash . They fixed it on the service . Strange thing is ,as I mentioned, the footwell was reasonably dry . I had occasion to go it the underfoor boot area a day after and was faced with a swimming pool so maybe there's another connector in that area ?
I stopped using mine the moment I heard a jet of water from what appeared to be the dash. In that case nothing was obvious. I booked in at MG for next month but decided to have a go. Another attempt at using the washer I heard the splash but was now definitely from A-pillar and got a few drips near door in footwell.

@MonsterMonster

Thanks for the good instructions and illustrations, several people have experienced this and I'm sure others will find this extremely useful in the future.

Has anyone had the repaired under warranty and do they just pop it back on or add a cable tie or something else?

Has anyone had the repaired under warranty and do they just pop it back on or add a cable tie or something else?
A small cable tie fitted around that push fit female adapter, would be an almost certain fix IMHO.
The factory fit on its own, can not be secure enough.
Any sign of cold weather and that joint is going to freeze and then “pop”.
The adapter is subject to any cold weather conditions, that is due to its location against that “A” pillar.
Cold can transmit through the metal pillar and hit that vulnerable weak spot in that joint.

Last edited:
I've just experienced the leaking rear window washer leaking into to drivers footwell. Here's some pictures to help others.

When I turned the dial for the rear window wash it sounded as if the water was being squirted behind the dashboard directly in front of the driver. It's most likely to be a pipe connection behind the speaker located at the bottom of the drivers A-pillar (blue arrow in pic). The water will eventually come out to the footwell near the door.

Here's what I did...

With your fingers of left hand gently pull top edge of A-pillar trim (orange arrow). At same time using right hand fingers gently pull lip of black rubber seal and slide finger behind trim (yellow arrow).

At this point I pulled gradually but firmly and heard a clip popping out. I'm assuming it's a metal compression clip located at the Green arrow.

Stop pulling and look at top behind trim at magenta arrow there is a black plastic retaining clip going from trim to body work joined by a black hoop. Press the black hoop down to slacken and remove upwards from trim socket.

You can now pull the entire trim back and down.

Don't pull the bottom completely away as there is a speaker wire connected to the pillar. Unclip this wire from speaker. You're now able to fully remove the trim.

Looking at the top of the trim near the black retainer is a plastic round conical peg. Mine didn't look broken as if it was a clip but seems fine when putting back later. It might just be a locator peg.

Down at the bottom of the pillar you'll see the offending washer fluid pipe (red arrows in pics) that has separated it's connector. One end feeds from the engine bay the other end is to the rear window.

Try to dry both ends particularly the inside of the female pipe. Push these back together. I've also used a tie wrap to help if possible.

To put the A-pillar trim back, first reconnect the speaker wire, locate bottom of trim first and align top but leave enough space to reattach the black plug at top. Align metal clip at half way to rectangle hole and the upper round peg to the round hole. Push trim in gently. At same time gently pull black rubber trim over a pillar trim. To help I used a plastic/nylon baking spatular.

View attachment 25141View attachment 25142View attachment 25143
My 2022 model have the same issue with water in the driver side footwell which I confirmed followed using the rear window washer with no water reaching the window nozzle. Thank you for the detail.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom