A second recall, this time the roof bars.

My SR MG5 (may 2021) had the recall. The brake lights come on when slowing down in kers 3 and behave exacly as you would expect. The roof rack recall was a sticker being stapled into the relevant page of the handbook no changes were made to the car.

Got this back from my leaser:
I had emailed the dealer again and they confirmed that your vehicle has no recalls or actions outstanding as show in the attached document. However, I have request this to be investigated further. The dealer has emailed MG advising of the issue and have said they will be in touch with a response on what to do next. The dealer has also advised if the brake light is not illuminating in KERS3, not to use the vehicle other than in KERS1 and KERS2.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

MGCampaignActions.png

My dealer Luscombes has been very good. If they put it on the computer and it says no updates due, then it's fair for them to say so. My guess is that there are some VIN numbers that are not on the recall list as the cars hadn't been sold when the recall went out.
I will check again but am fairly confident it will need doing. but whether/how they can force the update when the car says it doesn't need it is another thing. :)
I bought mine in late Dec (5SR) and I have been told there are no outstanding recalls but the manual was not updated. So I’m assuming the KERS update is done. How would I know for sure?
Checked it again yesterday for the brake lights/KERS 3 during daylight hours.
Kicked the missus out on a nice straight stretch of road, went on and turned round. Came back at 40mph and released throttle after I passed her, result brake lights came on. (I did return to pick her up :D )
Lesson here is that I did not see the lights come on in town at night through the rear view mirror, probably because of the street lights so testing it another way confirmed yay/nay for me.

Yesterday, I gave up waiting to hear from the dealer and opted to contact MG hq direct. Got this response last night.

Thank you for contacting us today!

Based on your registration CN71 XXX, your vehicle would require a safety recall to improve the operation of the brake lights in KERS-3 mode. It would be best to contact your local/preferred MG dealer at the earliest convenience to arrange an appointment for this to be done.

If you receive a letter from MG later regarding this recall, you may ignore the letter if an appointment has been arranged or if your car has already received this update.

Please rest assured that your car is still safe to drive and this issue does not impact KERS 1 or 2. We recommend that you drive your MG5 EV in KERS 1 or 2 until your vehicle has been updated with the revised software. Also, MG5 EV will revert to KERS 2 each time when it is started. Therefore, we would suggest you not to actively engage KERS 3 on each journey before the recall is completed.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this issue may cause you and your families.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.

Direct Line:+44 (0)20 3917 5821
Email:[email protected]
MG Motor UK Limited
Westar House
139-151 Marylebone Road
London
NW1 5QE
www.mg.co.uk

Interesting then that the dealer did not have it come up on his system, but hq say ‘based on your reg…’.

I recommend using the email displayed to get in touch ([email protected]). Actually not bad service from them.

Last edited:
Further response from my lease company and dealer clarifying why it had not shown on their system:
I have had a response from the dealer regarding the issue with your vehicle.

They have been in contact with MG Support and confirmed you can take your vehicle to any MG dealer to have the work undertaken.

Please see below the response from warranty:

‘’ The VIN is in the original list it has yet to be uploaded to DSR, we are awaiting on modification to DSR software before we attempt a refresh upload.

Any dealer can action RC007 and submit claim, the dealer needs to add the comment VIN taken from stock list’ and that will be fine’’

The recall will be covered under warranty so the repairing dealer can proceed with this. The MG Support has also said to use this email for reference if needed.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom