A solar EV you never need to charge?

3sheds

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Check out the stats of the: Aptera Paradigm Just seen a video of this newly developed EV beating a Tesla 3 in a drag race. And it can get enough power from its solar panels each day to drive up to 45 miles! I only drive about 9000 miles per year so I'd virtually never have to charge it, except for the occasional long journey. Admittedly this is only a 2-seater, which is technically classed as a trike, but given the fact that solar and battery technology advances so quickly will every EV come fitted with solar panels soon and we'll never need to charge?

This would be a real game changer for us. We have no off-street parking and public charging usually involves an awkward journey, leaving my MG5 somewhere inconvenient and using a folding bike to return home and then go back to collect it.

I love the aptera but until I was sure it would be available here I wouldn't even put down a deposit. Great concept which would work brilliantly even with our gloomy winter weather. Can always give it a zap if you don't get enough rays.

I think you're forgetting we live in the UK!

You'd have to park your car very carefully to ensure direct sunlight too.
I guess that's true. Instead of south facing gardens people will be looking for houses with South facing driveways! 😂😂 It will be interesting to see how they are reviewed once people actually get delivery of them.

Fully charged featured a German car manufacturer that had designed a car with solar panels along similar lines- but it looked a lot less futuristic! Alas my driveway faces north! 😢

Fully charged featured a German car manufacturer that had designed a car with solar panels along similar lines- but it looked a lot less futuristic! Alas my driveway faces north! 😢
It must've been the Sono Sion which I've had my eye on for a while. A practical car, only option is a toolbar (it was when I last looked) and they have considered the lack of constant sunshine in Europe. Sensibly priced, it could be great.

Very interesting. Do you think Sono will have about the same amount of space inside as an mg5

San Diego where the company is based gets about 30cm of rain a year. Scotland gets about 3000cm lol

Light year cars are developing a solar car to. Concentrated on efficiency and gets a 500 plus range. Pretty impressive looking car.

The only thing about the Sono is they have no current (ha! joke!) plans to build a RHD model :-(

I guess that's true. Instead of south facing gardens people will be looking for houses with South facing driveways! 😂😂 It will be interesting to see how they are reviewed once people actually get delivery of them.

Check out this video, seemingly unrelated but about 3.40 he shows his vehicle is getting some power from the solar roof panels in the gloomy UK during the storm! Didn't know we had current vehicles with solar panels TBH...

Check out this video, seemingly unrelated but about 3.40 he shows his vehicle is getting some power from the solar roof panels in the gloomy UK during the storm! Didn't know we had current vehicles with solar panels TBH...

Yes, I think solar panels are an optional extra on some current UK models but they are expensive and heavy and don't really do much. Apparently the Ioniq 5's optional panels can only add "up to" 4km range per day and reviewers say they make the car quite top heavy.

Yes, I think solar panels are an optional extra on some current UK models but they are expensive and heavy and don't really do much. Apparently the Ioniq 5's optional panels can only add "up to" 4km range per day and reviewers say they make the car quite top heavy.
i think they were only on the launch model here in the uk. shame really as they would cover an awful lot of my journeys.

You'd need the equivalent of a house roof full of panels to get any mileage.

The light year car reckons in Netherlands can expect 7000km a year off its solar charge guessing Netherlands isn’t to different a climate to southern England.
Also worth looking at solar hv on insta as they managed a solar powered trip down through Europe in their camper.
Very cool that these things are being developed.

If solar panels on EVs become widespread it will really undermine the argument that EV charging will put too much strain on National Grid. At some times of year and in some areas EVs could even become net positive to the Grid?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom