blippy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I received my MG ZS EV with Bravo HP Maxxis M3 tyres (215/55 R17 94V), which carry Mud & Snow (M+S) marking and are listed as all-season, but do not carry the three-peak mountain snowflake.

Due to being in a rural location, tyres get a hard life (mud/pot-holes/ice/snow/hedge cuttings/heavy braking etc). My initial impression of the MG was that it seemed a bit slippy - and a quick search on tyre review sites quickly yielded this (source):

My car has no ABS but it never locked up with AD08 when they were warmed up. With these [Maxxis M3], they would lock up everytime. Braking is downright dangerous with these tyres. I know they arent sporty and meant for SUVs but SUVs need to brake too. I wony recommend these to anyone. The steering response is great and they are comfortable with good lateral grip. But braking performance is scary. With ABS it might be different. Ill be going back to Yokohama AD08.

This assessment seems accurate - stopping (or starting in some cases) on wet country lanes was very noticeably more difficult than I'm used to, so much so that I've paid up to swap them with just 2000 miles on the clock, choosing Goodyear Vector4Seasons Gen3 SealTech (215/55 R17 98W SealTech) - mainly because of the supposed puncture resistance and three peaks mark.

Having done 500 miles on these, I wanted to share my experience. Bear in mind there is naturally a bias towards something that one has spent a significant amount of money on. But even so, when compared to the M3s:

• Wet braking is really quite dramatically stronger
  • "Flooring it" at 20mph will make them slip - but there seems to be more headroom under the (ridiculous) electric torque than with the M3s
  • The vehicle feels altogether more sure-footed in the wet
  • One unexpected benefit - they are very, very quiet - especially in the wet. Maybe this is helped by the thick gooey substance applied inside them.

On the downsides - they will likely wear maybe twice as quick as the M3s (which say 40k miles life, whereas previous experience suggests more like 15k for e.g. CrossClimates. Since all my tyres end up with holes in before they wear out this is of little concern to me). These tyres are also difficult to get hold of from the usual outlets so I needed to find a local garage happy to spend some time on the phone to their Goodyear rep (mail ordering another option e.g. from DemonTweaks). Also check when they arrive that they are the Sealtech variant with the thick black sticky goo inside them as Goodyear themselves didn't seem that sure and first sent the standard version.

Anyway - I've personally been satisfied over the years with all season tyres like Michelin CrossClimate, Hankook Kinergy 4S, and now the Goodyear Vector4Season. I have high hopes for the puncture resistance provided by the SealTech version of the Vector4, which I'm sure will be dashed once the hedge cutters appear in the spring as usual.

Hope that helps anyway.

Changed mine to continental all season 2’s. Similar findings, car handling much improved all round.

Yeah i got winter friction on now but it Kinda is useless. Spinning way to much, tried to get some steel rims for the increase of weight so i would not spin as much but been hard to find . Found some hybrid steel rims for some other models but havent got around to go get them and get fitted so will be probably for next winter.

I'm getting studded tyres and steel rims for next year is the plan.

Ive read somewhere tyre weight increase by 10 times during driving so aluminium is round 7kg tops and steel around 12 kg so 60kg versus 120kg on each tire makes it less to spinn but i assume the break distance will increase tho.

But i only care about grip in snow and on ice.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom