About to buy MG ZS SE Long range what should I be asking?

Maciej

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So this is probably first time I will be buying both brand new car and electric car. What I should be asking for I have done the research so I know what a car is like but what I should be making sure is included with the car when I order it. How do I go with getting charger fitted in my house? Is that something I should be negotating with dealer to have organised or is it something I must do on my own? Are charging cables included with a car as standard or should I be asking for those we go caravaning so having a cable that can charge from regular 3 pin charger is definitly handy. The dealer I found is 80 miles away comes highly recomended here. Should I be going with them or should I go to my local dealer and ask them to match the offer? If I go with dealer from 80 miles away if I ever need car service will I have to drag my butt in there or will I be able to get it done with my local dealer? Basically I am new to both electric car ownership and buying new cars as I have always driven used bought from private buyers. Any tips of all the questions I should ask when I ring a dealer would be highly appriciated.

You need to make your own arrangements for a home 7kW charge point but that's the best way of doing things anyway as you then have greatest choice. The car will come supplied with a 13A charger.
You can buy your car from any dealer and have it serviced at any dealer so again, the choice is yours :)

You say you go caravaning. I hope you go to a static caravan because you won't be towing a caravan with a ZS LR (unless it is <500kg).

You are in Lincolnshire so I presume Charles Warner in Lincoln would be your closest dealer? They have pretty good reviews. I chose Luscombe's of Leeds, a bit of a treck to be honest but I like their openness and they have very good reviews. We test drove there and we weren't disappointed with them.

Some dealers offer a charger as part of the deal. Some electricity providers offer the service with a special tariff. The MG doesn't come with a type 2 cable (7kW AC) as standard, but again the dealer might throw one in as a sweetner.

Last edited:
You say you go caravaning. I hope you go to a static caravan because you won't be towing a caravan with a ZS LR (unless it is <500kg).

You are in Lincolnshire so I presume Charles Warner in Lincoln would be your closest dealer? They have pretty good reviews. I chose Luscombe's of Leeds, a bit of a treck to be honest but I like their openness and they have very good reviews. We test drove there and we weren't disappointed with them.
Thanks. Yeah it's static caravan. Charles Warner i is about 5 min walk from my house I used car wow to see what is available and will give them a ring on Monday to see what they can offer.

Funnily enough when I bought my MG5 LR in Nov, the local dealer told me the price I was getting from the other dealer was so good, that I should definitely take it. No ill feeling. Said they would be delighted to service in future.

I have a spare wheel kit available for a ZS EV & I’m at LN5 0EN 👍

So this is probably first time I will be buying both brand new car and electric car. What I should be asking for I have done the research so I know what a car is like but what I should be making sure is included with the car when I order it. How do I go with getting charger fitted in my house? Is that something I should be negotating with dealer to have organised or is it something I must do on my own? Are charging cables included with a car as standard or should I be asking for those we go caravaning so having a cable that can charge from regular 3 pin charger is definitly handy. The dealer I found is 80 miles away comes highly recomended here. Should I be going with them or should I go to my local dealer and ask them to match the offer? If I go with dealer from 80 miles away if I ever need car service will I have to drag my butt in there or will I be able to get it done with my local dealer? Basically I am new to both electric car ownership and buying new cars as I have always driven used bought from private buyers. Any tips of all the questions I should ask when I ring a dealer would be highly appriciated.
Here's my experience:
  • Some dealers will offer a 'bundle' to have 7kW home charger supplied & fitted by 3rd party, but this is usually at a much higher coast than market price (but more convenient obviously); shopping around for a charger then your own sparkie to fit will be much cheaper (in my case, less aprox. 30%).
  • Only 'granny' charger for conventional AC wall plug comes with the car. Cables, best to buy third party unless the dealer will include; also suggest both type 2 charger & type 1 to type 2 adapter to cover the range of options availble on the road.
  • You can buy at any dealer, then service at any other; would suggest the first courtesy inspection afterr delivery (1000k) and/or any other queries be done at the orignal dealer in the first instance.

Some electric supply cos have tie ups or deals , for example EDF owns Pod point, and I got my 7kw installed by them at a very good price with a three year warranty. I bought my new Trophy from Chorley group Burnley and had it delivered here on a transporter , 300 miles away. Excellent deal so very happy.

If one had to leave the car at the dealership you bought it from and it was 300 miles away. Would they lend you a car ?

Conversely if you took it to the local garage can you get home easy or would they lend you a loaner?🤔

If one had to leave the car at the dealership you bought it from and it was 300 miles away. Would they lend you a car ?

Conversely if you took it to the local garage can you get home easy or would they lend you a loaner?🤔
As Mg dealers operate on a national franchise any dealership will provide the services that any main dealer provides.
If a loan car was a necessity then that is sorted at the time of booking. All dealers run some loan cars as part of the service arrangements.

Check to see if you qualify for Affinity discounts before they finish. Dealer will have details. I'm retired forces and qualified.
We already spoke about it I qualified as care worker. Thanks for bringing it in. I decided to go with standard range after some analysis of how much I actually drive and what I can afford

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom