AC Settings - which is more efficient?

deviousrich

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
heres a random question for you... With AC off whats the most efficient settings - option A or B below. Ive tried looking at the usage readings but i cant see any difference what so i thought id ask if anyone knows?

Option A - "ECON" off
1654771251608.png

Option B - "ECON" on
1654771272439.png

doesnt seem to, nor the amps reading. my guess is it does nowt if the AC is off, but thought id ask ;-)
Yeah - think the ECON mode (which is enabled automatically when selecting ECO driving mode) impacts how effective the aircon is - so if aircon is off, suspect this does very little.

1654785403802.png

Guess it impacts the heater performance too

1654785436252.png

Depends what you mean by most efficient.
If you mean most efficient at heating or cooling the cabin then ECO off.
If you mean most efficient in terms of mileage from a charge then ECO on.
I find the most efficient for mileage is having the temperature set in AUTO as close to ambient temperature as feels comfortable, ECO or no ECO.

heres a random question for you... With AC off whats the most efficient settings - option A or B below. Ive tried looking at the usage readings but i cant see any difference what so i thought id ask if anyone knows?

Option A - "ECON" off
View attachment 8852

Option B - "ECON" on
View attachment 8853
A/C doesn't appear to be on anyway in pictures. :)

Objectively the most efficient is to turn the HVAC off. You can turn the recirculation off as well and just have passive air flow.

Objectively the most efficient is to turn the HVAC off. You can turn the recirculation off as well and just have passive air flow.
The passive air flow is also improved if you open a couple of windows slightly so the air has somewhere to go.
Even better on the ZS when I tilt the sunroof. ;)

The passive air flow is also improved if you open a couple of windows slightly so the air has somewhere to go.
Even better on the ZS when I tilt the sunroof. ;)
But, with open windows, you'll create more drag.

Well thats what confused me because effectively it is off in both modes, just one off, one off + eco
There isn't a setting for more off than that is there?

Well thats what confused me because effectively it is off in both modes, just one off, one off + eco
Press and hold the temperature button (the one on the left) and the HVAC switches off - the recirculation light will come on at this point - pressing this button to turn off the light allows fresh air to flow into the car (assuming you're moving).

This should be the lowest energy impact as no fans are running, rather than just turning the AC off, or AC off and ECON mode.

Saw an episode of Click on the BBC the other day. They were at an EV research centre.

They had carried out a study on the temperature required on EV buses for passengers to feel comfortable.

On a regular bus where the heaters were at roof level the temperature had to be 24c .

If they put the heating at floor level it only had to be 15c.

Can't remember the exact reason why but makes me wonder whether if we set our car heaters to our feet we can set the temperature that bit lower and save a few watts.

If it's off then it's off. Probably just a software bug that the eco light still comes on.

If it's off then it's off. Probably just a software bug that the eco light still comes on.
I think the point here is that Econ setting doesn’t just impact the AC - so it’s able to be active even when the AC is off. Econ will also affect the heater so it’s valid that the button is lit when the HVAC is on, even although the air con is off.

It’s impact will be minimal unless heating in this situation - as seen by the similar numbers for consumed current.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom