ACC mode time out - can this be changed?

Fluffykins

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I got into the MG5 to wait for Mrs Fluffykins to get back from her walk. I had pressed the start/stop button without my foot on the brake pedal, so the car came on in Acc mode and I could have the radio on. Nice.

After 5 minutes the car turned off and the radio quit, so I had to press Start/Stop again. And again. And again.

Is there any way to adjust the Acc mode timeout? 30 minutes would be great but I can't see anything in the handbook.

Thanks folk.

Unlike an ICE car there’s no point in sitting in the car draining the 12v battery in Acc mode. Switch it on into Ready mode and you can use everything with very little drain on the main battery and no wasted fuel or toxic emissions.

Just don't do that with kids in the car who might somehow shift it into drive or neutral and release the parking brake.

Sussed it (I think)

Foot off brake: press stop/start car powers up in Acc mode but with 5 min timeout
Foot still off brake: press stop/start again. Car powers up fully BUT the dash computer says the high voltage battery is disconnected, so you ain't going nowhere

Fluff

My other car is a milk float

I can’t see what purpose the car having a 12v acc mode achieves? Wouldn’t it just be better if it was designed to go straight to HV?

Sussed it (I think)

Foot off brake: press stop/start car powers up in Acc mode but with 5 min timeout
Foot still off brake: press stop/start again. Car powers up fully BUT the dash computer says the high voltage battery is disconnected, so you ain't going nowhere

Fluff

My other car is a milk float

You've pretty much sussed it. That first mode is the equivalent of position I or ACC on an ICE vehicle. There is an amber light on the stop/start button to confirm this.

That second mode is the equivalent of position II or ON on an ICE vehicle. This is confirmed by a green light.

And with the foot brake pushed at the same time as pushing the button, that is the equivalent of the START position on an ICE vehicle. The engine will start, or, on an EV, the HV battery will come online and the car will switch to READY mode.

However, in an EV, you need to kind of change the way you think about which mode you want. I can't really think of any reason why you wouldn't want READY mode, when you are parked up and waiting. READY mode will keep the 12 volt battery charged, enable you to use heating or air con and keep you comfortable and the windows demisted. The only time I wouldn't use that mode is when leaving the car unattended.

I expect the reason the car times out after 5 minutes is that it is a feature to stop you running the 12 volt battery down by accident.

Last edited:
No. If the display says ‘ready’ you have engaged the HV battery. If not - you’re on 12v. To get to ready state foot on brake button press.

No. If the display says ‘ready’ you have engaged the HV battery. If not - you’re on 12v. To get to ready state foot on brake button press.
Thanks.
So, if I want to charge at a rapid charger and use HVAC I should leave the car in READY state and connect charge plug etc?

I find that if I turn the car off and start charging then I can't get car to READY it just goes to ON.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom