ACC vs Traffic Jam Assist

andi51081

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
What’s the difference between the two? As far as I can see from the manual they both seem to do the same thing?

Technically they are the same thing but the TJA will only take you up to 20mph. You'll need to flip the CC stalk up to take you up to your desired speed for the regular ACC (as far as I can see).:)

ACC : Keeps the distance to cars in front, can speed up and slow down by itself, trying to get to the selected speed at all times, while still keeping the distance to the car in front.

TJA, will follow the car in front, keep the distance and automatically stop the car, and continue the journey if the car in front moves off. After X seconds it will require you to re-engage to make it go forward.

I love TJA, makes it so effortlessly when driving slow on the motorway, in a line because of some traffic accident.

Makes it almost impossible to bump the car in front if it suddenly comes to a stop.

ACC : Keeps the distance to cars in front, can speed up and slow down by itself, trying to get to the selected speed at all times, while still keeping the distance to the car in front.

TJA, will follow the car in front, keep the distance and automatically stop the car, and continue the journey if the car in front moves off. After X seconds it will require you to re-engage to make it go forward.

I love TJA, makes it so effortlessly when driving slow on the motorway, in a line because of some traffic accident.

Makes it almost impossible to bump the car in front if it suddenly comes to a stop.
ACC also stops the car if the one in front stops and prompts to push the go peddle after x seconds when the car in front moves off. If the difference is simply the speed at which each works then that makes sense

TJA is like ACC plus it helps steer the car as well. It may be designed for low speeds but it works just as well at 50-60mph (I know as I've used it) and maybe higher.

The main difference as detailed in the manual between the Driver Aid Systems is that, unlike ACC, Traffic Jam Assist will follow the car in front if it cannot detect the white lane lines.

2060C2F0-A7C5-4AEC-A7ED-AE53C42F0765.jpeg

The main difference as detailed in the manual between the Driver Aid Systems is that, unlike ACC, Traffic Jam Assist will follow the car in front if it cannot detect the white lane lines.

View attachment 9478
Thank you! This was the answer I was after. I had read the manual but clearly I missed that bit.

TJA is like ACC plus it helps steer the car as well. It may be designed for low speeds but it works just as well at 50-60mph (I know as I've used it) and maybe higher.
So does TJA more closely resemble one pedal driving when driving 50-60 or higher, and then when slowing at e.g traffic lights bring car to a stop rather than slow roll?

I use the double pull of the ACC stalk all the time on motorways it's a bit like Tesla autopilot but not as cleaver, it keeps you centred between the lane marking relatively well and follows the vehicle in front at a set distance according to your speed. Just using ACC alone and the car will bounce from line to line like a yoyo.

In TJA, if the car in front changes lanes eg in roadworks where cones make you move over to another lane, will it automatically follow the car in front to the other lane?

has anyone tried hanging a small weight to the steering wheel to see if it stops telling you to hold the wheel?

I see on youtube, a guy jammed an orange into the steering wheel of a tesla and tricked it

has anyone tried hanging a small weight to the steering wheel to see if it stops telling you to hold the wheel?

I see on youtube, a guy jammed an orange into the steering wheel of a tesla and tricked it
I think the police call it "driving without due care and attention" . . . points and a fine if they catch you. :)

I use the double pull of the ACC stalk all the time on motorways it's a bit like Tesla autopilot but not as cleaver, it keeps you centred between the lane marking relatively well and follows the vehicle in front at a set distance according to your speed. Just using ACC alone and the car will bounce from line to line like a yoyo.
Thank you! This was the answer I was after. I had read the manual but clearly I missed that bit.
I don't trust it in round-a-bouts though 🤣
ACC is dodgy at roundabouts too. I use TJA in preference because it seems to work predictably at all speeds and seems to silence the LKA beeping

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom