Activate head unit first!

John Li

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I took delivery of an MG ZS Trophy EV in May earlier this year. Initially I had problems binding the car but somehow managed to do it.
A few weeks ago, I went to London and had to charge it on the street. I’m not sure if it had anything to do with it but during the return journey, I lost my radio, and the range was drastically reduced. It also displayed on the screen periodically the error message ‘U disk identify failure’. And strangely enough, I had about six or seven destinations registered as work places in the GPS systems. These places were foreign which I had never been to. Previously I had none registered.
I took it the the dealer (after a two weeks’ wait) and they managed to get the radio going. However, they told me that the weather function was not working. Upon checking myself, I also found that I could not log in and the range of functions requiring logging in, such as travel plan etc, did not work. Tapping in these options resulted in the error message ‘activate head unit first’. When I tried logging in, the QR code was nowhere to be found. I then tried logging in using my telephone number but it would not allow me to choose the country code. Using email address resulted in the error message ‘ID does not exist’.
I notice that my car is running on entertainment software version R22 but I understand that R33 (the latest version) has been released for sometime.
I wonder if anyone with a ZS has had this experience and has resolved these issues. If so, I would be most grateful if you could shine light on this. Many thanks for your help.

What was your outcome? I've just got this problem on my MG4 Trophy - Non-functioning weather widget with 'activate head unit first' in several places and no QR code to be found.

Try going into Settings (Swipe Home screen right) and check if there is an activate option. Also look at privacy settings and scroll to the bottom of the screen to accept them and set the switches to on.
More details from the thread MG Trophy - a Guide although this doesn't include activation, since this should have been done by the dealer.

Last edited:
Other owners have been successful by disconnecting battery terminals or by going through the settings in the engineer's menu (see other threads). However, for my car (ZS EV), the dealer had it for a week and concluded that it needed a new head unit. Couple of weeks later, they asked for the car and had it for about 10 days. Despite fitting a new unit, the problems persisted. Eventually, they said they had fixed it. However, I still find that some options are not fully functional.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom