add cigarette plug and usb c and A on trunk

origin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello Everyone

Anyone has done this. please share where can i get the power from ? trunk light ?
Thank you
Marto

Hi, what is a trunk? Do you mean the US term for the rear storage area (a boot in the uk?) or the front bonnet (hood in the US?) where you can store small things and buy an frunk box?

With a power supply you need to think about whether you want it permanently live, or controlled on/off by the car key. The boot light is probably always live prior to the microswitch that goes on when opening the boot.

I'm not sure what the current capacity would be for a LED light circuit, I suspect low like 3A max, but the usual 12v 'cigarette lighter socket' can usually supply up to 10A from memory. So the socket couldn't supply a high power device, eg a vacuum cleaner, possibly not an electric cool box either. USB sockets can usually supply just over 2A from memory, possibly 3A for USB C.

So you could well be fitting sockets that could have devices wanting up to a total of 15A on a supply set to 3A max. It could also upset the canbus warnings if power is taken from a strange source.

Hi, what is a trunk? Do you mean the US term for the rear storage area (a boot in the uk?) or the front bonnet (hood in the US?) where you can store small things and buy an frunk box?

With a power supply you need to think about whether you want it permanently live, or controlled on/off by the car key. The boot light is probably always live prior to the microswitch that goes on when opening the boot.

I'm not sure what the current capacity would be for a LED light circuit, I suspect low like 3A max, but the usual 12v 'cigarette lighter socket' can usually supply up to 10A from memory. So the socket couldn't supply a high power device, eg a vacuum cleaner, possibly not an electric cool box either. USB sockets can usually supply just over 2A from memory, possibly 3A for USB C.

So you could well be fitting sockets that could have devices wanting up to a total of 15A on a supply set to 3A max. It could also upset the canbus warnings if power is taken from a strange source.
Hello @MartinSEsr
the boot at the back of the car. I wanted to put a cigarette plug on my 35L fridge. I am not sure if I can get the power from the back of the boot somewhere or if I need to take a long cable from the front fuse

Thank you

Who's smoking in your trunk @origin ?
👀
hahaha for my fridge at the boot of the car

I have done this on holiday journeys with a chiller box in the old car that had a 'cigarette' charge plug point in the boot / trunk. The extension cable shown above is probably the best bet. I presume it would only be needed to power when the car is on.

Hello Everyone
thank you for the suggestion
I managed to run the cable from the fuse (front cigarette plug) to the boot. 10a fuse

now I have my fridge in operate again :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom