Advice for using Mg5 as Taxi

We noticed that the MG5 in silver is a 'product placement' as a taxi on Emmerdale. If its good enough for Emmerdale its good enough for me. Mine is a red one averaging 4.6 miles per kw (no motorways).

I always reckon that any car used by lot's of taxi/PH drivers is a good 'un to use privately.

I bought my last car a Toyota Avensis partly based on this principle as I knew I would need a car to last a long time. I recently sold it after 13 years (at 16 years old) in which it never let me down on the road and rarely cost much if anything to get through the MOT. Sad to see it go but not sad to see the diesel bills go. :)

I bought my MG5 Standard Range ex demo. I use it for Private hire taxi. My insurance company, Zego, increased the inurance by £1,000.
Normal insurance was £2,090. Now, £3,000. No change in NCD or points.
Im coming up for renewal but a bit pissed off with Zego so any suggestions I would be happy to say that you referred me.

Hi,

I don't use a meter - sorry.

I have only ben using the car as a taxi for 4 weeks so still finding my feet.

The biggest benefit is the running costs. I live in Glasgow where, at the moment, there are free to use rapid chargers. I use them whenever possible. And use a cheap octopus go tariff at home. I reckon my average fuel cost per day is under £2.00, compared to £30.00 of diesel. The savings on fuel more than cover the cost of the car. Even without the free chargers, the savings are still massive.

I always start my day with 100% battery. I start early in the mornings, and most of my work is taking individuals to airports and train stations with the average run being about 8 miles. The car is perfect for that. A full charge has, so far, been lasting me all day. It is tight for space with 4 passengers compared to previous cars. Longer runs on motorways at 70 mph drain the battery pretty quickly. City driving lasts much longer.

Couple of gripes:- No tinted windows (I got tinted window film put in), no rear cabin lights - I will do that myself at some point, no parking sensors at the front - I will get that done at some point too.

I have noticed the battery draining more quickly in the colder weather, and am monitoring how that develops, but it is still enough for what I need it for. I do approx 180 miles per day and so far I have only felt the need to top up mid shift once.

I have no regrets so far at all.
Hi, Essex taxi driver here. Any help with the following question would be great: If the range is 180 miles, let's say, is that on a 100% down to 5 or 10% charge? I've read EV's should be kept between 20% and 80% so is 180 miles on 60% of charge (between 20 and 80) or closer to 100%? Hope that makes sense! Thanks, Adrian

Hi, Essex taxi driver here. Any help with the following question would be great: If the range is 180 miles, let's say, is that on a 100% down to 5 or 10% charge? I've read EV's should be kept between 20% and 80% so is 180 miles on 60% of charge (between 20 and 80) or closer to 100%? Hope that makes sense! Thanks, Adrian
As I said, I always start at 100%. The 180 miles in the winter has the battery down to about 10%. I was getting closer to 230 miles in the summer months.

The range quoted in advertising material is always in optimal circumstances. It will be with extra loads turned off, best road conditions and so on and from fully charged and balanced right down to the battery showing 0% remaining. The 80% upper limit is where rapid charging should end but there is no problem with taking it up to the 100% when you intend to make use of the capacity. As your usage is daily then charge to 100% daily.

At the other end limiting discharge to 20% is the optimal and the point where on a journey you are looking for a charger, the assumption is it will not be there exactly at 20% so going below is accepted. leaving it excessively low for any period is not advisable but again you finish the day then charge it so it doesn't happen.

Great to see your post. I'm a private hire driver in Essex do you have a mirror meter? Does it wire straight to the battery under the bonnet. How do you find the car as a taxi?

Hi, I fit taxi meters etc for a living.

I would suggest you go for a mirror meter. Something like the Cygnus mr500 or Viking mirror meter.

I fitted about a dozen mg 5's now, I also do rear lights.
Where abouts are you based please .

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom