Advice on replacing podpoint charger

cjb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Looking for some recommendations/advice on a home charger.

I'm previously a leaf owner and have a 3kw podpoint solo 2 tethered (type 1 connector)

When I bought my MG5 (pre facelift) last year I bought an adapter which had worked fine until now. We've also bought a Zoe so have been thinking for a while about upgrading to a 7kw unit.
Now it looks like the WiFi module has failed (during the cold snap before Christmas) which means scheduled charging isn't working and because it's out of warranty, the cost of someone from podpoint coming out is making me think I should get a new one (thinking 7kw, type 2, and going to keep it under £1000 given there is an existing cable run).

Were on octopus go, so looking for something that I can schedule charge on, and keeping options open on getting solar & battery at some point this year. Podpoint said on the phone they can configure the solo 3 to work with solar but I can't see anything in their documentation to back that up.

Any recommendations on chargers and installers (or ones to avoid) before I go for a podpoint solo 3?

TIA

I can't really offer advice except my original (2013) 3kw Podpoint went tits up a year or so back. it was installed for free under a Govt grant.

Anyway I found someone who rebuilt the innards using the latest Viridian equipment for a good price. I had specc'd the 7A version which could have been throttled down by a resistor, but as the care at the time managed the input I left it for the car to decide how much it wanted. He also put a Sonoff mini inside the case so I could control on/off time (using Home Assistant).

The point I am slowly reaching is that the existing cable run from my consumer unit was, luckily, 7A, otherwise I'd have had to have a sparky out to re-do it. You should check that yours is up to it as if not it could end in tears.

As an aside I have just today de-installed the Viridian in favour of an OHME unit which I picked up recently. It was new and boxed but it's the older version. But that's fine because when my GO runs out with Octopus next June and they've discontinued the tariff (which I think is quite likely) I can switch to Intelligent Octopus with the OHME charger, but the MG on it's own is not compatible. It does mean I have the Podpoint unit with the Viridian innards sitting around doing nothing... and a Type 2 cable! Both of which will be up for disposal once I am happy with the OHME.

I had specc'd the 7A version

I presume that you mean 7kW, so ~ 32A?

You should check that yours is up to it as if not it could end in tears.

Good advice. You need at least 4mm and ideally 6mm cable depending on the length of your cable run which may or may not already be fitted. Obviously you'll need a new MCB. And then there is the issue of bringing the rest of the circuit up to current specifications.

There are other options for solar but it depends on your priorities. For example the MyEnergi family including the Zappi charge point is a popular choice with good flexibility but at a higher price.

Thanks both
I am tempted by the zappi for any potential future integrations. Is it worth the extra?

I'd have serious concerns about the longevity of the Hypervolt having seen the internals. But with most of the current offerings you are entirely dependent on the continuing support from the manufacturers as they are mainly bespoke circuit boards rather than standard modules. Given the upcoming changes to AC V2G over the next 5 years and hence likely obsolescence of existing charge points I'd look for a low cost option.
The other factor is whether you might want support for smart charging such as Intelligent Octopus in the future. Given MGs failure to provide API access the only option would be a supported charge point which currently means Ohme but reputedly MyEnergi are working on it for the Zappi.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom