AEB and Front Collision Assist

Lobogris

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have tired this in several vehicles and strangely, none of them detects any vehicle or obstacle in the front unless you are using the MG Pilot. If you have it set on adaptive cruise via the Pilot, it detects vehicles in the front and stops and brakes when needed. During this time it also brakes if someone cuts into your lane. Of course it is a bit of hit or miss but generally the system sort of works. However when the MG Pilot is not on, there is no forward collision warning or emergency braking. Is this normal? I set the system to warning and apply brakes alternately and tested repeatedly but it never worked. I tried driving in to double parked cars and didn’t brake until the absolutely last moment but there was absolutely no response from the system. Similarly I pretended to crash in to cars in front by driving faster and also tried it when approaching stopped traffic at a light. Is it working for other people?

Not had to use the AEB system yet, but what really concerns me is you tried to drive into parked cars and crash into cars, or did I miss read the post?

I have tired this in several vehicles and strangely, none of them detects any vehicle or obstacle in the front unless you are using the MG Pilot. If you have it set on adaptive cruise via the Pilot, it detects vehicles in the front and stops and brakes when needed. During this time it also brakes if someone cuts into your lane. Of course it is a bit of hit or miss but generally the system sort of works. However when the MG Pilot is not on, there is no forward collision warning or emergency braking. Is this normal? I set the system to warning and apply brakes alternately and tested repeatedly but it never worked. I tried driving in to double parked cars and didn’t brake until the absolutely last moment but there was absolutely no response from the system. Similarly I pretended to crash in to cars in front by driving faster and also tried it when approaching stopped traffic at a light. Is it working for other people?
Ummm don’t know what to say!!? Why would you even think about it!? It’s there and as you have found out, it’s working, surly the name gives it away?!!
Ahhh just noticed your location……..

No, the screams from my passengers has always distracted me from any warning lights on the dash....

Not had to use the AEB system yet, but what really concerns me is you tried to drive into parked cars and crash into cars, or did I miss read the post?
Obviously I was prepared to brake and did apply brakes safely. I tried to close the distance to the bare minimum possible without braking to see if the system would respond. It wasn't unsafe as I was paying complete attention and was ready to brake and obviously did successfully brake each time

Ummm don’t know what to say!!? Why would you even think about it!? It’s there and as you have found out, it’s working, surly the name gives it away?!!
Ahhh just noticed your location……..
I am not sure what my location has to do with it. I just wanted to see if the system actually works and how good it is. For example, would it warn me when I was xx feet away and so on. However it never worked when the MG Pilot was off. That's why I posed the question to see if it only works when MG Pilot is on?

Do a quick search (top right of screen) for the word priming on this forum. You will see quite a few comments re this.

I tried driving in to double parked cars and didn’t brake until the absolutely last moment but there was absolutely no response from the system. Similarly I pretended to crash in to cars in front by driving faster and also tried it when approaching stopped traffic at a light. Is it working for other people?
Your stupid driving behaviour leaves a lot to be desired. The open road is no place to drive to 'pretend' to crash into cars or drive 'faster' when approaching traffic at a light. You are unnecessary increasing your chances of causing an accident and injuring someone. You are probably someone who thinks they are are such a good driver they couldn't possibly cause an accident by driving in such an irresponsible manner.
If you suspect your car is not operating correctly take it to an MG dealership and let them diagnose the problem.

Last edited:
Your stupid driving behaviour leaves a lot to be desired. The open road is no place to drive to 'pretend' to crash into cars or drive 'faster' when approaching traffic at a light. You are unnecessary increasing your chances of causing an accident and injuring someone. You are probably someone who thinks they are are such a good driver they couldn't possibly cause an accident by driving in such an irresponsible manner.
If you suspect your car is not operating correctly take it to an MG dealership and let them diagnose the problem.
I wish I had been borne an expert on everything like you, you are so lucky to have this gift!

I have similar - especially given that some people on here complain that the emergency braking is a touch over-sensitive, I have neither had the car brake or even heard the pump priming, I have however had a dash warning and reacted accordingly. I have never really been in a situation where the car needed to brake though, normally the warning is enough for me to react. Strangely though I haven't been tempted to test it by driving at things... (by the way - Mine is a 5LR, not a ZS)

I do think though that in these days of health and safety gone mad, there are often warning labels and statements in manuals that make you think "What made them put that there? Surely no-one would be daft enough to do that....". This was one of them:
Screenshot 2021-10-12 123338.png

I wish I had been borne an expert on everything like you, you are so lucky to have this gift!
Tell this to a parent who has a child injured due to deliberate irresponsible driving, I have spent a lifetime using my expertise to educate. You are not born with a 'gift' it is called studying.

Last edited:
Oh, and @Lobogris - one tip I picked up from here is that the sensitivity setting only affects the alert, not the actual braking intervention. (that's not very clear in the '5 manual)

I am not sure what my location has to do with it. I just wanted to see if the system actually works and how good it is. For example, would it warn me when I was xx feet away and so on. However it never worked when the MG Pilot was off. That's why I posed the question to see if it only works when MG Pilot is on?
your location has proved what I have witnessed with New Delhi driving habits, how you can just dismiss your actions ( that you have documented on the internet) when behind the wheel of almost 2000kgs of mass is just beyond belief.🤯
I sure hope you never come to this country and start to driving like that.

Im sure the next thing you will want to start testing are the seatbelts and airbags. That sound like a plan?😵‍💫

as several peeps have said, if you think something is wrong, take it back to the point of sale…..

I don’t see why you are taking this high handed approach. There was absolutely nothing dangerous in what I did. Normally, I am a very safe driver and thus I keep a good amount of distance between myself and the vehicle in front. Due to defensive driving and the effort to maximise range on an EV, I would start coasting and applying gentle brakes from a distance upon seeing an obstacle up ahead. In this case, all I did was apply brakes a little later on but still well within safe limits. Sort of like an aggressive driver would do but not so late that I would be almost touching the vehicle in the front. I still stopped easily with a few feet to spare. It is not like I tried to run over a pedestrian to test it. I would suggest avoiding name calling without reason. For all we know, I might be a far safer driver than you. We can make such assumptions.
By the way, I drive in the UK a lot including in the Midlands and I have driven around the world extensively.

your location has proved what I have witnessed with New Delhi driving habits, how you can just dismiss your actions ( that you have documented on the internet) when behind the wheel of almost 2000kgs of mass is just beyond belief.🤯
I sure hope you never come to this country and start to driving like that.

Im sure the next thing you will want to start testing are the seatbelts and airbags. That sound like a plan?😵‍💫

as several peeps have said, if you think something is wrong, take it back to the point of sale…..
I see. So now you want to resort to blatant racism and some sort of assumed superiority. By this logic, I should look at your location and then generalise all ills found in the UK and assume that you would also engage in them. There are good and bad drivers everywhere. If I were a bad driver as you are assuming, I wouldn’t even care about defensive driving aids like AEB. The very fact that I am concerned about additional safety features should tell you the sort of driving I practice.

Ok.... Just go get a big cardboard box , wrap it with aluminium foil and try driving into that.....if it doesn't brake...be worried....
That is a good idea. First I was trying to understand how MG has configured the system as they didn’t seem to understand its full characteristics. They kept talking about the MG Pilot and in the two test drives I took, it only seemed to work when the Pilot was engaged. That’s why I posted this thread to see if it was working for others.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom