AEB False Positive resulting in near whiplash! 2022 SE

andi51081

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So I’m travelling along at a conservative 20mph and see a car pull up to a junction to my left but he clearly stopped shy of the line. All of a sudden the AEB kicked in at full force bringing me to a complete stop in less than a second, no collision warning, visual or audio.

Luckily the car behind was able to stop before he went into the back of me, he was NOT happy, and rightly so.

My neck is killing me and I could smell the brakes afterwards.

In summary, AEB works, I just wish it wasn’t quite this random 😫🤣

Here my dashcam footage, excuse the swearing lol. You can clearly see that neither the pedestrian nor the car to the left warranted this response from the AEB

Last edited:
So I’m travelling along at a conservative 20mph and see a car pull up to a junction to my left but he clearly stopped shy of the line. All of a sudden the AEB kicked in at full force bringing me to a complete stop in less than a second, no collision warning, visual or audio.

Luckily the car behind was able to stop before he went into the back of me, he was NOT happy, and rightly so.

My neck is killing me and I could smell the brakes afterwards.

In summary, AEB works, I just wish it wasn’t quite this random 😫🤣

Here my dashcam footage, excuse the swearing lol. You can clearly see that neither the pedestrian nor the car to the left warranted this response from the AEB

Video
Same happened to us when we had the Gen1 version of the ZS EV.
Travelling thought a nice Cheshire village in a spear camera monitored 30 Mph limit zone.
We where doing about 28 Mph and suddenly a “White Van Man” approached from a hedge covered side road, he approached the junction at speed and the front end of his van actually crossed the stop 🛑 line.
I did see him brake violently hard and reacted quickly, the car spotted the issue a second latter and decided to slam on the brakes really hard !.
I sudden you think what would have happened if we where not wearing seat belts.
It was very brief, but very scary !.
How the car behind never rear ended us, I will never know !.
So yes it worked !.
But even as a OAP - My reactions where still faster than the cars I am glad to say 🤣.
Ever since then, if I see a car nudging over the white line at a side junction, I steer a little closer to the white line now !.
It’s not a pleasant experience I can tell you.

Video doesn't work.
Try something more accessible like YouTube.
Though its iCloud, works well for me from windows.
also just tried from android, where the video also loads.

Given that is in an apple platform, and my 2 non apple devices are working well, I don't see why apple devices wouldn't work?

I'm actually quite a fan as it doesn't have anywhere near as many compression artifacts as the YouTube uploads have

I did not even know it did that. I thought the AEB was only when the radar detected something.

I guess this must have been the camera picking up something it considered a risk of getting in front of you.

Car behind will offcourse stop, i bet even UK traffic rules has a clause that says that you must keep sufficient distance to the vehicle in front to stop, if the vehicle stops.

Next time it will be some kid jumping out, just in front of one of the parked cars to retrieve a ball, and you or AEB stomping the brake, and the guy behind would want to keep good distance as to not just ram into you, so your car runs the kid over anyway, because he/she bumps you forward.

Thanks for that Andy !.
That is the very same thing that happened to us once ( see #5 abve ).
A car enters from a side junction ( quickly ) from the left, and then suddenly brakes hard ( last minute ) at the line, the AEB spots the potential accident, and reacts with a "full on" emergency stop !.

So you probably won't like this but the car reacted exactly as it was supposed to.

It detected a car that was likely to pull straight out into the road and rather than wait a second longer and risk potentially not having enough room to stop, it stopped... 10/10 for this system.

It happened again!! This time I let KERS slow me on approach as I was still wary from the last time. I know it’s doing its job but damn it can be annoying and potentially dangerous. I’m worried it’s damaging the brakes.

It happened again!! This time I let KERS slow me on approach as I was still wary from the last time. I know it’s doing its job but damn it can be annoying and potentially dangerous. I’m worried it’s damaging the brakes.
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity in the settings?

Actually ignore that, the manual doesn't mention anything about sensitivity. must have been something I remember seeing on my previous car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom