Air conditioning noises

MrG

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all. Been making full use of AC last few days. However, I've noticed a strange whirring noise with the air con when in the car that wasn't there a few weeks ago. It goes off when I slow down, but comes back as I accelerate.

Then, from the outside, a buzzing sound whenever air con is on.

Is this common? (Never had a car with air con so just asking!)

The ZS aircon is not known to be noisy. You can hear the pump when its in operation, but it’s not really evident from inside the car. As far as it being linked to slowing down and accelerating when driving that should not effect it. Are you sure it’s aircon? Some get a very slight vibration when in use. I suggest get it checked with your dealer as there have been cases of noisy aircon pumps, but it may be something else entirely.

The ZS aircon is not known to be noisy. You can hear the pump when its in operation, but it’s not really evident from inside the car. As far as it being linked to slowing down and accelerating when driving that should not effect it. Are you sure it’s aircon? Some get a very slight vibration when in use. I suggest get it checked with your dealer as there have been cases of noisy aircon pumps, but it may be something else entirely.
We noticed the battery cooling pump operating this weekend due to the high ambient temperature, that was a new noise but because we knew what it was we soon got used to it.

We noticed the battery cooling pump operating this weekend due to the high ambient temperature, that was a new noise but because we knew what it was we soon got used to it.
And does that vary its sound based on how fast the car is moving?

Is the buzzing sound you hear if you get out of the car a normal thing with air con then?

And does that vary its sound based on how fast the car is moving?
Not that I noticed.

The aircon pump cuts in & out as soon as the operating pressure is reached, if you sit in the car with the READY illuminated and aircon on you will hear it cut in & out.

Aircon generally has a fan drawing air in through a radiator type cooler, never looked too closely on the ZSEV but my guess is the fan runs at variable speed so perhaps it varies with vehicle speed.

Most likely the battery cooler. Mine makes a slight noise and slight vibration when in the car and a buzzing sound from outside the car. Once the car is moving the air temperature probably reduces the temperature of the battery enough and it goes off, else the road noise is loud enough not to hear it anymore.

I noticed mine vibrating through the steering wheel for about half a minute yesterday when I first turned the AC on as I got in the car, it was 50 deg C inside the car and 28 deg C outside.

I noticed mine vibrating through the steering wheel for about half a minute yesterday when I first turned the AC on as I got in the car, it was 50 deg C inside the car and 28 deg C outside.
Yeah - Situation normal at this end @Kithmo .
I picked up on this little the "Drone Sound & Vibration" through the steering wheel when the car is at a stand still and when the A/C is working hard, early last summer.
It is just about noticeable when the car is at a stand still, and the A/C is on a low setting.
The lower ( colder ) the setting, the more frequent the A/C pump kicks in of course.
You don't notice the slight "drone" noise when the car is travelling of course and vibration is almost impossible to detect also.
This summer is the very same, no different in any way type or form.

I had the noise today. It was 30c outside and car had been standing. I had aircon on. A very loud wiring sound that changes its intensity depending in speed. No idea what it is unless as others have said battery cooling? Not heard it until today but it is very warm!

I had the noise today. It was 30c outside and car had been standing. I had aircon on. A very loud wiring sound that changes its intensity depending in speed. No idea what it is unless as others have said battery cooling? Not heard it until today but it is very warm!
That's the one! Glad it's not just me!

Its Radiator Cooling Fan Noise, Don't worry if this is your first summer with this car.
it happens when ambient temperature higher than 30 degrees Celsius as I guess, and speed of the fan is getting higher with driving speed.
I experience this every day here in UAE because temperature is reaching 45 and more​

Its Radiator Cooling Fan Noise, Don't worry if this is your first summer with this car.
it happens when ambient temperature higher than 30 degrees Celsius as I guess, and speed of the fan is getting higher with driving speed.
I experience this every day here in UAE because temperature is reaching 45 and more​
Thanks. It’s not about summer temps here. We don’t see 30c that often! It was probably a shock to the car!

I had my aircon on full chat the other day in the sweltering heat, the noise was shocking, it was making more noise than a V8 Rangerover!! Very unbecoming of a usually silent EV! :LOL:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom