Alternative charger cable

hmadsen

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Ok, so the type 2 cable is just a cable that does AC transfer from the grid to the onboard AC to DC converter / charger.

So...If i sometimes park where they have a CEE outlet with a connector like the one shown below, would it not be possible to buy a normal type 2 cable, chop off the end that is connected to the destination charger and replace it with a connector like this one below. (And adjust the resistor to tell the car to only draw 16A)

This is a Scandinavian spec car, so if i feed it 3 phases each of 16A, it would charge at the max 11KWh speed, the AC charger supports.

Is this possible, or is this a terrible idea. :) ??

The connector supports 32A, so it should be able to take the load :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This might be a safer way of doing it👍
I wonder what that box actually does, it is quite a bit more expensive than just the cable.

This box is not ideal for me though, as it seems to be only 1 phase and the Scandinavian charger is only able to charge at 3,6 KWh on a single phase.

But if there were a box that did 3 phase charging i would be tempted to buy one.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The problem is the cee in blue is still only single phase so would need the red one to plug a there phase charger to you will need a charger to activate the pilot pin?
Back to the blue plug it would need to be almost 60amp then split in to 3 to get 11kw
This sort of 11kW would be handy
Screenshot_20220511_181148.jpg

Last edited:
Look up “3-phase EVSE” that’s what you need. Plenty on AliExpress and the like. A raw cable won’t do as there’s no way for the car to understand and complete the charging handshake.

Ok folks hold your horses. A Type 2 to Type 2 does more than just pass AC from one end to the other. For a start there are the CP and P wires over which the EVSE (ie your wall box) and the vehicle charger communicate over to perform safety checks and then negotiating the charge rate to offer the AC to the vehicle. Only when all the conditions are met will the EVSE (which stands for Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) enable the supply of AC to the car.

Ohme do offer a Smart "Portable EVSE" commonly called a "Granny Charger" with 3 different plugs on the supply side. Here in the UK that is a standard 3 Pin domestic plug version capped at 10Amp as an intelligent replacement for the standard OME Granny Charger, and a Type 2 to Type 2 version capped at 32 Amp to give Smart features to a Dumb Type 2 home or workplace charger and finally a 32 Amp version with a Blue Single phase Commando plug. The Ohme EVSE works with its own monitor and control app and can be linked to static (ie OctopusGo) and Dynamic (ie Octopus Agile) time of day tariffs to optimise use of off peek pricing.

More on discounted Ohme EVSE on Octopus Energy at Ohme Octopus discount offer

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he has an EVSE just single and three phase commando. I sent a link for EVSE with commando similar to the Ohme👍

I to have showed the right hardware to be safe BTW I don't think we are allowed to display referral codes? Also I do believe he was after 11kw I don't then ohme cater for that?

I to have showed the right hardware to be safe BTW I don't think we are aloud to display referral codes? Also I do bleave he was after 11kw I don't then ohme cater for that?
Yes I agree the hardware you showed would certainly provide single phase and possibly 3 phase although I've not seen a three phase "portable" ESVE advertised anywhere. The cable on the Green Wallbox in the picture doesn't look thick enough for three phase IMHO. I offered comment on the Ohme because I looked at getting one myself and my daughter has one which she has fixed to the wall and hard wired (rather than Commando Plug) and I therefore know something of it. Octopus Energy used to offer them at half price subsidised cost of £199 a year or so ago when I was looking at them but checking today i see that as we might expect the Hardwired Ohme EVSE has increased in price even with the Octopus subsidy. I have no vested interest in what information I have to offer wrt the Ohme and if the original question relates to a vehicle not only of Scandinavian spec but to be used in that region then perhaps the principle only if not the product in particular is relevant. However, it may be of assistance to UK owners on the forum.

Regarding referral codes. If my comments in a discussion are relevant to charging and I think a new member or owner may be helped by a code then I will offer it since it gives them a discount. I have received DMs from several members appreciative of what I have commented on and thanking me for the referral code the have gone on to use. I'm appreciative of them taking the time to do so and that they have received £50 off their bills. I don't offer referral code often but when i do it is always relevant. What I have never done, and would never do is include it in my signature or blatantly post just a referral code unrelated to any post. I have responded to several people who have spammed discussions with one line posts simply say "Use my referral code Blar Blar Blar" that is inappropriate and not what this forum is for.

Yer I went with ohme as they where one of two manufacturers that work ovo for 5p charging 24/7 I would imagine three phase ones should be easyer to find in Europe as its used more there?

Hi

It's clear now, that there needs to be more than just a cable, i just remember a colleague that at a pretty early state, bought a Model S, and i believe he had some sort of cable to plug between the car and a CEE connector to charge the car, when he visited the site i work at.

With the prices of a proper charger solution for these CEE wall connectors, i don't think it will be economically feasible (Cost, vs how much i will be able to charge at these charge points).

Thank you for educating me in the noble art of charging my EV....Most things are not as easy as one would want :)

The cable on the Green Wallbox in the picture doesn't look thick enough for three phase IMHO.
Just looking back at this in some cases a three phase cable is thinner than single phase a single phase 7kw will need 3x6mm cable but a three phase 11kw will need 5x2.5mm cable which is actually smaller so its hard do go off pictures not till 22kw will it need 5x6mm cable hopefully this will make sense more cables don't mean thicker unless you go by amps then they will be😊

Regarding referral codes. If my comments in a discussion are relevant to charging and I think a new member or owner may be helped by a code then I will offer it since it gives them a discount. I have received DMs from several members appreciative of what I have commented on and thanking me for the referral code the have gone on to use. I'm appreciative of them taking the time to do so and that they have received £50 off their bills. I don't offer referral code often but when i do it is always relevant. What I have never done, and would never do is include it in my signature or blatantly post just a referral code unrelated to any post. I have responded to several people who have spammed discussions with one line posts simply say "Use my referral code Blar Blar Blar" that is inappropriate and not what this forum is for.
Whilst your efforts to spread the joy of Octopus and earn a bit of referral dosh are both admirable and understandable, it is against the forum rules, hence why I and most others do not do it, and you have cornered the market.

Whilst your efforts to spread the joy of Octopus and earn a bit of referral dosh are both admirable and understandable, it is against the forum rules, hence why I and most others do not do it, and you have cornered the market.

If the forum rules have changed as of 8 April then I will desist. As I said in my comment earlier certain members were abusing the forum by just posting referral links which I thought was an objectionable practice in any case.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom