And this is why we need spare tyres!

macd2401

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
IMG-20210628-WA0003.jpeg

Came back from a weekend trip away last night, and on the journey, noticed the back right was showing high 20s psi, whilst everything else was mid 30s. Took the wheel off today, and found that little darling hanging out of the tread 🤦‍♂️

Sods law says of course it wouldn't be in the repairable area, there's nobody with any replacements in stock (Hankook Kinergy 4S²), and delivery will take a few days (back to work before any available delivery slot). And yes, the tyres are only a few months old 🤦‍♂️

Am now feeling pretty glad that I bought a spare wheel a few weeks ago (even though it was a spacesaver) because at least now I've got some options to keep me going until the new tyre gets here.

Last edited:
Yep, I invested in a spacesaver too.

My original tyres are Michelins, I thought they were standard.

Yep, I invested in a spacesaver too.

My original tyres are Michelins, I thought they were standard.
I changed mine from the Michelins to all seasons. Force of habit, been doing it with pretty much every car I've ever owned. The council isn't known for keeping the local roads cleared in winter 🤣

Only had my ZS EV a couple of weeks but glad I took advice from this forum and bought a space saver spare tyre. Feel more secure with it on board - you never know. Would get MG AA to do the hard work Of changing the wheel.

View attachment 3801

Came back from a weekend trip away last night, and on the journey, noticed the back right was showing high 20s psi, whilst everything else was mid 30s. Took the wheel off today, and found that little darling hanging out of the tread 🤦‍♂️

Sods law says of course it wouldn't be in the repairable area, there's nobody with any replacements in stock (Hankook Kinergy 4S²), and delivery will take a few days (back to work before any available delivery slot). And yes, the tyres are only a few months old 🤦‍♂️

Am now feeling pretty glad that I bought a spare wheel a few weeks ago (even though it was a spacesaver) because at least now I've got some options to keep me going until the new tyre gets here.
Looks like it could be a new tyre needed - they can’t normally be safely repaired when so close to the edge.

That's a shame about your tyre but glad it was a slow puncture so you were able to get yourself home! Where did you get your spacesaver from please?

Cheers

Bloggsy

That's a shame about your tyre but glad it was a slow puncture so you were able to get yourself home! Where did you get your spacesaver from please?

Cheers

Bloggsy
Was here, promotoruk on ebay.

Had a slight issue with the first one they sent out (tyre wasn't even close to new) but they sent out a replacement (and left me with the original... 2 spares, ain't I lucky 🤦‍♂️)

On the upside, battery usage is bugger all and economy is fantastic when you can't break 50mph 🤣🤣

20210628_162649.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I had one of these for my bike:

It's now in the boot of the car, reckon it might've just sorted this type of puncture.
I've got a kit for the bike, not sure of the manufacturer off the top of my head. Looks like a door key, but with a screw in spike that you force into the puncture, then snap off.

I've got a kit for the bike, not sure of the manufacturer off the top of my head. Looks like a door key, but with a screw in spike that you force into the puncture, then snap off.

Sounds similar to the Stop & Go kit I have.

Daft question I know, but can they not put a tube in that almost new tyre ????.
I know it’s a tubeless tyre, but fitting a tube was seen as a good work around at one time ?????.
If the side wall was damaged, then no.
But it’s a shame to discard that tyre.
Make a perfect spare if you had a full size wheel !.

I bet the standard Michelins are expensive. Has anyone had new tyres yet on their ZS? How many miles do the fronts last?

Daft question I know, but can they not put a tube in that almost new tyre ????.
I know it’s a tubeless tyre, but fitting a tube was seen as a good work around at one time ?????.
If the side wall was damaged, then no.
But it’s a shame to discard that tyre.
Make a perfect spare if you had a full size wheel !.
A tube in a tubeless tyre is fine for a "get you home" situation but not recommended for normal use. Tubeless tyres tend to be ribbed on the inside, which can rub on the tube and overheat the tyre.
If the tube is not the exact size of the tyre, which is nearly always difficult to source, the same happens.

View attachment 3801

Ouch!!

A tube in a tubeless tyre is fine for a "get you home" situation but not recommended for normal use. Tubeless tyres tend to be ribbed on the inside, which can rub on the tube and overheat the tyre.
If the tube is not the exact size of the tyre, which is nearly always difficult to source, the same happens.
Thanks for that.
Great for a spare wheel though, IF you have a full size rim ( as I suggested ) 👍.

I bet the standard Michelins are expensive. Has anyone had new tyres yet on their ZS? How many miles do the fronts last?
Not me !.
We have covered 12,500 miles and the fronts still have plenty of life in them at the moment.
VW suggest that new tyres should be fitted when they down to 4mm !.
A new tyre only has between 7 and 7.5mm on the tread when new for gods sake !.
Another money spinner.
I fully understand that tyres are the last thing between you and the road, but come on, replacement at 4.0mm is just madness!.
On a lot of the FWD drive cars I have owned, front replaces are usually fitted at around the 20,000 mile mark ish.
VW also recommend doing a wheel front to back rotation every 5,000 miles.
I do support this idea because it evens out the tyre wear, but means that all four tyres are likely to be replaced at the same time.
More expensive in the long term, but I have found that tyres left on the rear for a long time, results in the side wall cracking due to UV and age etc.
Therefore these tyres need replacing due to the hair line cracks, but the tyre still has usable tread left.
This why I prefer rotation myself.
It was something that could be done at home on my previous VW.
But I think I am right in saying that you can not do this on the ZS because it remembers it position on the car.
It must be the TPMS system they use ?.
Strange that the front and rear tyre pressure are the same, but the car knows if you have done a wheel rotation ????.
Question :- If when you replace your front tyres, will the TPMS system flag up a warning on the dash that needs resetting at the dealers ?.
Or if you refit the wheel back into its same location, will it be fine ???.
My guess is it would because it has been returned to the same location,
I think that is a crazy way for the system to work myself.

Strange that the front and rear tyre pressure are the same, but the car knows if you have done a wheel rotation ????.
Question :- If when you replace your front tyres, will the TPMS system flag up a warning on the dash that needs resetting at the dealers ?.
Or if you refit the wheel back into its same location, will it be fine ???.
My guess is it would because it has been returned to the same location,
I think that is a crazy way for the system to work myself.
The car doesn't know you've rotated the wheels, that's the point. The car will be saying that back right is a bit down, but it is actually on the front right now (or wherever you put it).

...and for the pedants for right read offside in the UK, and Aus, etc. etc.

The car doesn't know you've rotated the wheels, that's the point.
That is a shite TPMS system used by MG I think.
The VAG group system is a much better system.
You rotate the wheels and it learns the rotation straight away.
It works in conjunction with the ABS system in some way.
So, you have two front tyres fitted at your local tyre shop and they refit the wheel to the opposite side of the car.
Next stop, off to the dealers to get them to reset TPMS as it can not adapt to the change of location.
Poor that !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom