Android Auto dropping out

Lewo

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have an MG ZS EV Exclusive and initially could not connect Android Auto. I took the vehicle back to the dealership to fix which they appeared to have done (it looks like the USB ports were wired the wrong way round?), however I still find Android Auto does not connect easily (I usually have to fiddle with settings on the phone at connection) and it regularly drops out after various periods of time. I thought it might have been my phone (LG G6), but this does not appear to be the case as the phone has no issue at all connecting to my partner's Ford system (no issues on connection and never drops out). Anybody else had this?

I’ve had issues with my Samsung, didn’t always connect straight away. I also had a Nokia 2.2 which I couldn’t connect at all. I read some articles about connection problems and saw one which said delete the auto Android app from the phone and reinstall. I did this and now I have no problems with the connection. Might be worth a try and see if this works for you like it did for me.

We had the same issues, First it was leads, then my Xiaomi would not connect at all, other halfs Sony did connect fine. Update leads, reinstall A/Auto App, update to latest vsn of Android 9, still an issue with Xiaomi so had bit the bullet and ordered a Google Pixel , here's hoping !

All too technical for me chaps......right out of my comfort zone. My I phone seems to work ok, thats as much as I can say. I did buy a cheap lead for in once, which only worked if you had it a certain way up!

Very much appreciate your replies and suggestions. I have already changed the leads (tested...working fine) and that didn't work. I did originally uninstall and reinstall Android Auto on the "fix" at the dealership and obviously the problem was there, however I'll try it again.

Also make sure you use the correct lead for the phone as that does seem to also make a difference..

I have just tried setting up android auto on my one plus one phone and what shambles,
1) Entertainment system would not see the phone even when plugged in.
2) Several reboots and re installations of Android Auto and the little kite sign lit up ( great)
3) pressing the kite sign a message appeared on screen To use Android Auto please stop your car and follow the instructions on your mobile phone, well the car was stopped and no instruction appeared on the phone.
4) restarted car and phone , then the screen went blank when I plugged the lead in but the radio stayed playing, restarted car, screen stayed blank. (12 volt battery fully charged before problem so not flat)
5) After plugging the car in and charging for 1 minute the screen came back on after restarting the car
6) Android Auto then worked, clicked on google maps which loaded up and then froze, not allowing me to do anything else, switched car off and on again.
7) Tried a different phone a Samsung, this still froze once google maps loaded also used a different lead.
8) Now all I get is the message To use Android Auto please stop your car and follow the instructions on your mobile phone, well the car was stopped and instruction appeared on the phone.

I have only had the car 8 weeks and 7 have been in the garage not being used, I'm disappointed with this and hope it's not things to come. I really need Android Auto to work.
Any ideals

Attachments

• IMG_20200522_135118.jpg
    IMG_20200522_135118.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 205
In relation to stop the car make sure it is in park...I had a similar issue and that resolved it.
Are you using the correct usb lead that actually came with the phone this is another issue I found with android auto (not MG) that it needs to be the correct lead; I didn’t know they were different but I believe it’s something to do with the power flow. I found that on YouTube.
To be honest these are the only issues I’ve had with it, but I do understand how annoying it is and hopefully you’ll resolve it soon.

Following with interest. I have a Galaxy A10, using the supplied lead this will connect to my PC so I know it's a data cable, phone tells me Android Auto is installed however I cannot get the car to connect, although it will charge the phone. USBs are ok because I have had a storage stick connected for music. At a loss what to try next.

I'm no expert...but I seem to remember you need to plug it in the correct USB on the car.....have you double checked that? (My Apple car play works fine.)

I’ve no ideas as mine works fine, the only suggestion I would make is to remove the Bluetooth link to the car, and the car from the phone, uninstall the app and try the whole setup process again incase the app didn’t download correctly.

Android Auto is not my thing, however is there a difference between Bluetooth and Bluetooth BLE a cause of problems

Well, since my original post I've changed mobile phone. I now have the LG G8 and this connects quicker, doesn't need any fiddling about with options on connection and appears to be solid? Of course due to limited lock down I am unable to have a real distance/time drive? But it looks promising so far. Btw I didn't change my phone due to the problem, it was just a fantastic deal!

Following on from my problems and the suggestion to use the original lead that came with the phone, I have
1) Tried Android Auto with the cable that i have been using to setup, it froze again.
2) Got the original lead which has a temperamental connector and yes android Auto worked fine ( yes).
3) Just as an experiment I connected the first non original cable and Android Auto now works fine ( yes).

so maybe to setup Android Auto you need the original lead that comes with the phone, I have ordered a new small 12 inch cable to same messy cables and will let people know if that works fine.

Following on from my problems and the suggestion to use the original lead that came with the phone, I have
1) Tried Android Auto with the cable that i have been using to setup, it froze again.
2) Got the original lead which has a temperamental connector and yes android Auto worked fine ( yes).
3) Just as an experiment I connected the first non original cable and Android Auto now works fine ( yes).

so maybe to setup Android Auto you need the original lead that comes with the phone, I have ordered a new small 12 inch cable to same messy cables and will let people know if that works fine.
Glad that it’s now working and that our suggestions helped.

Maybe this will help:

1.Download from Playstore Droid Hardware Info app
2.After install open, agree and go to System.
3.Check your Phone's processor type at Instruction sets. Mine says arm64-v8a
4.Close app and go on Phone to APK mirror and select latest version of Android Auto
5.Select the correct version which mtaches your Phone's processor
6.Download correct version and install
7.Connect with car via USB and follow instructions
It should work now

Just got my EV book into the dealers in July as the entertainment screen randomly locks up and you have to leave 20 minutes before it restarts, Android Auto randomly locks up, MG pilot not setting and lane assist will not switch off, again randomly happening, two images shown on display when reversing happened twice. Asked the garage if it would cost me and his reply was "if it's covered my the warranty".

Surely if the car is only 4 months old it should still be covered?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom