Android auto , phone does not connect

Rex

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have down loaded the google android auto app. to my phone, and checked compatible cars ,MG was not in their list.
The car and phone will not connect.
So should it work with this app. Or is there a specific app for the MG?

I have found on my S8 phone that if the app is running then it wont connect and it says on the car 'please connect an android device'. So I touch the 3 vertical lines at the bottom of my phone screen and close all apps and connect cable again and it works. Will check if there is a setting in android auto to stop it starting when it detects the cars bluetooth.

So there is an auto launch setting in Android Auto which I have now turned off so I will try that next time I am in car.

I have found it doesn't connect for me either, I have to tap on the USB accessory notification then select Let the other device decide on the type of connection. It then connects through fine.

So there is an auto launch setting in Android Auto which I have now turned off so I will try that next time I am in car.
Thankyou for the great advice.
I turned auto launch off, and Android auto works perfectly.
This MG forum is brilliant, have found such good advice here , especially when the MG manual is unhelpful.

Try pluging lead into phone first then plug into car, my phone will not connect when plugged into car first, its really a pain, my phone is oneplus3

Mine has been fine since I turned, auto launch off on my phone in the App setup.
I leave the lead in the car connection, and just plug phone in to lead, all OK.
Before that, car didn't even recognise the phone.

I spent months trying to get AA to work with my ZS then in the gap between Lockdowns late summer I spent an hour with my dealer and he delved into the manual online for my phone and Android Auto support is NOT mentioned anywhere. The conclusion was that Huawei phones are iffy and my model is definitely NOT Compatible.

I've bought a Samsung which if it connected after the car is READY and the phone has either Google Maps or Waze open on the phone only then will Android Auto connect, although it will need plugging and unplugging the lead one or two times.

Another incompatibility is Xiaomi phones (and sub-brands RealMi RedMi Pocco OPPO etc) have issues too relating to the incompatibility of AndroidAuto with a feature on recent versions of Android that allows you to have Two account for certain Apps on the same p[hone ie a personal and work WhatsApp or Facebook. There is a hack listed on various forums but it is messy and involves wiping all the data from your phone

I spent months trying to get AA to work with my ZS then in the gap between Lockdowns late summer I spent an hour with my dealer and he delved into the manual online for my phone and Android Auto support is NOT mentioned anywhere. The conclusion was that Huawei phones are iffy and my model is definitely NOT Compatible.

I've bought a Samsung which if it connected after the car is READY and the phone has either Google Maps or Waze open on the phone only then will Android Auto connect, although it will need plugging and unplugging the lead one or two times.

Another incompatibility is Xiaomi phones (and sub-brands RealMi RedMi Pocco OPPO etc) have issues too relating to the incompatibility of AndroidAuto with a feature on recent versions of Android that allows you to have Two account for certain Apps on the same p[hone ie a personal and work WhatsApp or Facebook. There is a hack listed on various forums but it is messy and involves wiping all the data from your phone
I used to have a Huawei phone and the connection was always really iffy, tried everything to make it work properly. Changed to a OnePlus and works perfectly every time

I have a Xiaomi note 9 and it works fine

I have downloaded the google android auto app. to my phone, and checked compatible cars, MG was not on their list.
The car and phone will not connect.
So should it work with this app? Or is there a specific app for the MG?
I made the same mistake if you have a fairly new phone with the latest android version, android auto is already installed on the system you don't need the app if you install it they compete against each other, I just uninstalled the app and it worked fine but you do have to have a decent data and charge cable or it drops off now and then which is frustrating so a good cable is a must, glad you have fixed the problem as maps etc. work much faster

I made the same mistake if you have a fairly new phone with the latest android version, android auto is already installed on the system you don't need the app if you install it they compete against each other, I just uninstalled the app and it worked fine but you do have to have a decent data and charge cable or it drops off now and then which is frustrating so a good cable is a must, glad you have fixed the problem as maps etc. work much faster
Android 10 onward Android Auto is incorporated in the build and an app isn't required true but Android also has this feature to allow dual sign up accounts of third party apps ie WhatsApp. this feature on certain makers phones screws up Android Auto and prevents it from setting up the connection. My Huawei phone although on Android 10 did not support it only Flagship Huawei phones say that they do.

Another issue with Android Auto which doesn't exist with Apple Car Play is that Android phones when they hit full charge disconnect their USB charge port and the Android Auto in the car head unit thinks you've unplugged it and shuts down Android Auto. iPhones don't do this they manage their charging and data separately. Google has been aware of thin on their Android Auto Forum for over 3 years and seems reluctant to solve it. however, some phones are coming through which ramp down their charge rate to a trickle above 80-90% charge so they don't shut off completely

Mine, with a OnePlus phone, behaves quite oddly. Using the cable that came with the phone:

I plug the phone in, the phone recognises it is connected to a car (not a charger): if I had maps open that app is minimised to a corner. But then the car does not recognise the phone.

I unplug the phone, plug it in a second time. Then, after a couple of seconds, the car goes to Android Auto and everything works fine.

Until next time, when the same happens. Every single time I have to plug in twice. Annoying.

Android 10 onward Android Auto is incorporated in the build and an app isn't required true but Android also has this feature to allow dual sign up accounts of third party apps ie WhatsApp. this feature on certain makers phones screws up Android Auto and prevents it from setting up the connection. My Huawei phone although on Android 10 did not support it only Flagship Huawei phones say that they do.

Another issue with Android Auto which doesn't exist with Apple Car Play is that Android phones when they hit full charge disconnect their USB charge port and the Android Auto in the car head unit thinks you've unplugged it and shuts down Android Auto. iPhones don't do this they manage their charging and data separately. Google has been aware of thin on their Android Auto Forum for over 3 years and seems reluctant to solve it. however, some phones are coming through which ramp down their charge rate to a trickle above 80-90% charge so they don't shut off completely
Mines is an Honor 8x, I don't have an issue, the only problem I had was it did not work with a battery case, I'm guessing it was because no bata passes through the battery case.

Mine was Honor 10 Lite and Android Auto not supported according to Huawei
Weird but a lot of their phones are not compatible, I believe there are various forums trying to get a fix for the problem, mine is not listed as not being compatible

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom