Android connection cable drops out frequently

Cornish Paul

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I like Google Waze as a navigator so connected my Galaxy s20 to my MG4 Trophy and things worked well for a few miles. Then the connection was lost. Pulling the USB out and replugging (easier than messing with the phone end when driving) restores the data for another few miles.

Some research suggested the cable so I replaced it (three times!) with a brand-new different brand high-quality quality fairly short replacement. There is no strain on the connectors at either end. I am now 99% certain it is NOT the cable - the same "fix" works on all four cables. I am not driving on bumpy roads and the "usable time" varies widely from a couple of minutes to 15+ minutes. It never makes a whole journey.

Any suggestions?

I like Google Waze as a navigator so connected my Galaxy s20 to my MG4 Trophy and things worked well for a few miles. Then the connection was lost. Pulling the USB out and replugging (easier than messing with the phone end when driving) restores the data for another few miles.

Some research suggested the cable so I replaced it (three times!) with a brand-new different brand high-quality quality fairly short replacement. There is no strain on the connectors at either end. I am now 99% certain it is NOT the cable - the same "fix" works on all four cables. I am not driving on bumpy roads and the "usable time" varies widely from a couple of minutes to 15+ minutes. It never makes a whole journey.

Any suggestion
We had an issue with Android Auto repeatedly disconnecting on my wife's phone. After coming across a suggestion on another forum I tried connecting the phone to the USB port on the car via an old USB hub, and we've had no problems since - both our phones now stay connected.

I had problems with my Good Maps losing GPS. Found a fix online. In Google maps settings turn the location setting to allow all of the time. To get there keep the widget pressed down until the app settings appears then press app info then permissions then location. Hope this helps.

I changed cable a few times. A fast charge cable from Anker is what solved most of the android auto issues for me.
Still get laggy and occasional black screen issues. But far less disconnections.

Apologies if you have done this but as suggested above, check you have a high speed cable - The USB insert will be black or blue, not white.
On your smartphone when connecting it, you should see an option, 'Tap to open settings'. 'Limit Wi-Fi' should be on and 'Start AA while locked' should be on.

We had an issue with Android Auto repeatedly disconnecting on my wife's phone. After coming across a suggestion on another forum I tried connecting the phone to the USB port on the car via an old USB hub, and we've had no problems since - both our phones now stay connected.
I thought "What a rubbish reply, how can adding parts fix the issue" but I bought a cheap one from Amazon and THANKS BigSpottyCat - no issue since (and several trips completed).

Everybody else, thanks for your input - great to learn new things.

I thought "What a rubbish reply, how can adding parts fix the issue" but I bought a cheap one from Amazon and THANKS BigSpottyCat - no issue since (and several trips completed).

Everybody else, thanks for your input - great to learn new things.
Can you link to the product you bought? I'm getting regular dropped connections when using Apple carplay where the touchscreen button greys-out.

So, I bought this exact item and it didn't solve my connection problem! :(

Just out of interest, have you tried your USB-C port to connect your phone? Mine charges my phone, but doesn't work for Auto or CarPlay at all.

The USB-C port cannot be used for Apple CarPlay, only for charging and media playing.

Not sure if this helps but Android Auto has a switch on the phone's AA settings, 'Start Android Auto while locked'. In my experience the phone has to be unlocked when connecting it but this setting ensures it's not stopped when the phone locks (if it is set to lock after a certain time).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back