Angry MG ZS - EV owner.

PeteJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have a leak from my sunroof and contacted my dealer, Richmond Southampton as the water was entering the car through the central light and sunroof control console and I was concerned that damage could occur to the electrics in the console. My car is booked in for it's first service in a couple of weeks so I phoned Richmond to ask them to sort the problem. I was told that as this was a warranty issue I would have to contact MG assist, have them examine the car, have them repair it or tow into to them. When the AA man arrived he was incredulous the he had been called to such an issue for which he could give no help. The trip involved him driving an unnecessary 35 miles to reach his next repair which was close to his previous repair. A waste of fuel and time plus adding to the pollution for which I purchased an electric car . Overall I love the car but at times it has seemed to be a pre-production test car with all of the software problems that it has suffered now this incident shows how poor its warranty system is. From the lack of response to my thread about the initial sunroof leak I presume that my problem is not common, however I will keep you informed after I have contacted Richmond again.

I have a leak from my sunroof and contacted my dealer, Richmond Southampton as the water was entering the car through the central light and sunroof control console and I was concerned that damage could occur to the electrics in the console. My car is booked in for it's first service in a couple of weeks so I phoned Richmond to ask them to sort the problem. I was told that as this was a warranty issue I would have to contact MG assist, have them examine the car, have them repair it or tow into to them. When the AA man arrived he was incredulous the he had been called to such an issue for which he could give no help. The trip involved him driving an unnecessary 35 miles to reach his next repair which was close to his previous repair. A waste of fuel and time plus adding to the pollution for which I purchased an electric car . Overall I love the car but at times it has seemed to be a pre-production test car with all of the software problems that it has suffered now this incident shows how poor its warranty system is. From the lack of response to my thread about the initial sunroof leak I presume that my problem is not common, however I will keep you informed after I have contacted Richmond again.
With respect I’ve had mine since March 20 with no issues, couple of little niggles, but that’s it...perhaps you should have gone for a more premium brand like Kia, oh no they catch fire, VW, oh no massive software issues or Jaguar, massive battery issues...please don’t think it’s only MG that are having a few teething problems, at least if they do they are quick to try and resolve the issue. Your issue has been reported a couple of times an it appears the drainage tubes have perhaps not been connected correctly, get it back to MG I’m sure they will fix it..👍

Really don't understand why they would have told you to call the AA (vis MG Assist) for this. What has that got to do with warranty or not.
Surely they understood what the problem was ? or did they say you should not drive it in case of the electrics, which might explain their thinking?

Yes - did you push back and ask them why?

Very strange, I would have expected the dealer to sort it, that's why you went to their business and bought the car

I spoke to Richmond again and found a very different approach, It seems that the previous operator did not need to refer me to MG assist. The car is now booked in to have the problem looked at during it's service. The second operator was very pleasant and helpful so it's a shame that time, and fuel was wasted.

I spoke to Richmond again and found a very different approach, It seems that the previous operator did not need to refer me to MG assist. The car is now booked in to have the problem looked at during it's service. The second operator was very pleasant and helpful so it's a shame that time, and fuel was wasted.
Good luck PeteJ I’m sure they will get it sorted for you.

Obviously a training issue there for the dealer and a lot of apologies needed Could have cost them the next sale. Ask for a freebie for the trouble.

@PeteJ , you don’t have use the same dealership that you bought the car from. You could try Hendy MG of Poole next time who are a lot closer to you.

To be honest, a lot of the service advisors who cover the calls have no mechanical / tech training at all.
The minute you mention "Electric car with water leaking on the electrics" it sends them running for the hills !.
The confusion / lack of knowledge is between the items that run on 12 volt system and the 450 volt high voltage pack.
The person who had taken the first call, got his / her wires crossed ( sorry bad joke ).
Passed the parcel to the recovery company to deal with.
Remember, this is MG first attempt at an EV and therefore the learning curve for the dealerships have been nothing short of impossible to climb.
They will openly admit this fact if you ask them.

But SAIC have been making EV’s for a while now, mainly for China, so they should know what they are doing.

MG Motors UK on the other hand have only been dealing with EV’s since their first delivery in September 2019.

Yes MGKEV id did buy the car from this dealership and tried to book my car into Hendy Mg but they don't have a service workshop yet.

Just out of curiosity, did you operate/open the sunroof in winter time? Maybe in frosty conditions? Me myself i don't dare to open it in winter time.

Last edited:
But SAIC have been making EV’s for a while now, mainly for China, so they should know what they are doing.

MG Motors UK on the other hand have only been dealing with EV’s since their first delivery in September 2019.
Your totally correct Mike.
SAIC do know what they are doing alright, but they are not fixing our cars.
That is what I really call real "Distance Fixing". LOL.

@PeteJ , well you learn something every day. Fancy a dealership that has no service department. Doesn’t surprise me though.

With respect I’ve had mine since March 20 with no issues, couple of little niggles, but that’s it...perhaps you should have gone for a more premium brand like Kia, oh no they catch fire, VW, oh no massive software issues or Jaguar, massive battery issues...please don’t think it’s only MG that are having a few teething problems, at least if they do they are quick to try and resolve the issue. Your issue has been reported a couple of times an it appears the drainage tubes have perhaps not been connected correctly, get it back to MG I’m sure they will fix it..👍
What kind of response is this to someone having problems both with their car and their dealer? He didn’t say that only MG had issues or that the car was crap, just that he’s having problems and the dealer is proving to be worse than useless.

This trend for defending MG like they can do no wrong is concerning.

I hope it’s going in soon. You don’t want to be using a car with water leaking in 🙂

What kind of response is this to someone having problems both with their car and their dealer? He didn’t say that only MG had issues or that the car was crap, just that he’s having problems and the dealer is proving to be worse than useless.

This trend for defending MG like they can do no wrong is concerning.
It was this comment that prompted my reply
“ Overall I love the car but at times it has seemed to be a pre-production test car with all of the software problems that it has suffered”
It maybe true, but I was merely trying to point out that it’s not only MG with problems, of which are much more minor than some of the premium brands.

It was this comment that prompted my reply
“ Overall I love the car but at times it has seemed to be a pre-production test car with all of the software problems that it has suffered”
It maybe true, but I was merely trying to point out that it’s not only MG with problems, of which are much more minor than some of the premium brands.
Ah, fair enough. Yeah, there’s a lot of interesting* EVs around at the moment!

Still, a dealer suggesting you need to call the AA before they’ll look at a warranty issue is shocking.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom