Annoying creaking on the dashboard

neilus

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all, can anyone help me to eliminate a very annoying creaking on my dashboard of my 23 plate MG ZS EV. It has been to the dealership who said we have made modifications to your dashboard and its fixed the issue, well this wasn't correct as its just as bad. I have done some prodding and poking around and the actual dash wont creak however on pressing the scuttle plate outside I can create a similar creaking which seems to sound like rubber rubbing against the windscreen which can be heard inside the car. Has anyone come across this same issue and been able to solve it as I thought maybe if I try something at home and it works I don't need to travel to the garage again, if it doesn't work then I can at least tell the garage that it isn't that part that's causing the issue and they can investigate further.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

There are lots of cases on this forum of the scuttle panel making a noise whilst rubbing against the windscreen. Some owners have removed the panel and added some 'silent tape' to the panel to eliminate the problem. A temporary measure is to spray the panel with some silicone lubricant.

Hi all, can anyone help me to eliminate a very annoying creaking on my dashboard of my 23 plate MG ZS EV. It has been to the dealership who said we have made modifications to your dashboard and its fixed the issue, well this wasn't correct as its just as bad. I have done some prodding and poking around and the actual dash wont creak however on pressing the scuttle plate outside I can create a similar creaking which seems to sound like rubber rubbing against the windscreen which can be heard inside the car. Has anyone come across this same issue and been able to solve it as I thought maybe if I try something at home and it works I don't need to travel to the garage again, if it doesn't work then I can at least tell the garage that it isn't that part that's causing the issue and they can investigate further.

This problem has been an issue and identified correctly ( by some ) ever since the ZS EV was first launched back in 2019.
@TonyP has it absolutely bang on.
It’s the hard rubber / plastic gasket that fits onto the windscreen scuttle panel, where it meets the bottom of the windscreen glass.
The noise in the cabin is like a sharp snapping / creaking / cracking noise and it happens when the body flexes.
It sounds like it is coming from either from the top or behind the dash crash panel.
When the noise emanates from the outside of the car really and the dash panel acts like a box that just amplify’s the sound.
The hard rubber / more plastic type gasket is in a hard foul condition against the glass.
As the body shell flexes. The gasket shifts on the glass and the cracking noise is repeated across the width of the car.
The condition is worse in the winter when the ambient conditions outside are cold.
It will improve as the cabin in the car warms up.
A quick search 🔍 above will provide all the info you need to rectify the problem.
We have owned both Gen1 and Gen2 models and it was the same on both, as you would expect !.
Easy fix and yet some dealers struggle to identify and cure it ???.
No change there then !.

Hi.i hade a creaking like that and I thought it was from dash board.....turns out it was coming from the passenger piller between door and windscreen..I had installed a dashcan and hardwired it down behind this piller wires were making a noise...I put some tape on wires...no more noise

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom