Annoying user interface issues/quirks

Do you like the notification system in the MG EV ZS?

• 5 (It's great)

Votes: 1 8.3%

Votes: 1 8.3%

Votes: 2 16.7%

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • 1 (It sucks)

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

khadmium

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am a relatively new MG ZS EV owner based in Norway. I have had the car for a few weeks. All in all I'm happy with the purchase but I have come across some quirks/issues in the user interface which I find quite annoying. Please comment below if you are experiencing similar issues or if you have found work arounds or ways to fix them.

Issue 1 - If you close the doors just slightly hard the horn sounds three times in quick succession - as if trying to let you know you need to take it easy
I honestly don't feel that I close the doors particularly hard, but keep having this happen to me over and over.

Update: After some testing and detailed reading of the instruction manual it turns out this is an alarm to tell the driver that the keys are left in the car and happens when the car is in the OFF state (see Issue 3).

Issue 2 - Mislock - If you don't close the doors hard enough the MG won't lock and honks the horn when you try to lock it.
Trying to mitigate issue 1; I have this happen to me all the time particularly when parking in a garage / confined area where the horn literally scares the shit out of me.

Issue 3 - "Please take your key" alarm
In principle a nice feature, however the implementation is close to obsessive that you take the keys with you. This is probably the most annoying issue with the car so far.
  • If you get into your car; don't start and get back out it will go off every time even if you bring the key with you. It will not stop until you close the door with the key outside of the car. Forget about running back into the house for that thing you forgot without taking the keys with you.
  • If you get into the drivers seat; don't start the car and the person in the passenger seat gets out of the car it turns on.
  • If it goes off there is no way to turn it off from inside the car; except to start the car engine, let it time out or bring the keys outside of the car and close the door.
  • If you need to help other passengers in the car (e.g. kids with their seat belts) this alarm will most likely go off on you (trust me this is very annoying, see issue 4).
  • If you co-drive with passenger, both carrying the key with them inside the car; the alarm will most likely go off when you exit the car.
  • If you left the keys in the car and open the door to get inside; this alarm will go off.

Issue 4 - "Caution! Vehicle is in running mode - Please power OFF before leaving" alarm
  • If you leave the car without powering it off; perhaps because you want to keep the A/C on to warm/cool the car while you get something; this alarm goes off.
  • Trying to mitigate issue 3 and avoiding the "Please take your key" alarm by keeping the car powered ON is not possible since it will just give you this alarm instead.

Issue 5 - The car will not charge from the wall plug charger if it is not locked.
- This is most likely by design to ensure the charging plug is locked in the connector during charging to avoid injury disconnecting it while charging.
The fast chargers seem to be able to tell the car to lock the connector without having to lock the car so this issue is (happily!) not related to fast charging.

Issue 6 - Lane Keep Assist does not work on narrow roads.
The lanes in Norwegian country roads are apparently too narrow for this feature; it keeps continuously alerting the driver that you are too close to either the right or the left.

Issue 7 - "Lane Keep Assist System Off"
Luckily, Lane Keep Assist System can be turned off to avoid the continuous alarms while driving on narrow roads. However, now you have to live with being notified every time you start the car that this system is off.

Issue 8 - You can't change the displayed information on the Instrument Pack Information Centre if an alarm/warning/notification goes off.
So if you want to check what your battery level is in terms of range in km/miles you have to wait for the alarm notification to finish alerting you. This applies to:
  • "System ready"
  • "Please take your key"
  • Display that shows Seat Belt Warning (This one can be removed by pressing OK on the steering wheel)
  • "Lane Keep Assist System Off/On"
  • "Rear Drive Assist System Off/On"

Issue 9 - "Conditional speed limit" alarm
There seems to be an issue with the Speed Assist System where it keeps misunderstanding some traffic signs as "conditional speed limit". The driver is alerted with a "Conditional speed limit detected" notification and alarm sound after which a yellow triangle is placed next to the speed limit indicator on the Instrument Pack Information Centre. Oddly, this does not happen when you actually pass a conditional/temporary speed limit sign (which in Norway are speed limit signs with yellow background, indicating the speed limit is reduced due to road work etc.)

Issue 10 - Sensitive seat belt warning sensors in the back seat with child restraints/seats
With child restraint seats fixed to the right- and left back passenger seats the car sensor believes the seats are occupied with children, despite the weight of these child seats being only a few kgs. This also affects the centre seat warning.

Issue 11 - Notification sound
twang twang I have come to dread this sound which the car produces on every type of notification, alarm or warning. It is often not possible to stop an alarm or warning from going off (see Issue 3) and it doesn't seem possible to adjust the volume in the settings.

Hi!

I am a relatively new MG ZS EV owner based in Norway. I have had the car for a few weeks. All in all I'm happy with the purchase but I have come across some quirks/issues in the user interface which I find quite annoying. Please comment below if you are experiencing similar issues or if you have found work arounds or ways to fix them.

Issue 1 - If you close the doors just slightly hard the horn sounds three times in quick succession - as if trying to let you know you need to take it easy
I honestly don't feel that I close the doors particularly hard, but keep having this happen to me over and over.

Update: After some testing and detailed reading of the instruction manual it turns out this is an alarm to tell the driver that the keys are left in the car and happens when the car is in the OFF state (see Issue 3).

Issue 2 - Mislock - If you don't close the doors hard enough the MG won't lock and honks the horn when you try to lock it.
Trying to mitigate issue 1; I have this happen to me all the time particularly when parking in a garage / confined area where the horn literally scares the sh*t out of me.

In principle a nice feature, however the implementation is close to obsessive that you take the keys with you. This is probably the most annoying issue with the car so far.
  • If you get into your car; don't start and get back out it will go off every time even if you bring the key with you. It will not stop until you close the door with the key outside of the car. Forget about running back into the house for that thing you forgot without taking the keys with you.
  • If you get into the drivers seat; don't start the car and the person in the passenger seat gets out of the car it turns on.
  • If it goes off there is no way to turn it off from inside the car; except to start the car engine, let it time out or bring the keys outside of the car and close the door.
  • If you need to help other passengers in the car (e.g. kids with their seat belts) this alarm will most likely go off on you (trust me this is very annoying, see issue 4).
  • If you co-drive with passenger, both carrying the key with them inside the car; the alarm will most likely go off when you exit the car.
  • If you left the keys in the car and open the door to get inside; this alarm will go off.

Issue 4 - "Caution! Vehicle is in running mode - Please power OFF before leaving" alarm
  • If you leave the car without powering it off; perhaps because you want to keep the A/C on to warm/cool the car while you get something; this alarm goes off.
  • Trying to mitigate issue 3 and avoiding the "Please take your key" alarm by keeping the car powered ON is not possible since it will just give you this alarm instead.

Issue 5 - The car will not charge from the wall plug charger if it is not locked.
- This is most likely by design to ensure the charging plug is locked in the connector during charging to avoid injury disconnecting it while charging.
The fast chargers seem to be able to tell the car to lock the connector without having to lock the car so this issue is (happily!) not related to fast charging.

The lanes in Norwegian country roads are apparently too narrow for this feature; it keeps continuously alerting the driver that you are too close to either the right or the left.

Luckily, Lane Keep Assist System can be turned off to avoid the continuous alarms while driving on narrow roads. However, now you have to live with being notified every time you start the car that this system is off.

Issue 8 - You can't change the displayed information on the Instrument Pack Information Centre if an alarm/warning/notification goes off.
So if you want to check what your battery level is in terms of range in km/miles you have to wait for the alarm notification to finish alerting you. This applies to:
  • "System ready"
  • "Please take your key"
  • Display that shows Seat Belt Warning (This one can be removed by pressing OK on the steering wheel)

There seems to be an issue with the Speed Assist System where it keeps misunderstanding some traffic signs as "conditional speed limit". The driver is alerted with a "Conditional speed limit detected" notification and alarm sound after which a yellow triangle is placed next to the speed limit indicator on the Instrument Pack Information Centre. Oddly, this does not happen when you actually pass a conditional/temporary speed limit sign (which in Norway are speed limit signs with yellow background, indicating the speed limit is reduced due to road work etc.)

Issue 10 - Sensitive seat belt warning sensors in the back seat with child restraints/seats
With child restraint seats fixed to the right- and left back passenger seats the car sensor believes the seats are occupied with children, despite the weight of these child seats being only a few kgs. This also affects the centre seat warning.

twang twang I have come to dread this sound which the car produces on every type of notification, alarm or warning. It is often not possible to stop an alarm or warning from going off (see Issue 3) and it doesn't seem possible to adjust the volume in the settings.
I have to admit I love my car, it’s great, but there are the above issues that as you’ve said frustrate the hell out of me too..that said it is still a fabulous car for the money, but if they addressed these issues it would be so so much better..

Hi!

Trying to mitigate issue 1; I have this happen to me all the time particularly when parking in a garage / confined area where the horn literally scares the sh*t out of me.

• "System ready"
  • "Please take your key"

I’ll get my new ZS EV tomorrow, and it will have a new update. Hope some bugs are fixed.

I agree with all that's been said...great car, great value.....just these stupid little things that should be sorted out... COME ON MG.......GET YOUR FINGER OUT!!!

I agree with all that's been said about the annoying audio alarms and the inability to disable them, and the fact that you cannot pre-set your own driving requirements on the MG Pilot and they will remain there without having to go through a pre-start check list that's akin to an aircraft. On a more serious note, I found myself on a dual carriageway driving at 70 mph with the adaptive cruise control engaged. I was in the overtaking lane and as I began to negotiate a right hand bend, the cruise control automatically, and without notice, slowed the car down to 50mph, harshly, presuming that the bend could not be driven at 70 mph, which it could. The car I was overtaking accelerated away and the car directly behind me was not best pleased, and rightly so. This is a dangerous system. Whenever I negotiate this, or similar bends, now, I disengage the adaptive cruise control befortehand only to receive a loud audible chime telling me I've disengaged it!! Lastly, why is there not an outside air temperature read-out in the car?

Check your speed sign settings you’ve probably got them active to override your actions, these can be turned of to alert you only.

T
Check your speed sign settings you’ve probably got them active to override your actions, these can be turned of to alert you only.
[/QUOTE
Thanks very much for your reply. I’ll check that out.

A resolution to some if not all issues is available but read this MG letter very carfully, re thedealer is very likely to charge you as MG wont pay as the letter clearly states !

Attachments

• 813.pdf
    782.5 KB · Views: 461
I agree with all that's been said about the annoying audio alarms and the inability to disable them, and the fact that you cannot pre-set your own driving requirements on the MG Pilot and they will remain there without having to go through a pre-start check list that's akin to an aircraft. On a more serious note, I found myself on a dual carriageway driving at 70 mph with the adaptive cruise control engaged. I was in the overtaking lane and as I began to negotiate a right hand bend, the cruise control automatically, and without notice, slowed the car down to 50mph, harshly, presuming that the bend could not be driven at 70 mph, which it could. The car I was overtaking accelerated away and the car directly behind me was not best pleased, and rightly so. This is a dangerous system. Whenever I negotiate this, or similar bends, now, I disengage the adaptive cruise control befortehand only to receive a loud audible chime telling me I've disengaged it!! Lastly, why is there not an outside air temperature read-out in the car?
Check this update most if not alkl can now be fixed

My reading of it is, the "ball is now in our court".....if we ask the dealer to install the new software we are very likely to pay for it.

I'm not necessarily against that, but its not a wonderful example of MG customer care.

My particular dealer was/is, very very new to the MG brand......I think our first "Test Pilot" should probably use a more experienced franchise.

Please someone...have a go and let us know how you get on!:oops:
Mines booked in for the 19th, will see how I get on with the change, mine is via Glyn Hopkins

We will be counting the days........;)................

I've changed my mind...can't wait, mines booked in for Wednesday 10th June!

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom