Any electricians out there ?????????

Thebiglad

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all I live permanently in France now, own a ZS EV and charge 95% at home using a granny charger.

I would like to buy a 7kw wallbox and install it at home, one of these should do the trick : Amazon.fr : borne de recharge vehicule electrique.

I would like to know if I am going to need any additional components such as an RCD or are the included in the wallbox?.

I assume I take a main feed from the consumer unit, into a separate RCD then from the RCD to the wallbox - that sound about right ?

Cheers
Dave

I'm not qualified (either before or after BREXIT) to practice in France so would have to give general advice only and recommend that you check with a suitably qualified professional in France.
In general wiring in France is very different to the UK - maximum currents are lower and strictly controlled by a disjoncteur which cuts the whole supply if the paid for limit is exceeded. Wiring is mainly TT using a local Earth which prevents the needs to protect against a PEN fault but needs checking itself. Within the property most circuits are radial, and 3 phase supplies are normal.
You haven't stated whether you intend charging single phase or 3 phase. With single phase you need to choose which phase to draw from to avoid overload and hence the disjoncteur cutting.
The first device linked to claims to provide the necessary protection (Type A MCB and type B RCD) but I'd be wary of buying cheap Chinese products (remember the issues with some Rolec branded components). I realise the irony of the statement as an MG owner - not all Chinese stuff is bad, but not all is appropriate quality and often accreditation is false.

Hi BE and thanks for your reply.

My house has three phase coming into it, but when the 'Linky' the intelligent meter was installed I am told that I now have single phase.

I don't normally like paying others for doing jobs that I could myself, but I can't help wonder if on this occasion it might be better overall to have someone else supply and fit.

Thanks very much for your comments it's much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

Hi,

Why not see if you can get a friendly electrician and spilt the work. See if they can get it cheaper than you. You do all the hard work of installing it. They come back and commission it and do the final connection to make it live.

Hi,

Why not see if you can get a friendly electrician and spilt the work. See if they can get it cheaper than you. You do all the hard work of installing it. They come back and commission it and do the final connection to make it live.
That's a really great suggestion, thanks my street.

Depending which box you go for you might need a separate earth for it and you're not going to have the earth rod or a long enough drill to get it down far enough into the ground so check with a sparky on that.

/edit re the feed to a separate rcd, yes that's the way to go. Saves messing with the existing consumer unit too much.

Depending which box you go for you might need a separate earth for it and you're not going to have the earth rod or a long enough drill to get it down far enough into the ground

Most French property's are TT so already have this. But it's always worth checking the impedance before commencing an install. The French use lots of alternatives to rods such as mats, grids and conductive concrete.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom