Any ideas for reading light for passengers in rear?

hoverdonkey

Standard Member
Reaction score
An unforseen casualty of the lovely panaromic sunroof in our MG ZS EV has become apparent now that the nights are setting in (as old people used to say (when I wasn't old)): the lack of a light in the middle of the car ceiling, which we took for granted in our previous car, by which the lad used to read in the back.

Has anyone come up with a good solution for this?

I thought about sputting some sort of light on suckers sucked to the underside of the sunroof, but that would cause mischief with the blind. Maybe the USB port between the front seats could be used with something?

Any pointers would be welcome.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What about something like this

Looks nice... would need some way to fix it to part of the car to stop it wobbling about I think... not sure how...

Thanks again.. Nice long lead... clamp could be useful.. but where to clamp it....? Would still need to steady the head I reckon...

I'm now thinking utilize the front seat headrest posts somehow... just not sure how... Maybe block of wood, say 20x5x1.5cm, drill 2 holes for the headrest posts to pass, clamp block down with headrest... stick your first option to the rear edge of it, facing the rear passenger.

... or... simply attach your first option to back of headrest with (black) elastic. It would need a short USB extension lead. That would help get it nice and high - don't really want a light shining in eyes when reading.

Think we're getting warmer, thanks!

The first one is a pretty stiff flexible pole, I don't think it would move a great deal, its similar to what the Co drivers in rally cars use to map read so may not need any stiffening

The first one is a pretty stiff flexible pole, I don't think it would move a great deal, its similar to what the Co drivers in rally cars use to map read so may not need any stiffening
Thanks. I like the rally connection... I used to have a WRX... perhaps this isn't quite the same!

Attachments

• 394477A0-7A0F-46C8-867E-29CB31E7B798.png
    394477A0-7A0F-46C8-867E-29CB31E7B798.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 121
  • BA22D103-A05C-4389-A38E-820B2FD70474.jpeg
    BA22D103-A05C-4389-A38E-820B2FD70474.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 129
Couldn’t you give them something like this for Christmas?

amazon reading light

That might actually be a perfect, thank you. Something that clips to the book would certainly save faffing around with mounting it. Plus the light is where it needs to be and moves with the page, so the wobbling issue is sidestepped. Also, it would not distract the driver.

The USB rechargeable option could be perfect - I had discounted battery ones like this due to inveitable back seat complaints when they run out. I just need to make sure to get one where light works at the same time as as it charges. It would just need a short USB extension lead.

Thank you.

@hoverdonkey, how about a solar powered light stuck to the fixed glass section on an Exclusive model. There’s a guy on YouTube who has done exactly this.

I'd Like to see the rear grab handles of the HS compared, they have built in lights and if the mounting dimensions are the same it would be a very professional upgrade. Would just mean fishing a cable under the headlining to the front centre light from each side.

I'd investigate, but I'm not bothered as no one ever sits in the back of my car!

Last edited:
I'd Like to see the rear grab handles of the HS compared, they have built in lights and if the mounting dimensions are the same it would be a very professional upgrade. Would just mean fishing a cable under the headlining to the front centre light from each side.

I'd investigate, but I'm not bothered as no one ever sits in the back of my car!

I haven't seen those but sounds good (though probably expensive?) Does each have a switch?

I haven't seen those but sounds good (though probably expensive?) Does each have a switch?
I can't recall, I think they probably have, but would need to check a HS next time I'm at the dealers to be certain, I'll measure them up whilst I'm there as well to see if it really is an option. Won't be until the new year though!

I can't recall, I think they probably have, but would need to check a HS next time I'm at the dealers to be certain, I'll measure them up whilst I'm there as well to see if it really is an option. Won't be until the new year though!

Many thanks. I do think it is going to be very expensive option, so will let him try a rechargeable clip-on light first.

I have ordered one of these...

... I will report back when he has tried it (after Chrtistmas!)

Thanks!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom