Anyone upgrading from a Nissan LEAF?

Bocanus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi, I've got a Trophy LR in silver on order (since last October). We're part exchanging our 30kwh Nissan LEAF having had a 24kwh before that, so essentially we've had the same car for the last 5yrs. Is anyone else moving from a LEAF? I've not actually sat in an MG or test driven one yet, so have ordered based on You Tube videos and blind faith!

What can I look forward to in terms of interior build quality vs the LEAF and space in the cabin etc?

Isn’t that the sort of question to ask BEFORE ordering one? I’ve never driven a Leaf, but I’ve been in several and found them to have a much “lower down” feel, and also feel “heavy”. Just go to an MG dealership and sit in one - even a used one to get a feel for the interior.

Knowledge of how it feels to someone else isn't going to tell you how it will feel to you.
Get yourself to a dealership!

I have a leaf 30. I did test drive and didn't like it! Still ordered, as on reflection it was a rushed test which wound me up. Quality wise it's very nice. All the creature comforts are there bar the heated steering wheel. The displays are woeful but I expect to get used to it. e.g. Battery % is miniscule and although there's plenty of space in the display there's nothing useful in it. Interior space is decent and nice and light with the panoramic roof. Driving position is higher than leaf which is nice but more wallowy.

I just ordered my ZS this weekend, upgrading from a 30kWh Leaf.

I liked the test drive, with a few provisos - the speed limiter is much more complicated - more generally I will miss the simplicity of the footbrake and the general lack of gizmos.

It also made me appreciate just how beautifully simple the dials and displays are in the Leaf - we will get used to the MG but it is not as good (and am glad I have varifocals - it's all so weirdly tiny).

The driving position in the MG is not quite as good for my wife either - her knee knocks against the steering wheel adjustment lever, which I might see if I can just remove.

But we liked the MG (obviously).

[ Edited moderator: units. ]

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered mid Dec 2021 and currently own a Leaf 30 not in any rush but starting to look elsewhere new NiroEV EMegane both look good but a bit more money. Regards comparision to Leaf the MG is higher which is what we want for easy access. Ride is soft and smooths out the rough road surface nicely. Sport mode is more than adequate for a quick getaway but Normal will be our standard setting. Infotainment is fairly responsive on the demo we tried alot more in depth than Leaf, probably never use most of the functions once we find our preferred settings. Had a short go at stop start assist in town and worked ok, again not something I would regularly use but that may change once my confidence builds in its reliability. Economy is a bit worse than Leaf currently average over a year 4.1 miles/kWh (3.5/4.7). Test drive returned 3.4 but only did a short trip and gave it some wellie in places. Finish is very good IMO seats are comfortable, leg room in back is acceptable, boot is average but don't generally lug stuff about. Can't comment on sound system as don't really listen to much music in the car. For our usage it ticks most boxes and comes in at £15-20k less than the competition we also tested. As mentioned before I am looking at others while the wait goes on but on reflection the MG offers the best value for money, they just need to sort the rapid charging issues and get OTA updates out on a regular basis to improve some of its minor shortfalls and it will be an absolute no brainer for the money. Leaf has been a great car for us over the last 5 years and have done many 600 mile round trips with no issues regards charging, but it is time for a change and mobility issues call for a higher riding car.

I drive a 30kWh Leaf Tekna - and on my Zs Trophy test drive the first thing I noticed was the really loud indicator noise! The dealer told me they make it loud for the petrol version so it’s more noticeable on the quieter electric car version.

Other than that it drove quite nicely, more power than the leaf pulling away.

The car’s internal space felt a little more cramped - but you are higher up which is nice.

If going for the trophy then the rear passengers will really enjoy the sunroof which makes the car feel quite airy.

For us, it’s the range and price which cannot be beat for a family of 4.

We ordered in February with a “June” delivery date - from the looks of it on this forum, if it arrives this year we’ll be along the lucky ones.

For this reason - I’m considering leasing one in stock, or buying something else secondhand for even more money…

I don’t like not being able to plan for the extra range journeys we’ve been deprived of for the last 2 years. I really needed it for the summer, and that seems highly unrealistic.

Stupid first world problems I have, eh?

I drive a 30kWh Leaf Tekna - and on my Zs Trophy test drive the first thing I noticed was the really loud indicator noise! The dealer told me they make it loud for the petrol version so it’s more noticeable on the quieter electric car version.

Other than that it drove quite nicely, more power than the leaf pulling away.

The car’s internal space felt a little more cramped - but you are higher up which is nice.

If going for the trophy then the rear passengers will really enjoy the sunroof which makes the car feel quite airy.

For us, it’s the range and price which cannot be beat for a family of 4.

We ordered in February with a “June” delivery date - from the looks of it on this forum, if it arrives this year we’ll be along the lucky ones.

For this reason - I’m considering leasing one in stock, or buying something else secondhand for even more money…

I don’t like not being able to plan for the extra range journeys we’ve been deprived of for the last 2 years. I really needed it for the summer, and that seems highly unrealistic.

Stupid first world problems I have, eh?
The indicator noise can be turned down apparently it’s a artificial sound which comes out of the driver’s side door speaker and can be lowered in the settings

I had a 24kw leaf for 4 years and bought an MG ZS ev. I wanted more range but wish I had bought another leaf. My biggest grouse is the lack of an onboard delay timing charger option and the leaf allowed you to set the aircon to come on whilst plugged in to defrost your car when frosty. The driving assist functions on the MG are a great improvement on the original leaf and the car is bigger. It is not as economical in terms of miles per kw especially in the winter. I lose 30% of range in the cold. I have had it a year and a half now and apart from draining the 12 volt battery when I went on holiday for 2 weeks have had no issues with reliability.

The indicator noise can be turned down apparently it’s a artificial sound which comes out of the driver’s side door speaker and can be lowered in the settings
i would think i have been into every menu on the car, and i have not seen any settings for "Indicator volume".

If it exists i would really like to know what menu / submenu it is in, as i also find the volume on the indicator a bit much

Hi, I've got a Trophy LR in silver on order (since last October). We're part exchanging our 30kwh Nissan LEAF having had a 24kwh before that, so essentially we've had the same car for the last 5yrs. Is anyone else moving from a LEAF? I've not actually sat in an MG or test driven one yet, so have ordered based on You Tube videos and blind faith!

What can I look forward to in terms of interior build quality vs the LEAF and space in the cabin etc?
I’d recommend getting a test drive. I had two test drives in an MG5 (3 hours and 1 day) before deciding to go ahead and buy one. I have to say I was concerned that the seat would remain uncomfortable for my rather large backside, but I’ve added a bead seat ‘cushion’ (such as taxi drivers in hot climates use) and it’s improved things massively. I’ve only had it 10 days, but I’m. very happy with my purchase.

I had a 24kw leaf for 4 years and bought an MG ZS ev. I wanted more range but wish I had bought another leaf. My biggest grouse is the lack of an onboard delay timing charger option and the leaf allowed you to set the aircon to come on whilst plugged in to defrost your car when frosty. The driving assist functions on the MG are a great improvement on the original leaf and the car is bigger. It is not as economical in terms of miles per kw especially in the winter. I lose 30% of range in the cold. I have had it a year and a half now and apart from draining the 12 volt battery when I went on holiday for 2 weeks have had no issues with reliability.
Thankfully this has been addressed in the face lift model 😊

I've been looking at both the Leaf and ZS EV as a first EV. I really wanted to like the ZS EV because on paper it looks like a much better fit for our family, but on a test drive something felt off about it. I'm going to do a second test drive and see if I can put my finger on what it is.
Here's my comparative notes from an initial test drive:

Leaf 40kWh N-Connecta ProPilot +LED
  • + Feels better to drive (better seating position?)
  • + Hatchback
  • + Clear instruments
  • + full 1-pedal driving
  • + Quieter
  • - CHAdeMO
  • - slightly more expensive
  • - Android auto didn't want to work?
  • - distracting reflection from overly shiny dashboard
  • - obtrusive rear view mirror + sensor housing
  • - couldn't cancel out of the car settings menu?
  • - hate the optional rear view camera

MG ZS EV Standard Range Trophy
  • + Slightly cheaper (-6%)
  • + CCS
  • + Good infotainment
  • + More back seat space
  • + Rear armrest
  • + Sunroof
  • + Charge to 100%
  • + 3rd party frunk available
  • + vehicle to load
  • - SUV
  • - Feels not good to drive (why?)
  • - creeps forward (need to check out auto-hold mode on a second drive)
  • - not quite 1-pedal driving
  • - pointlessly huge bonnet
  • - cramped front cabin
  • - overly aggressive lane assist

Similar
  • = Good boot volume, but awkward shape
  • = Range
  • = Efficiency
  • = Charge speed
  • = Adaptive cruise control
  • = Heavy
  • = 5-star Euro NCAP
  • = Bike rack attachment available
  • = Electric heated seats
  • = Acceptable visibility with driver aids
  • = 360° camera

Last edited:
I read this as well. Anyone tried or can confirm?
Hi, the indicator sound is not adjustable.

The number of times I have followed cars that have the indicator left on suggests to me that it is a good idea to let the driver know he has not cancelled the indicator by having a audible sound that is easily heard. IMHO.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom