Anyone using Android Auto on MG ZS Facelift LR - with a Samsung Galaxy A03s?

Graham J

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi Folks - Has anyone out there managed to get Android Auto working on an MG ZS Facelift LR - with a Samsung Galaxy A03s, please? I have tried many different leads, but no success! My wifes phone works fine in the ZS and my phone works fine with our Renault Zoe - Very strange and frustrating!

In case you don't know: you need to use the USB A outlet (the big one on the left). Don't ask my why, but it only works with this one.

Ah, sorry, since it workes with your wife's phone, I guess you figured that out already.

I had trouble linking my MG4 with AA. I can only suggest:
Turn off wireless
Turn on data
Don't download AA from Google Play but as instructed when you connect the phone to the car.
Hope this helps

I've managed to connect my phone (Moto 6 running Android v9) to our car (MG4 Trophy with R40 software) but Android Auto is cutting out usually after a few seconds. AA seems to be very flakey when apps are started or changed.
Have you had any luck with your MG ZS?

I had a similar sort of experience. My A41, which worked fine in my 2016 Octavia, just wouldn't link up reliably via AA in the MG ZS EV despite trying several different leads - yet my wife's A53 works no problem. I've since found that if I re-enable the Bluetooth connection with the car, if I've previously had it linked to any other Bluetooth device, it will then work. Weird, I know, because surely it shouldn't need to use Bluetooth if the cable's being used. The other thing I do when setting off is wait for the infotainment screen to flash up 'synchronised' before plugging in the cable. It's annoying, but it seems to work.

I have a Samsung 22fe and the original charger that came with the phone was the only one. As it needs to be able to send data and charge down the cable. Some cables bought elsewhere we not able to send fast data and fast charge. I also turned off wireless AA as was pointless. Hope this helps I know it was frustrating for me before I got it

I had a similar sort of experience. My A41, which worked fine in my 2016 Octavia, just wouldn't link up reliably via AA in the MG ZS EV despite trying several different leads - yet my wife's A53 works no problem. I've since found that if I re-enable the Bluetooth connection with the car, if I've previously had it linked to any other Bluetooth device, it will then work. Weird, I know, because surely it shouldn't need to use Bluetooth if the cable's being used. The other thing I do when setting off is wait for the infotainment screen to flash up 'synchronised' before plugging in the cable. It's annoying, but it seems to work.
AA uses Bluetooth for telephone, WhatsApp etc not the cable. That's used for the map and navigation. Bluetooth must be enabled. Also check the permissions on your phone in AA. Also make sure "start android auto when locked" is enabled. Also check Previous Coonected cars to make sure you are not rejected.

Thank you very much for your help Folks - sadly following the above guidance hasn't resolved my problem. I have ordered a genuine Samsung lead for the A03s, to see if that helps. I'll update accordingly..

Thank you 'Grumpy' and thanks to my wife who said, 'Why don't you Google USB leads?
This is what I found: USB cables
I tried the USB cables which came with the phones (black plastic edge inside the USB A plug) . They worked. So it is necessary to use USB leads which have a black, blue, red or teal insert in the plug, not white.

Last edited:
Hi, Android Auto was very flaky for me until I got the AA Wireless box and glued it in a hidden spot in my Mk1 ZS, now it only tends to drop out when the entertainment console crashes, which it does on the Mk1. If you leave it plugged in to the (correct) USB socket your phone connects wirelessly as soon as you unlock the car so you can have the Android Auto screen up when you sit down if you unlock the car from a few steps away.
I see they are cheaper and available on Amazon now. www.aawireless.io

Yeah, I disregarded the cable quality debate initially as the USB cable I had works just fine on Ford Kuga on the same phone, but with my zs ev AA crashes within a minute of use over USB on my xaiomi T11pro.

This particular phone has 120w charging so comes with a special orange cable for the 120w wall charger (it's awesome full charge in 10-15mins on wall plug)
and AA with the z's EV seems to be more reliable now if I use that specific USB cable.
At least I haven't noticed it crash yet.

Hi Folks - Has anyone out there managed to get Android Auto working on an MG ZS Facelift LR - with a Samsung Galaxy A03s, please? I have tried many different leads, but no success! My wifes phone works fine in the ZS and my phone works fine with our Renault Zoe - Very strange and frustrating!
I fear you have two choices, get rid of the car or put up with it . My HS PHEV has been returned to MG multiple times, each time they tell me the problem is sorted. Unfortunately it never is. Sometimes it works for a day, other times I don't even get home . I love my MG but I despare this infotainment system . I purchased my first HS in 2021, the infotainment was glitchy but usually rebooted after a few minutes. My 2023 model has me losing my sanity. I have changed cables, phones etc. Nothing works. Yet I can use my phone on any other car. Android is Android a system that just works. I am now convinced this is an MG problem that ultimately they will have to solve, but I won't be holding my breath as they don't even acknowledge it is an MG problem, blaming cables and phones.
NB. I recently hired a Ford Focus in Spain and drove over 2000km using my android phone without incident.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom