Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth and DAB radio query

Clubenviro19

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all,

I got my MG4 Trophy yesterday and while I have greatly enjoyed driving it I thought the forum could help me with these niggles!!

My phone and the car cannot find each other when searching on Bluetooth nor can I appear to connect them on Apple CarPlay. The MG4 just tells me to check phone settings when trying Apple but I’ve NO IDEA what settings to even check!

A slightly lesser annoyance is the DAB radio doesn’t pick up one of my favourite stations (Fix Radio) and I can’t find a way to ‘scan’ for more….

I have checked via the MG for updates and there are none. Not yet connected to Wi-Fi though.

Any advice, tips and tricks about these or anything else a new MG owner should know are welcome! 😊

Hi all,

I got my MG4 Trophy yesterday and while I have greatly enjoyed driving it I thought the forum could help me with these niggles!!

My phone and the car cannot find each other when searching on Bluetooth nor can I appear to connect them on Apple CarPlay. The MG4 just tells me to check phone settings when trying Apple but I’ve NO IDEA what settings to even check!

A slightly lesser annoyance is the DAB radio doesn’t pick up one of my favourite stations (Fix Radio) and I can’t find a way to ‘scan’ for more….

I have checked via the MG for updates and there are none. Not yet connected to Wi-Fi though.

Any advice, tips and tricks about these or anything else a new MG owner should know are welcome! 😊
Poor Bluetooth connectivity is known issue referred to copious times in the blogs. Mine always needs re-pairing almost every time I start car. So I always use CarPlay which works fine, together with Siri for voice activated calling. I find it makes the CarPlay connection best if you activate the car (press brake) plus ensure your phone is not in sleep mode and then connect to the lead.

UPDATE: CarPlay problem solved. I am the dolt who was using the USB-C cable to connect my phone (only one I had to hand) and not the other regular USB.

Poor Bluetooth connectivity is known issue referred to copious times in the blogs. Mine always needs re-pairing almost every time I start car. So I always use CarPlay which works fine, together with Siri for voice activated calling. I find it makes the CarPlay connection best if you activate the car (press brake) plus ensure your phone is not in sleep mode and then connect to the lead.
Thanks! Shame to hear about the Bluetooth being a consistent issue. I liked the thought of getting in, car on charge wirelessly and off I go with music on Bluetooth. Don’t really want to be fiddling about with cables (although I appreciate MG’s efforts to minimise that with the hole through the mat).
I will await updates like everyone else in the forum I guess!

UPDATE: CarPlay problem solved. I am the dolt who was using the USB-C cable to connect my phone (only one I had to hand) and not the other regular USB.
Congratulations on your MG4 - I have one too and love it! It’s interesting to hear about the USB cable situation. Are you saying that the type C is not for connecting devices? I ask because my type C port is totally unresponsive to anything I plug into it. Thanks!

Congratulations on your MG4 - I have one too and love it! It’s interesting to hear about the USB cable situation. Are you saying that the type C is not for connecting devices? I ask because my type C port is totally unresponsive to anything I plug into it. Thanks!
Type A port is for AA / CarPlay. Type C can do USB sticks for music / videos, I believe though I haven't tried it myself.

Thanks! Shame to hear about the Bluetooth being a consistent issue. I liked the thought of getting in, car on charge wirelessly and off I go with music on Bluetooth. Don’t really want to be fiddling about with cables (although I appreciate MG’s efforts to minimise that with the hole through the mat).
I will await updates like everyone else in the forum I guess!
I'm using a Carlinkit wireless CarPlay adapter which works well. Once installed you can do just what you want, pop your iPhone on the mat to charge or leave it in your pocket/handbag.

I'm using a Carlinkit wireless CarPlay adapter which works well. Once installed you can do just what you want, pop your iPhone on the mat to charge or leave it in your pocket/handbag.
Which version of Carlinkit are you using? I have v3 in my Skoda and just got a generic one from Amazon for the MG4 but both work the same in my Skoda.

Similar timescale as owner and issues with Bluetooth and CarPlay….not the most advanced solution but I switched off, charged up overnight and problem solved, CarPlay kicked in and Bluetooth works again as well, hope this helps….

Yep I’d say the USB-C is for charging only! When I looked closed the normal USB port had a tablet/phone symbol next to it, that was my ‘oooooh’ moment

Yep I’d say the USB-C is for charging only! When I looked closed the normal USB port had a tablet/phone symbol next to it, that was my ‘oooooh’ moment
Right. My USB C port doesn’t even charge anything! Ah well. Maybe I’ll read the owners manual and learn what it’s for in there!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back