Apple carplay on mg5

gazter

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi, what are people‘s experience with apple play on the MG5? I’ve heard reports (and the few minutes of use confirm it) that the build in user interface of the mg5 is a bit meh and unresponsive. But with apple play is this kind of irrelevant If the user interface is powered by apple instead? Does the unresponsive nature of the built in software become unimportant? Ive not had carplay before, but I’m assuming it’s the device that drives carplay and the head unit is only really the display for it.

I've been using CarPlay for a week now - using both Waze and TomTom Go for SatNav, along with Apple Maps and WattsUp on occasion - entering addresses seems responsive. Also been playing Apple Music through the stereo - all works okay. Can be confusing whether on DAB/FM/AM or streaming music at some stages when Map is being displayed - but easy to press buttons and check. I've sent a text message once - volume seemed low when it read it back to me - guess I need to play with it more.

I suspect most of the processing power comes from your phone, with the built in MG5 screen processing the display and the touch/voice input - so doing slightly more than just a monitor but it feels alright to me. Although I've nothing to compare it to as not used in any other vehicles.

It's typically apple. if it's certified, it just works. (unless it doesn't - then it really doesn't!)

As biffo says, it's basically just a screen with your phone doing the work. One thing to note is that your MG doesn't have a multi-touch screen and it does feel a little alien having an iphone screen without pinch to zoom.

Problem is - you now have to decide which of the many sat-nav apps you prefer to use. Note that some (like apple maps) generally need an online connection to plan your route, whereas others (like TomTom Go) store all the maps offline on your phone and just go online for traffic info etc.

But, if you're using an online map and all else fails you can always go back to the in-car one. Yeah, it's a bit slow here and there by modern standards, but still better than the TomTom Carminat that I had in my 2013 scenic. Just a shame it doesn't have connected services for traffic.

It's typically apple. if it's certified, it just works. (unless it doesn't - then it really doesn't!)

As biffo says, it's basically just a screen with your phone doing the work. One thing to note is that your MG doesn't have a multi-touch screen and it does feel a little alien having an iphone screen without pinch to zoom.

Problem is - you now have to decide which of the many sat-nav apps you prefer to use. Note that some (like apple maps) generally need an online connection to plan your route, whereas others (like TomTom Go) store all the maps offline on your phone and just go online for traffic info etc.

But, if you're using an online map and all else fails you can always go back to the in-car one. Yeah, it's a bit slow here and there by modern standards, but still better than the TomTom Carminat that I had in my 2013 scenic. Just a shame it doesn't have connected services for traffic.
Being doing gps since early 2000s with an iPad, gps Bluetooth and Tom Tom! Switched to Waze on iPhone a few years ago. Haven’t looked back. I believe they have a CarPlay app

I did try and think it increased but need to play with it more - I think the traffic lights changed to green and I had to stop pressing buttons!

The system is rubbish. The screen is unresponsive. The map on the in car screen get up to 2 miles behind the phone instructions. You can’t read messages. It’s just pants.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom