Applegreen charger issues

sonny

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Newbie here. Had an MG5 LR Exclusive for about a month now. Generally charge at home using Zapi 7kw charger. Never had any issues.

Have used Gridserve charger a couple of weeks ago, went smoothly.

On Thursday I was at South Mimms, just off M25. Attempted to use the Applegreen chargers. A few were out of order. The others had blank screens, but after plugging in and tapping contactless payment the car was showing as plugged in but not charging. £35 transaction fee was taken out of bank. Waited several minutes, but nothing happened, not charging. There were a number of Applegreen chargers here, so tried another one but got the same issue. Another guy turned up in an MG5 and had the same issue.

The other guy then said his car had developed a system fault and wouldn’t start!

My car then developed the same fault, something about HV Battery fault (I didn’t note the exact failure). Rang the Applegreen support number, but they just said the chargers should be working. I told them about the faults to the two cars. They said they would ring me back, but never did!

Eventually after locking the car, moving away, waiting a few mins, the system fault went away. The other driver was also able to start his car and drive off.

Other cars seemed to be able to charge using some of the Applegreen chargers, but a few other drivers of other cars were having issues.

Eventually one of the two Gridserve chargers (one was out of order!) became free and I was able to start charging, but this was after faffing about for nearly two hours!

Anyone else had any issues with the Applegreen chargers?

No idea how old the chargers you were trying are but, up here in Scotland there are some (8-10 yr old) chargers that will not work with the MG5. I'm told it's because they were designed to charge batteries of around the 15-20kwh range and don't like the higher resistance in bigger batteries.

No idea how old the chargers you were trying are but, up here in Scotland there are some (8-10 yr old) chargers that will not work with the MG5. I'm told it's because they were designed to charge batteries of around the 15-20kwh range and don't like the higher resistance in bigger batteries.
I believe these chargers are brand new according to this forum South Mimms

Yep, I have the same problem with the Applegreen chargers at South Mimms. They just don't work for me.
I did see a lady there today with the same car (MG5) and she said it can take 4 or 5 goes to get it to start.

Thing is I've tried doing it a few times but got flagged for credit card fraud cos I'm waving my card at the machine upwards of a dozen times.

Very, very frustrating.

Same at McDonald's in glasgow and Gretna service station poor wouldn't work and over charged 9 times Jo 1 answered the phone alot of drivers frustrated

Not a critic, but did any of you report your problems to the operator.

On the odd occasion, I've had problems charging, I've made a point of getting in touch. For all of the connectivity available these days, operators don't seem to notice that a charger isn't working properly until someone actually gets in touch...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom