Are the facelift cars better?

Well, no, but you can leave them permanently switched on and they won't wipe if there's no rain. I don't do that, because then they automatically wipe once when you switch the car on, and I'm not a fan of a faceful of rain. I guess it's a bit like the automatic lights - sometimes it thinks it's dark if a bird flies by or if you drive past a tree. :)
My Trophy ER (arrived dec 2023) definitely does not sense rain... All manual. When the rain stops the wipers will still run on a dry window.
The only thing it is supposed to automatically do in auto mode is change interval with speed. Since my speed is mostly constant, I still adjust wiper interval manually.

Last edited:
I have a year-old pre-facelift car (bought new) and I'm quite happy with the quality apart from the bloody undertray issue which seems to affect cars of all ages and is not confined to phase 1. I never had an oil leak, and the finish, seats etc. are fine. I don't think these things are any different in the face-lift.

The rear wiper seriously isn't necessary, I think they just added it because people were remarking on its absence. The car is designed not to need one. The central head-rest is a positive liability unless you are actually carrying three people in the back seat. Most people take it off. The rain sensor may or may not be a good thing. I don't really mind setting the wipers manually.

As far as software goes, don't get a phase 1 car if one-pedal driving is something you care about, because these cars may never get it.

The SE is what it is, and for me it's a great car and it does what I want it to do without the extra bells and whistles the Trophy/Luxury has. I personally wouldn't want to be bothered with all the stuff I hear about from Trophy owners with maps and satnav and welcome messages and so on, but if you really want heated seats, then there's that.

There’s a rain sensor?

Mines a new November 2023 with a rear wiper but how on earth do you get the rain sensing wipers to work?

I always have to do them manually?

I have a facelifted Trophy ER and have to report that, following a long trip in mostly heavy rain yesterday, the rear wiper appears to be totally redundant as the screen keeps itself wonderfully clear. My wife has insisted on removing the centre rear headrest as she claims not to be able to see enough out of the back, but that seems a non-problem to me with wing mirrors and cameras. Still, anything for a quiet life and we seldom, if ever, carry three people in the back.

I took mine off as well. It is definitely blocking my view through the mirror.

I agree the wiper doesn't add very much in continuous rain. But it does in short but heavy rain. The weird reflections from the rain disappear when I use the wiper, particularly when it is dark. Lastly, it also helps to keep the window free from dust. Pollen and Sahara sand came down during showers this April, dropping a yellow layer on the glass. That can now be wiped off.

I find the rear wiper useful occasionally - e.g. dewy mornings, after parking during fine drizzle etc.

I've also removed the middle head restraint as I very rarely have five passengers and visibilty is improved a fair bit IMHO.

Is there a way to to do a single flick rear wipe (not wash) ? I've not found a way yet !! ... I have to turn it on and immediately off (i.e. press the side button twice). Not a big problem but am I missing something ?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back