Are there many younger MG EV owners - is it predominantly an older mans car?

MG ZS EV owners - What age range are you?

• 17-25

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 26-40

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • 41-60

Votes: 52 46.4%
  • 61-75

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • 76+

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters

Cocijo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the average age of owners on here seems to be about 87 🙂 - and predominantly male, I wondered - is the MG ZS attractive to any younger buyers? Would it be a good first car for a young driver? What about culture, diversity, gender and ethnicity? Are the views and posts on here heavily biased towards the older white male owner? What do younger owners from different backgrounds and genders think of the car?

There may be challenges as "slightly more mature" white men (as I like to think of myself at 42) tend to hang out on forums, so your sample may be skewed. We talked about this when setting up the podcast that we would like more diversity in the faces staring back at you but you can only work with the people who are active on the forum and wish to participate. Maybe "old white men" love to complain more, its probably as we are such an oppressed and under represented group that we feel the need to ;-).

Aside from that, I think disposable income is an issue, even one of the cheapest EVs may well be out of the wallets of younger car buyers, who are predominately moving to less of an ownership model and more to a subscription based one (certainly at the 12K plus end of the car market). I personally think anyone born after 2000 (maybe even earlier) will be a lot less of the mind set of "i must own a car". Overall socio-economic challenges exist for Millennials and younger groups to have the sort of house, car holiday life-style that Gen X and older (white men) maybe take for granted.

If you are younger and can afford a ZS, there are a lot more sexy cars out that, and practicality may not be high on your list of requirements.

As the average age of owners on here seems to be about 87 🙂 - and predominantly male, I wondered - is the MG ZS attractive to any younger buyers? Would it be a good first car for a young driver? What about culture, diversity, gender and ethnicity? Are the views and posts on here heavily biased towards the older white male owner? What do younger owners from different backgrounds and genders think of the car?
In a recent poll NO ONE was over 76, so we are MUCH younger than you assert!! :ROFLMAO:

Indian Asian here, aged 41. I have opted for the EV as it is within our budget. With two young children-5 and 8-we can't justify spending more than 20k-ish, certainly not on my teacher's salary. However, the car hopefully will be fine for our local journeys ferrying the girls here and there, shopping trips and visiting family locally.

"Old white men" complaining is certainly not what I think of when I read this forum!! I just like to hear from owners who have experience with the car as, after the house, it's the most expensive thing we will own! It's always important to get lots of opinions.

I don't know about the UK but in the Netherlands.. yes.. I Guess so. EV drivers union in the Netherlands conducted a research on who the EV driver is. The average age is 53 years old. Mostly higher educated and above model income. 68% is driving an EV that is overall cheaper then an internal combustion engine car (fuel, roadtaxes and goverment stimulations included).
When asked if they bought an EV becaus of the environment 36% says they did and another 35% did it becaus it's cheaper. 12% becaus they like the way EV's drive. 15% becaus of innovative technologies.

In short I think that EV's in the Netherlands are driven bij middle aged men of whom around 25% can be considered a hypocrit. But that's my opnion.

Me, 38 years old, I drive it becaus it's cheaper and would not pay a penny more becaus of the environment out of my own pocket.

source: https://www.evrijders.nl/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Nationale-EV-en-Berijdersonderzoekdef.pdf

I'm in the knock knee'd & knackered retired age group & one of the priorities for a new car that has made it to the top of the list these days is Ease of getting in & out of the things :D(this is my first ever new car in over 50 years of driving :eek:) I can get into normal cars but getting out of them can be a bit Undignified o_O So SUV/Compact crossover it is. (y)

Its funny, when I started to look at MG as a prospective purchase, I saw few of them on the road, driven by female drivers and thought ' is MG target market is females'. Now i bought it, it's a nice family car, good for local run i.e. school run, shopping and commuting to work.

Its funny, when I started to look at MG as a prospective purchase, I saw few of them on the road, driven by female drivers and thought ' is MG target market is females'. Now i bought it, it's a nice family car, good for local run i.e. school run, shopping and commuting to work.
Well said MAS, it’s also very effective for business and driving in the city, with no congestion charge or ULEZ, no road tax, reduced parking cost in Westminster, massive savings on fuel and do I really need to continue...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom