Are you tired of your tyres?

EWD

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
What does everyone think of their MG5's tyres? Has anyone had to do an emergency stop and if so how well did you stop?

Since I've had my car I've wheel span it a couple of times, in the wet, coming out of junctions. I'm not sure how much is me needing to get used to the extra power of the car or whether the grip isn't quite as good as my last car?

Does anyone know what the current spec of the tyre is for noise, efficiency and handling in the wet? I've looked and not found much. They're mostly US websites.

The MG website says these are the recommended tyres:

205 / 60 R16​
96V​
Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

Looking around the "best" spec I could see was the following but I'm not sure how they compare to what we have on at the moment.

1612824612277.png

I'd be interested to hear what other MG5 driver think.

I have wheelspun it once but tbh I dont have a clue what tyres I have on it and they are under a foot of snow at the moment and getting deeper...lol.

The car is both powerful and heavy so wheelspin under acceleration and understeer when cornering are part of the physics. The tyres are fine. You could obviously get something with more grip but you'd probably lose range due to the increased friction. Those Continental tyres are a pretty good compromise, but they do wear quite quickly.

An EV has humungous low down torque, so it is easy to spin the tyres on a slippy getaway, like well-used junctions and traffic lights. As Petriix says, they are designed to give the best range. If the range is not an issue you could, at a later date perhaps, change them for something more grippy.

The junction where I wheel span was both wet and well used. That combined with the car being new and unfamiliar was likely the reason.

I don't see myself boyracering it around the back lanes. It was my wheel spins that got me thinking about how good it would at stopping in an emergency.

My Passat seemed to have anchors. It was very good at stopping and in the 6 years of driving it, it's saved me from idiots on a number of occasions. I was more aware of someone piling into the back of me, rather than me sliding into the back of someone else.

My MG5's tyres are narrower, it's heavier and the low roll resistance may be a double edge sword.

I just wonder how the stopping distance compares with other cars?

Have any of you had to slam the breaks on yet?

I'm not talking from experience. With lockdown and living in London, I don't think I've yet driven my MG5 faster than 40mph.

I had to do an emergency stop when a car pulled out onto a duel carriageway and stopped whilst I was doing 60mph, I could not move to the outside lane as a car was approaching fast in the outside lane. I hit the brakes very hard, the ABS engaged and I stopped in time to my relief. The brakes seemed very powerful and efficient. I had concerns over the cars weight but this stop has allayed my fears.

I'm looking at these Good year vector 4 season gen-3 much to the suprise of my wife as she could swear the new car came with new tyres.
Screenshot_20210209-110250.png

I just fitted All-Season tyres to my Jazz, and the mpg went down by quite a bit. As long as you are happy with the reduction in range (same as mpg in an ICE), they may suit your needs.

I had to do an emergency stop when a car pulled out onto a duel carriageway and stopped whilst I was doing 60mph, I could not move to the outside lane as a car was approaching fast in the outside lane. I hit the brakes very hard, the ABS engaged and I stopped in time to my relief. The brakes seemed very powerful and efficient. I had concerns over the cars weight but this stop has allayed my fears.
Are you talking about an MG5 or MG ZS EV?

The MG5 had narrower wheels.

I did a bit of internet search and found the Bridgestone ECOPIA EP422 plus is actually quite an ok all season tyre, but it is not available in the UK. It’s meant to have low rolling resistance, all season traction, high mileage compound and quiet at speed. Some online US reviews rave about how quiet it is, whilst some slate it for wearing after 20k miles

I have driven it in snow recently in Scotland and found it’s traction to be ok. Wet traction on heavy right foot out of junction causes some wheel spin, but easily avoided if being sensible with it. The high torque of the EV motor usually do that in any EV. Found Eco mode best in snow as the throttle response is duller or simply let the car creep up a snowy hill using 100% of its torque at 3mph! Found EV to be brilliant in snow with the right tyres.

I was going to swap them for 4seasons or CrossClimate, but they tend to lose a bit of range. Will need to investigate before the next set of tires is due for a change. If anyone come across something similar, might be worth sharing.

The standard tyres are described as "all season". Does this equate in any way to the Michelin Crossclimates? I say that as they do seem to have sipes in the tread.

I did a bit of internet search and found the Bridgestone ECOPIA EP422 plus is actually quite an ok all season tyre, but it is not available in the UK. It’s meant to have low rolling resistance, all season traction, high mileage compound and quiet at speed. Some online US reviews rave about how quiet it is, whilst some slate it for wearing after 20k miles

I have driven it in snow recently in Scotland and found it’s traction to be ok. Wet traction on heavy right foot out of junction causes some wheel spin, but easily avoided if being sensible with it. The high torque of the EV motor usually do that in any EV. Found Eco mode best in snow as the throttle response is duller or simply let the car creep up a snowy hill using 100% of its torque at 3mph! Found EV to be brilliant in snow with the right tyres.

I was going to swap them for 4seasons or CrossClimate, but they tend to lose a bit of range. Will need to investigate before the next set of tires is due for a change. If anyone come across something similar, might be worth sharing.
It's weird because it also quotes it as a summer tyre in other reviews. Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 plus

The standard tyres are described as "all season". Does this equate in any way to the Michelin Crossclimates? I say that as they do seem to have sipes in the tread.
Not quite as good in winter and snow as the more premium all-season with snow symbols like the CrossClimate or Vector 4seasons... the Bridgestone is simply all-season without snow symbol.

I’ve been caught out a few time as I’ve changed from a RWD vehicle, even at a junction with a straight, dry road ahead, pulling away quickly it even needed 2 hands on the wheel to control it as I left the dumbfounded BMW in my wake 🥴🤔😂

To me, the tread pattern of these tyres is not a full All-Weather tread pattern.
The Yokohama Bluearth All-Weather tyres I have, have a far better water-shedding tread.

Attachments

• Bridgestone-Ecopia-EP422-Plus-Tire-Review.png
    Bridgestone-Ecopia-EP422-Plus-Tire-Review.png
    93 KB · Views: 207
  • Profil_BluEarth-4SAW21.jpg
    Profil_BluEarth-4SAW21.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 178
New Michelin CrossClimate 2 have just been released in a 205/60 R16 V (96), an interesting replacement for the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

Also a limited review :

Great, now I want new tyres and I haven’t done 300 miles yet! 😂😝😂

Also for anyone not happy with the current tyres, make sure your tyres pressures are correct, my new car came from the dealer with over inflated tyres (38psi instead of 32psi)!

Andy

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom