• I don't but I am thinking about it.

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

slmorgan42

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have on and off thought about using a frunk but then decide not too.

My main thinking is opening the front of the car to get a charge cable out could be quite dirty specially in the rain. Also popping the front open putting it on its support rod seems a little more hassle than the boot. I also like keeping the engine cover in place to keep it as clean as possible.

Living in a London flat I rely 100% on public chargers so are taking the cable out to charge at least once a week.

Just curious to hear other peoples thoughts for or against?

I have on and off thought about using a frunk but then decide not too.

My main thinking is opening the front of the car to get a charge cable out could be quite dirty specially in the rain.
Ditto the tailgate? (probably even worse).

Also popping the front open putting it on its support rod seems a little more hassle than the boot.
Gas struts are available for the bonnet

I also like keeping the engine cover in place to keep it as clean as possible.
I dont think the dirt that gets in there is from above the cover.

Living in a London flat I rely 100% on public chargers so are taking the cable out to charge at least once a week.
You have my sympathies.

Just curious to hear other peoples thoughts for or against?
Always good to seek other viewpoints.

I keep my type 2 table under the bonnet on the plastic tray in there. I didn't want to modify the car (slight concern about warranty compliance, major case of laziness and not being bothered!) but it's tucked away there. Doesn't clog up the boot but handy (eg at the weekend unexpectedly parked up where free charging was available so took advantage).

Took maybe 10 seconds more to get from front than the boot?

And to say 90% of my charging is at home, maybe 4% on tethered DC chargers it's really very rare I need to get it out.

I used to use one for the charging cable and winter grit etc. but now I just keep that stuff in the passenger foot well. It was too much hassle having to open the bonnet and getting dirty whenever I wanted something. Plus the dealer complained everytime they saw it, that it was a safety/fire hazard and could affect my warranty.

I used to use one for the charging cable and winter grit etc. but now I just keep that stuff in the passenger foot well. It was too much hassle having to open the bonnet and getting dirty whenever I wanted something. Plus the dealer complained everytime they saw it, that it was a safety/fire hazard and could affect my warranty.
Did you ask them on what grounds it was a safety hazard and on what grounds was it a fire hazard. I bet they couldn't give a sensible answer to this.

This is sort of inline with my thinking. I know the back and the front of the car can get dirty but generally it seems cleaner when open the boot.

As I say I rely 99% of the time on the type 2 so are accessing it a lot.

Probably wouldn’t use the driver side as I normally have a full car. But in the FL the right side of the boot has a perfect pocket for storing the cable.

Thanks to everyone who has commented so far always good to hear different points of view. :)

My dealer’s technician gave me the same warning when he saw my cable on the under bonnet tray. I suppose it at least proves he was in there 👌

My main thinking is opening the front of the car to get a charge cable out could be quite dirty specially in the rain. Also popping the front open putting it on its support rod seems a little more hassle than the boot. I also like keeping the engine cover in place to keep it as clean as possible.
I think the reverse Is the case - it’s only once the cable has been used that it might be dirty with lying on the ground between the charger and the car’s charge port. I don’t want to be wrestling with it and storing it back amongst the stuff in the boot.

No frunk but my cable has lived under the bonnet for pretty much the entire 2 years we've had the car. It's easier to get to there. The cable is right where it's needed, not the opposite end of the car to the charging point and I quickly discovered, if I kept it in the boot it just got buried under other stuff and I'd end up having to empty the boot to get the cable.

Don't use it much though, at home we have an old pod point with a tethered cable. Rarely charge away from home and if we do it's generally a rapid charger with a tethered cable.

My dealer’s technician gave me the same warning when he saw my cable on the under bonnet tray. I suppose it at least proves he was in there 👌
Our dealer mentioned he thought it was a great idea first time he saw ours stashed there 🤣 Love to hear their thinking behind it being a fire hazard.

I fitted my frunk on Saturday ready for my next adventure. Nothing in it yet, so I can see if it gets wet / dirty. Whatever goes in must be under 8kg & not damaged by cold / wet / spray / dust.

It gets its full test next month.

I fitted my frunk on Saturday ready for my next adventure. Nothing in it yet, so I can see if it gets wet / dirty. Whatever goes in must be under 8kg & not damaged by cold / wet / spray / dust.

It gets its full test next month.
Which frunk did you get? could you provide a link please.

Hi @tkmaxx5 any chance you could post a picture? I'm not sure my 'sockets' would fit under the bonnet.

IMG_20231128_125417759.jpg

Last edited:
I have a nice hi viz jacket and a type 2 lead tucked in my frunk. They've been there the past 3 years with only the occasional outing. The jacket is still clean - you just need to be careful everything is tidy and nothing sticks out to get trapped under the stay or the bonnet rubber and care is taken to shut the bonnet gently.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom