At what point do you decide to charge the car?

Smendon

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Oh sages of the EV, I have a question for all of thee.

My battery light has come on to charge the car, but I still have 33 miles left on the GOM. Thinking about the next few days and how little I’m going to use the car (damn you Covid!), I’m tempted to not charge it tonight.

Now, as it’s low I’m wondering if leaving it will damage the battery in the long run or can leave it until I get below 20 miles to charge it?

What do you all think?

So, charge it when it gets below 50%? Wouldn’t that eventually harm the battery in the long run as you end up charging it more than if you let it get to below 20%?

Rough rule of thumb I use:

Charge to full when I get to <50 miles remaining on the GOM, I keep an eye on my calendar, obviously if I have a long journey in the coming days I'll put it on charge.

TBH, because I only use mine locally, I don't take too much notice of when to charge, I just top it up a bit for free each time I go to Tescos, which is about twice a week. It's usually between 70-90 miles on the GOM lately, I think the lowest it's been was 50 miles, so I have not seen the battery light yet. I've only charged it to full at home 4 times in 6 months, I've only done 1425 miles.

I put mine on charge a few days ago, the gauge had changed from 3 sections to 2. it was on 31%, after an overnight charge of 8 and half hours, it was on 81% and 6 sections, close to recommended, same as did with my petrol car, half a tank added when down to 1/4. I don't go far, run the heater on high, preheat and avoid looking at the range meter or miles per KW.
If you are going on a trip you may need to think about it

Last edited:
With the nice warm weather we got here now (forecast says -15c tomorrow), I keep it connected more or less constantly, and always top up is I have had a drive longer than into the center of the town (might manage a whole kilometer on that round trip, flat all the way, so not mutch juice needed, and not ofthen done either).
When the temperature was more livable, I charged when gom, in normal, said less than 60 km. Then I would have plenty to get to closest hospital, even if I might not necessarily keep the speedlimit. But now I don't take any chances, and keep it topped up.

My battery light has come on to charge the car, but I still have 33 miles left on the GOM. Thinking about the next few days and how little I’m going to use the car (damn you Covid!), I’m tempted to not charge it tonight.

Now, as it’s low I’m wondering if leaving it will damage the battery in the long run or can leave it until I get below 20 miles to charge it?

What do you all think?
Smendon, two points to consider

1. You never know when you will need the car, so keep it as full as possible just in case

2. Whilst plugged in you can preheat the car without losing battery power. A significant benefit on these icy winters days in Scotland

What do you all think?
I charged it that Sunday night ha!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom