Auto Defrost of Front Windscreen Around Camera Housing?

Buchanty

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hello everyone. My six-month old LR MG5 lives outside and has been standing for 48 hours in these freezing (for the UK) temperatures. I’ve noticed that the front windscreen is defrosting itself around the camera housing. This evening I thought I’d better check the 12v battery charge and was surprised to see it’d already dropped to 11.7 volts, leaving me concerned about what would have happened if I’d gone away for a while. I’ve trawled through the manual but can’t find anything about this. Just wondering if anyone’s got any thoughts and I’d be intrigued to read any comments from our international members in colder climates. Apologies for length of post. Pics attached.

Attachments

• B94F1ED2-552F-4EB8-8816-AFC6C93B949F.jpeg
    B94F1ED2-552F-4EB8-8816-AFC6C93B949F.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 3AD47C53-0A00-4EAA-8F2C-0A5D124FA8C1.jpeg
    3AD47C53-0A00-4EAA-8F2C-0A5D124FA8C1.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 90
The 12v is meant to automatically be topped up as long as the car is above 40% charge (I think that's the cut off percentage anyway) that's one of the reasons for the manual saying if you leave it for extended periods do it above 50%.

The 12v is meant to automatically be topped up as long as the car is above 40% charge (I think that's the cut off percentage anyway) that's one of the reasons for the manual saying if you leave it for extended periods do it above 50%.
Thanks!

Checked mine this morning. No sign of it defrosting near the camera. Worth noting that due to the camera/housing its likely to affect the rate at which that area freezes, differently to the rest of the screen and may explain some of the discrepancy you're seeing.

Checked mine this morning. No sign of it defrosting near the camera. Worth noting that due to the camera/housing its likely to affect the rate at which that area freezes, differently to the rest of the screen and may explain some of the discrepancy you're seeing.
Ah, of course. That’s very useful. Thanks!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom