Auto dip headlights

greentangerine

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Thinking of trading in my Mondeo estate for the MG5 (my wife swapped her Fiesta for a Zoe and it's great) and having had a test drive I'm happy but as stated in another post, the level of kit is below what I expected. I'll lose the automatic parking, front parking sensors, heated windscreen, heated steering wheel, speed limiter and seemingly the auto dip/main on the headlights. All of the previous I can do without realistically, although all are used frequently, but the auto dip seems like a game changer. I've downloaded the manual and other than it has auto headlights, I don't know if that just means they switch on when dark or do they dip etc as I'm currently used to?

Thinking of trading in my Mondeo estate for the MG5 (my wife swapped her Fiesta for a Zoe and it's great) and having had a test drive I'm happy but as stated in another post, the level of kit is below what I expected. I'll lose the automatic parking, front parking sensors, heated windscreen, heated steering wheel, speed limiter and seemingly the auto dip/main on the headlights. All of the previous I can do without realistically, although all are used frequently, but the auto dip seems like a game changer. I've downloaded the manual and other than it has auto headlights, I don't know if that just means they switch on when dark or do they dip etc as I'm currently used to?
I have ordered an MG5 and yes your right I'll miss those things from my Evoque's and Discovery mostly the heated windscreen & s/wheel. But not the price, car tax and running costs. You pay for what you get.
I think the gadgets are a bit less on the 5 then with the LS ev (which we also have). But when you read on here how people change lights, add insulation to stop drafts, fuse covers not fitted, condensation, steamy windows & moisture bags, dirty back end from road dirt plus the software problems then add the dealer problems one reads about and we paying thousands of pounds for the car is it actually worth it?
I'm hoping the 5 does not have such problems/issue's as its been around in China for a few years.
I hope the auto headlight you mention is fully auto though.
I did almost cancel my 5 order due the dealer not being able to sort out our LSev updates effectively the first time but this again is in part due to the poor MG processes.
However the MG5 orders in but still with some doughts and March is 3 1/2 months away?

I thought the sales blurb mentions auto dip headlights?I

There again the brochure shows a bike stored on the roof rails but the manual states the rails are for decoration only and must not be used to carry loads!

The roof rails can hold 50kg even though the manual states the rails are for decoration. I have a feeling the manual is out of date. You can buy roof rails and a bike holder. The MG website says the following, "For added practicality and storage, you can add a set of lightweight aluminium aero roof bars to give you an additional 50kg of carrying capacity. (Suitable for MG5 EV Exclusive model only) "

The blurb doesn't say, "auto dip headlights" it says, "Auto Headlights". From my test drive and reading around this just turns the headlights lights on when they are needed. It doesn't appear to auto dip and the manual confirms this. There's also no options for it in the settings menu like there is in the MG ZS EV.

Thanks for correcting me ewd.

I was mistaken where I saw the reference to high beam assist - it was with MG5's advertised in AutoTrader.

Some have been corrected but Chorley for example are advertising new MG5's and the detailed specification still includes 'front fog lights, heated windscreen and high beam assist' none of which appear in the brochure (or it appears the car)!

Obviously the detailed specification sheet had not been checked before posting - it was one of the questions I was going to put to my dealer.

My Exclusive has the auto dim and they work perfectly - can get used to this lazy driving !

Do you mean you have auto dip. If so how does that operate. Thanks
I'm pretty sure my MG5 Exclusive doesn't have auto dip. Unlike the ZS EV, there's no options for it in the configuration menu. It only turns the headlights on and off automatically, not the dipped headlights.

I'm pretty sure my MG5 Exclusive doesn't have auto dip. Unlike the ZS EV, there's no options for it in the configuration menu. It only turns the headlights on and off automatically, not the dipped headlights.
I think your correct ewd2001 which is a great shame. Just another "little" niggle with the car but it may well have come with the facelift. Still value for money though. Just like old times when you had to keep awake and flick levers :)

I can't stand auto full beam. It's always too slow to dip so inevitably dazzles every single oncoming vehicle. In the Leaf I tried it a few times before simply turning it off permanently. You have to anticipate and dip your lights before the vehicle comes into view.

I can't stand auto full beam. It's always too slow to dip so inevitably dazzles every single oncoming vehicle. In the Leaf I tried it a few times before simply turning it off permanently. You have to anticipate and dip your lights before the vehicle comes into view.
As said before my auto dip works great - no delay at all - cant say more than that !

No auto dip in mind either. Just auto headlights unless I am missing something obvious

The 5 doesnt have auto dip. I think folks are getting confused with the auto dimming...which is on the rear view mirror.

I think ZS owners occasionally chime in on discussions without realising that we're talking about the 5.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom