Auto Dipping Headlights

Bryan Flanagan

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
We have been highly impressed by the HS' headlights, their power and beam shape are the best that we have found. Likewise the auto dipping function has performed flawlessly for us. In previous cars I have always switched auto dipping off as it was too slow acting but the HS does this better than I can so I leave it enabled. Last night we drove it in fog for the first time and for the first time I took manual control of the dipping because it was too slow recognising oncoming cars, and most of the time when the lights went back onto high beam the lights caused too much glare on the fog. One surprising indication while driving in the fog was that the HS' headlights appear to be cross-eyed, the right hand unit appears to point to the left of the road and vice versa. Has anybody else noticed this, or am I dreaming?

We have been highly impressed by the HS' headlights, their power and beam shape are the best that we have found. Likewise the auto dipping function has performed flawlessly for us. In previous cars I have always switched auto dipping off as it was too slow acting but the HS does this better than I can so I leave it enabled. Last night we drove it in fog for the first time and for the first time I took manual control of the dipping because it was too slow recognising oncoming cars, and most of the time when the lights went back onto high beam the lights caused too much glare on the fog. One surprising indication while driving in the fog was that the HS' headlights appear to be cross-eyed, the right hand unit appears to point to the left of the road and vice versa. Has anybody else noticed this, or am I dreaming?
Hi Bryan, I haven't driven in heavy fog but I think you'll find that if you have the front fog lights activated, the auto high beam function is disabled for exactly the reason you've listed above. So the fix is to use the fog lights in fog. :cool:

I'd be interested to know how you get on. The fog lights seem to have the widest spread of light of any vehicle I've experienced, but it would be good to know how effective they are in heavy fog.
Will do. Heavy fog isn't particularly common where I live so it might take a while.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom