Auto door Locking

Most vehicles i have had in the past use either one press on keyfob or two depending if you want deadlocking or not
That's been the case with my previous vehicles, the ZS is the first one I've had that deadlocks automatically when you lock it with one press of the fob or door button.
I wasn't sure it actually deadlocked when I first got it, so I locked it with the window open to check if it did.

Perhaps two presses locks without deadlocks ?
Thats what my current VW does, will have to try and remember to try it out later when im home

Perhaps two presses locks without deadlocks ?
Thats what my current VW does, will have to try and remember to try it out later when im home
No, I did that, thinking I was deadlocking it, when I first got the car, the second press just unlocks the car.

AKA deadlocking.
It's to prevent someone breaking a window and opening the door with interior handle to get in, meaning they have to climb through the window to actually enter the car a slight deterrent to theft. IIRC it's a requirement in the UK for insurance purposes.
As you say, it is dangerous to lock someone in the car, that's why many manufacturers advise against it, although there's no mention in the ZS manual.
Im waiting on my ZS so currently driving a 2019 Focus. If I press the keyfob once it locks and i can still unlock from inside the car, but if I press the keyfob twice it deadlocks. My Wife's 2017 clio is the same, press 1 for lock, press 2 for deadlock. Would have thought the MG would be similar?

I just tested this once and for all.

Got into the car, closed the door, and pressed LOCK on the keyfob.

There is good news and bad news.

The good news is that even when i lock the door, it is still possible to open the door from the inside, pulling twice....Pull-release-pull (Works on both front and rear doors, so nobody should be trapped inside)

The bad news is that when you lock the door, you arm the alarm, so anyone left in the car, that tries to get out, will trigger the alarm, and the person with the key has probably left so no way to turn the alarm off. :)

I just tested this once and for all.

Got into the car, closed the door, and pressed LOCK on the keyfob.

There is good news and bad news.

The good news is that even when i lock the door, it is still possible to open the door from the inside, pulling twice....Pull-release-pull (Works on both front and rear doors, so nobody should be trapped inside)

The bad news is that when you lock the door, you arm the alarm, so anyone left in the car, that tries to get out, will trigger the alarm, and the person with the key has probably left so no way to turn the alarm off. :)
I may be missing something here, but surely if there are people left in the vehicle they should just lock it from the inside....

I may be missing something here, but surely if there are people left in the vehicle they should just lock it from the inside....

If i leave my 8 year old kid in the car, i am not sure i would want him to sit in the drivers seat, which is the only place where there is an internal locking button as far as i know.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom