Auto High Beam Experience

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have the Trophy Connect long range which I have been getting used to over the last few weeks. The driving for me has been superb and the settings I have been fine tunning as I experience features. I have always made it a rule never to just follow recommendations, however well intentioned, without first trying the features and finding what suits my driving style.

I have only driven on 2 journeys at night without street lighting. I wanted to see how the auto high beam feature would behave. The 25 mile journey in pretty bad weather, on very dark roads, and with moderate traffic, was an eye opener for me. The auto high beam setting had not been changed since getting the car so I was warry of it following many comments here and on other forums. Suprisingly I was really impressed by how good it coped.

Firstly I was on a stretch of road which I know well. As I approached a round about from a gentle turn I thought it would not go to high beam because of the well illuminated roundabout. However, it recognised an unlit road sign (giving all the directions) which made it clearly visible. When I got to the roundabout it had already dimmed the lights as it was well illuminated.

On another section with a long straight section but dark it easily went to full beam with no cars ahead and dipped as soon as either a car was coming toward me or it saw rear lights ahead. In fact it changed exactly when I would have.

On another stretch it seamed to have a hiccup when an S bend with masking trees obscurred forward and oncoming traffic for only a few seconds. However, its only because I know those bends that I would not have switched to full beam. I think the car got it right for safety reasons.

Not once in the whole journey did it dazzle any driver or pedestrian and as a result I'm going to keep it on and monitor over longer drives. However, hopefully my experience may balance opinion and help other MG ZS drivers try before they commit to turning off features which may be perfectly OK for their individual needs.

I have the Trophy Connect long range which I have been getting used to over the last few weeks. The driving for me has been superb and the settings I have been fine tunning as I experience features. I have always made it a rule never to just follow recommendations, however well intentioned, without first trying the features and finding what suits my driving style.

I have only driven on 2 journeys at night without street lighting. I wanted to see how the auto high beam feature would behave. The 25 mile journey in pretty bad weather, on very dark roads, and with moderate traffic, was an eye opener for me. The auto high beam setting had not been changed since getting the car so I was warry of it following many comments here and on other forums. Suprisingly I was really impressed by how good it coped.

Firstly I was on a stretch of road which I know well. As I approached a round about from a gentle turn I thought it would not go to high beam because of the well illuminated roundabout. However, it recognised an unlit road sign (giving all the directions) which made it clearly visible. When I got to the roundabout it had already dimmed the lights as it was well illuminated.

On another section with a long straight section but dark it easily went to full beam with no cars ahead and dipped as soon as either a car was coming toward me or it saw rear lights ahead. In fact it changed exactly when I would have.

On another stretch it seamed to have a hiccup when an S bend with masking trees obscurred forward and oncoming traffic for only a few seconds. However, its only because I know those bends that I would not have switched to full beam. I think the car got it right for safety reasons.

Not once in the whole journey did it dazzle any driver or pedestrian and as a result I'm going to keep it on and monitor over longer drives. However, hopefully my experience may balance opinion and help other MG ZS drivers try before they commit to turning off features which may be perfectly OK for their individual needs.
Most the time is good but sometimes it will flash a car when your following it so I think it great when not may cars around but bit rubbish when there are a few cars around in the end it was easy to have it switched off
There was a poll on it

Last edited:
I wish I could control/ disable it through the stalk on the steering wheel instead of the menu on the infotainment screen.

A couple of weeks ago was leaving home before dawn, sub-zero temperatures. Defrosted the windscreen but the camera must have been still obscured. Firstly got the warning that auto beam is not available. Which is fine. But then it started pretty much randomly putting the high beam on and off. Which, when you are doing 70mph on a motorway, is not fine...

Sometimes due to circumstances beyond our control these features will misbehave thats why I have now got into the habit of checking all cameras and sensors for any obstruction before a journey. Our roads are very mucky with the weather we have. The other day my 360 reversing camera was blocked on the rear view. I now carry a small towel to clean each camera in turn as well as clean my charging lead after a wet recharge.
If I were you I would stop as safely as you can (not on hard shoulder) and go through the menu to turn it off in such adverse conditions. You can always turn it on later when conditions improve.

Last edited:
I wish I could control/ disable it through the stalk on the steering wheel instead of the menu on the infotainment screen.

A couple of weeks ago was leaving home before dawn, sub-zero temperatures. Defrosted the windscreen but the camera must have been still obscured. Firstly got the warning that auto beam is not available. Which is fine. But then it started pretty much randomly putting the high beam on and off. Which, when you are doing 70mph on a motorway, is not fine...
Hi Jassper, you should be able to turn off auto through the stalk, (from memory two clicks of the end of light stalk adjuster towards you) first turns lights off, second manual control. You do have to turn lights off when exiting vehicle.

Most the time is good but sometimes it will flash a car when your following it so I think it great when not may cars around but bit rubbish when there are a few cars around in the end it was easy to have it switched off
There was a poll on it
Nearly all cars do this now is not perfect

The amount of time my wife panics when driving home from a late shift thinking someone is flashing lights at her when it's just auto beams or bump in the road.

Can be frustrating when driving as well for oncoming traffic getting blinded the technology is getting better but it's still not perfect

I can definately agree with this but its not only auto systems that can be a menace. The whole reason I now drive an MG ZE EV was because my previous car was written off following an accident caused by a driver not dipping their headlights. They were approaching me on a dark road with a sharp turning where they cut the corner and only lowered their lights when level. I had no time to turn and went off the road.

Fortunately I was not injured. The Insurance company were fantastic and offered a good price on my old car. So sometimes ' sweet are the uses of advercity'' as it brought me to the EV world a little sooner.

But my main point is that both human and auto systems sometimes get it wrong. At all times as drivers we are the ones in control so we drivers are the only ones who make the final decisions.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom