Auto hold function

Are you sure that you’re not using hill hold control? - this will have this result.
‘Hill Hold Control is a comfort function. It works on inclines when the car detects it has come to a ‘stand still status’. As long as D or R is selected and the brake pedal released, the vehicle will maintain pressure in the braking system for 1 – 2 seconds. After this, the Hill Hold will release.’

The (A) is selected and the red light is on. When I started using this function I thought what a good idea as I could never understand why the car crept forward/backwards when in drive mode, why not just come to a dead stop. My son tells me that this is normal on a auto ICE car and I can understand why, but a EV with a motor that is either on or off ?, must be a reason technical/engineering reason that I don't understand yet. I questioned myself the first couple of times the auto hold let go unexpectedly (maybe I had touched something ) but the third time I kept hands on the steering wheel and feet away from pedals. So just don't use it. There are a lot of thing with the ZS that I have switched off (mostly software ) and one or two that I wish I could disable that for me are spoilingmy enjoyment of the car.
I am loving EV driving and am beginning to learn how to get the best out of driving a EV. But I'm not sure th MG ZS is for me, but I'm determined to give the car my best shot.
This forum has been a great help and I've learned so much, great people contributing and trying to help other EV owners, that understand that one person's mountain is another person's hill.

Are you sure that you’re not using hill hold control? - this will have this result.
‘Hill Hold Control is a comfort function. It works on inclines when the car detects it has come to a ‘stand still status’. As long as D or R is selected and the brake pedal released, the vehicle will maintain pressure in the braking system for 1 – 2 seconds. After this, the Hill Hold will release.’
I definitely wasn't using Hill Start Assist, the car held the brakes on for quite a while before it let go, maybe 20-30 seconds.

The (A) is selected and the red light is on. When I started using this function I thought what a good idea as I could never understand why the car crept forward/backwards when in drive mode, why not just come to a dead stop. My son tells me that this is normal on a auto ICE car and I can understand why, but a EV with a motor that is either on or off ?, must be a reason technical/engineering reason that I don't understand yet. I questioned myself the first couple of times the auto hold let go unexpectedly (maybe I had touched something ) but the third time I kept hands on the steering wheel and feet away from pedals. So just don't use it. There are a lot of thing with the ZS that I have switched off (mostly software ) and one or two that I wish I could disable that for me are spoilingmy enjoyment of the car.
I am loving EV driving and am beginning to learn how to get the best out of driving a EV. But I'm not sure th MG ZS is for me, but I'm determined to give the car my best shot.
This forum has been a great help and I've learned so much, great people contributing and trying to help other EV owners, that understand that one person's mountain is another person's hill.
I agree with your sentiment - using the car presents different challenges for different people. It’s not for everyone, but worth persevering if you have the interest.
The ZS does not have what is known as ‘one pedal driving’ which not only slows the car down but brings it to a complete stop and applies the brakes just by lifting off the accelerator. In some EV’s you can also remove the ‘creep’ element but again not on the ZS.
It’s a personal thing but I’ve always used the auto-hold function and never had any issues with it. I pull up and with my foot on the brake for the final stop - check that the green ‘P’ illuminates and then can release the foot brake and the car holds - indefinitely for me until the accelerator is pressed.
I would encourage you to go back to the dealer if your car has not held correctly, and also others who have said the same, it’s not functioning correctly if that is happening - it’s not only disconcerting but could be dangerous and should not happen.
i’m not sure if you’ve already posted on the forum about the other areas that are concerning you. If not I would recommend that you give it a try.
there are some very helpful and knowledgable people on here and I’m sure they would be happy to help - as would I. 😃

I definitely wasn't using Hill Start Assist, the car held the brakes on for quite a while before it let go, maybe 20-30 seconds.
I’ve just mentioned this in another post. There must be a fault if it’s doing that and it could be dangerous under certain situations - I would recommend getting MG to sort it out under warranty.

I’ve just mentioned this in another post. There must be a fault if it’s doing that and it could be dangerous under certain situations - I would recommend getting MG to sort it out under warranty.
I tried it today, sat on my drive and it held until I got bored waiting after a few minutes.
Pressing the brake pedal didn't release it, pressing the auto hold button again released it and put the parking brake on.
So in conclusion, I can only think I must have caught the accelerator pedal the first time when it let go on me.
Surprising thing, when pressing the Auto hold button a second time, when it put the parking brake on, the small parking brake switch was lit red and the car was holding, but the shifter was still in D.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom