Auto lights

Doddydoodle

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
My auto lights aren't coming on until it is almost pitch black. Also I can't see a low beam indicator on the dash. Does it have one, and is this being noticed by anyone else. MG 5 long range. 5k miles.

No I get the dipped lights shown on my dash of the mg5 lr also it is coming on when it is not totally pitch black maybe need to call mg service and get it checked

What @Alb said. From the manual these are the dashboard symbols for the lights (taken from that elusive manual)

1665388717389.png

I have noticed the same with our ZS. It needs to be pretty dark before they activate. Just a characteristic of the cars I think. Also they don’t activate (as I think they should) in heavy rain either fyi. Let us know if the dealership can alter the sensitivity for you!

Not pitch black, but my 5's definitely come on later than I'd like. I'd registered it before, but it's especially noticeable after coming back from an e208 courtesy car after a couple of weeks. Interested to know if the sensitivity can be changed. Other than that I'd thought about putting a darkening film over the sensor, assuming it's the dome at the base of the windscreen.

I wouldn't worry about it as they are so pointless anyway. Worse headlights on a car I have ever experienced and probably the only issue I have with my MG5

Thanks for that, I was wondering if it was just me. I've had cars on the motorway flashing me as the lights on every other car has come on but not mine. Is there a software fix for this as its dangerous?

If you are not happy with the Auto lights, then it would seem easiest just to turn Auto off. (on the headlight stalk twist away from you and let it return on the spring)

Trouble is it defaults to Auto so you have to do this every time you use the car (n)

I've had the same, I wondered if it's something to do with the type of technology it uses. I noticed once they came on when it was dusk but dark enough, then I went under a motorway bridge where it was even darker for a few seconds, when I came out the other side they went off as the car thought it was lighter! So I wondered if the system works on contrast rather than actual light levels. Mind of their own like the auto wipers.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom