Auto main beam unavailable error

sal84

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Recently, I have been getting an "auto main beam unavailable" warning in the panel around morning and evening. I don't know if it is because the low sun confuses the light sensor or if the system has an issue. I just wondering if anyone else had this issue?

This is frost covering the windscreen camera. When melted away works as normal.

Happened to me for the first time today - screen was iced up and I hadn't cleared where the sensor is, so assume it's that.

Update 1 day later .. was out and about on unlit roads last night, with a clear screen. It worked fine.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies. I think mine has a problem, as it has started before it gets too cold. Today with frost covering the screen, I got "front camera is covered" warning.

Thank you for your replies. I think mine has a problem, as it has started before it gets too cold. Today with frost covering the screen, I got "front camera is covered" warning.
Front camera covered warning only come on after the camera has been covered for a prolonged period of time as it deactivates many of the safety features. It also has a audible tone. Main beam unavailable will come on as soon as the camera is misted or fogged, and has no audible tone. Mine has done it every time we have gone out in the cold.

No you have not got a problem you need to put heat on and on to the windscreen can take a bit of time to clear.

Yes, this also happens to mine…what I do have a problem with is the high beam..I’m driving around tonight, built up area and the main beam kept coming on..in the end I just put main lights on by the switch..I guess a lot of it has to do with it being so cold..

Last edited:
I also got MG pilot unavailable so I figured it was the camera misted or frosted up. Doubly annoying for me as I have turned the auto high beam off in the settings as it had a mind of its own.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom