Auto wipers - do anyone's work properly?

AK OK

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My auto wipers drive me nuts, to the point where it's the most annoying thing about the car.

Intermittent "auto" mode is frankly crap or there's something wrong with mine (& a demo car I tried at another dealer).

Usually they just stop wiping as you drive along, in the rain, until you are forced to either a) flick stalk up to "on" then back down to intermittent or b) flick stalk down to off & pull stalk down again to do "a wipe" then repeat or c) adjust the "sensitivity" on the intermittent setting to poke it into temporary action...

Other times it won't stop wiping (on auto) even though the screen is so dry the wipers are screeching across the glass! 🤷‍♂️

Anyone else seeing this? Anyone cured it?

It's been the same on every car I've had with them, Fords and Toyotas.
I actually renamed them "Random wipers"
I wish there was some way to downgrade them to intermittent wipers, at least you can select and know when and how often they are going to wipe the screen with intermittent.

It's been the same on every car I've had with them, Fords and Toyotas.
I renamed them "Random wipers"
I wish there was some way to downgrade them to intermittent wipers, at least you can select and know when and how often they are going to wipe the screen with intermittent.
That would be a mahoosive improvement!
The switches etc appear to be capable just need to disable/mangle the sensor's involvement ? 🤔

That would be a mahoosive improvement!
The switches etc appear to be capable just need to disable/mangle the sensor's involvement ? 🤔
Looking at my exclusive windscreen from the outside, is it the camera viewing port or the small circular "hole" to the right of it?

Mine (HS Phev) work the same as you describe. In heavy rain they work fine, but the misty fine rain that is quite often in the UK seems to evade detection by the sensor.

My auto wipers drive me nuts, to the point where it's the most annoying thing about the car.

Intermittent "auto" mode is frankly crap or there's something wrong with mine (& a demo car I tried at another dealer).

Usually they just stop wiping as you drive along, in the rain, until you are forced to either a) flick stalk up to "on" then back down to intermittent or b) flick stalk down to off & pull stalk down again to do "a wipe" then repeat or c) adjust the "sensitivity" on the intermittent setting to poke it into temporary action...

Other times it won't stop wiping (on auto) even though the screen is so dry the wipers are screeching across the glass! 🤷‍♂️

Anyone else seeing this? Anyone cured it?
I don’t think this is just an MG ZS EV issue. I sometimes have the same issues with my Nissan Juke.

Oh no! I thought it was just a ‘glitch’ on my Peugeot - when on auto, the wipers can suddenly (and unnecessarily) start wiping at an astonishing speed, so I have to turn them off……
I was hoping for better on the MG.
Hopefully, the cupholders on the MG will accommodate drink bottles. Another huge irritant on the Peugeot 😡

I've never had a problem on my MG5 but I do support the view that it's a totally unnecessary feature that's added to modern cars for marketing reasons only.

Oh no! I thought it was just a ‘glitch’ on my Peugeot - when on auto, the wipers can suddenly (and unnecessarily) start wiping at an astonishing speed, so I have to turn them off……
I was hoping for better on the MG.
Hopefully, the cupholders on the MG will accommodate drink bottles. Another huge irritant on the Peugeot 😡
Cup holders in MG are so deep that whole Mcdonald regular coffee falls so deep you struggle to get it out

Sorry felt very passionate about as just had coffee spill again :)

As for wipers yeah my suck too fave up on them
That's a bummer when that happens. I've started putting a couple of sheets of folded kitchen roll in the bottom of my cup holders when I have a hot beverage. (Oh no! Now I've gone off topic :))

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom