Autoheadlights question

FatSting

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I havent managed to get them to come on yet. How dark does it need to be. I thought they would have come on in the Dartford tunnel

It needs to be undeniably dark. It's intentional to prevent them flickering on off as you're driving along. I suspect time of day may also play a part, but maybe they're not even they intelligent.

In heavy rain/tunnels during daylight hours I manually click my lights on as it usually doesn't do it itself and I hate to be that person I complain about who drives around with DRLs on and no rear lights in the mist/rain.

The lights on my SR come on just passing under large trees I tend to turn it off and go manual when it gets dark.

There is something wrong with certainly 2022 models in that a number have reported the flash on then off when the ambient light is around the turn on level. Mine will come on I local multi storey carpark which is unlit. Generally its needs to be quite dark to trigger them i.e most others have there lights on and the mg5 hasn't turned on. As I got mine in the spring hasn't troubled me much. But as the nights draw in I suspect it will need manual operation.

Mine are very insensitive.
I wouldn't dare leave them in Auto when it's getting dark.

cool thanks
I actually went out last night in the dark. They came on and the auto headlamp dipping thing worked well. But I will probably use them manually in rain/mist etc

To be clear, they do come on in the dark. It's the point of transition that's the problem.

To be clear, they do come on in the dark. It's the point of transition that's the problem.
agreed. But as I have discovered from the people here, a little manual lights on shouldnt be a problem. I have an old BMW 840 (as my classic toy) and have to turn the lights on on that.

I've done just over 1000 miles now (I had a Discovery 4 before) and I'm really starting to like this car.
It handles reasonably well and it overtakes like stink!!

Funny thing is I have auto lights on my other car (2010 Ford Focus) and have never once used it.
Because it defaults to my preferred mode of manual operation I never have to touch it, and that leaves me perfectly happy.
On the MG however, it defaults to Auto. I'd much rather it didn't, but seeing as it insists on intruding into my driving experience I expect it to work perfectly and it doesn't.

My 2022 MG5 auto turn on only come on when it is so dark you can hardly see! My Skoda has a menu option to vary the sensitivity, which I have done. I seem to recall someone else in another thread took their 5 back to the dealer who has the ability to change the auto light turn on sensitivity. I intend to do this very soon and hope the thread I saw was right.

My ZS and SWMBO's 5 seem to be about right, both come on after about 100yds into a tunnel or underground car park.
I always switch to manual in rain now, sometimes it wasn't dark enough to turn them on and sometimes when it was and they came on, they would switch off again if it brightened up a bit even though it was still raining.

I met another MG5 owner today when I was PodPoint charging at Tesco. We got chatting about the car and she said she also had a problem with the auto lights only in her case, not only did they come on late but they would also flicker on and off.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom