Automatic car wash

RoadUser

Standard Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these on a MG5? I usually take our other car to one at the petrol station but a bit hesitant with the MG5, as it makes tin sort of noise even when rain drops fall, so not sure what sort of effect the rollers thrashing against the 5 would have.

I guess the panels are thinner on the MG compared to that on an ICE vehicle.

Not an MG5

I got 12 free washes at IMO/ARC with my insurance renewal. Used it once and wasn't comfortable using it again. Just didn't like it, seemed like stiff brushes on the car, guidance wheels running down the side of the car.

Only hand washing it since.

My combo van panels are so thin I reckon you can push a Stanley knife through the steel.
I used to run that through the car wash out of lazy Ness that was deafening. I wouldn't run a nice car through one.

Hi
I used to work at BMW in Leeds in the 90’s and they had an automatic car wash and I learnt a few things but these may not apply to today’s car washes
If you follow a dirty 4x4 there is a certain amount of dirt that doesn’t get washed off the brushes and this is being brushed at speed down your car
If you use them often enough you get fine lines from front to back of your car body eventually dulling the paint
If it’s an open car wash (outside) and you are the first one there maybe still ice on the brushes thus causing damage to your car
And finally when I was talking to the service man who serviced the one at BMW he told me a story of a car wash that wash on a petrol station for court where someone had tied a couple of small nuts onto the brushes at and the first car that went through was wrecked
I don’t know how true this story is but it is plausible
I myself have always washed my car by hand one sponge for the bottom third of the car and wheels and the other for the rest of the body
😃👍🏻👍🏻😂

I soak mine with a hose first to loosen the dirt, then just use a sponge under the cold running water. never bother drying it though. Takes less than 10 minutes even when it's pretty grubby.

I do get rather wet too though!

Personally, I would NEVER use an automatic car wash! Read too many stories of damage caused and anyway, I prefer the human touch. Every few weeks, I pay just £6 to an excellent crew of Lithuanians to give mine an excellent wash. There would be four of them doing it and generally I have to wait, ‘cos they are good and popular with a queue of cars lined up to be washed! If I want the inside quickly cleaned and vacuumed, then it’s just £4 extra - at £10 for the inside and out, a bargain!

As I am retired, keeping my car in tip top condition is one my few pleasures. I do not let any other hand than mine touch it and the thought of a roller coming near to it would send off to the booze cabinet for a stiff drink. I don’t even use my Karcher on the MG5 as the metal is so thin. I use my garden hose to take off dirt and grime, sponge with Autoglym shampoo, garden hose again and then dry with Autoglym micro fibre towels and if I polish use Autoglym for that as well. The bodywork, particularly the bonnet is very thin and even the slightest pressure when towelling down causes deflection in the surface, the roof and lower doors are the same. Even the cills seem tinny. That said, when it is gleaming in the sunshine and the wheels are bright and shiny, with a tyre sheen finish it still makes my chuckle.

When I do mine properly...
Gently pressure wash the whole car.
Hand spray some heavy dirt solution on.
Gently pressure wash back off.
Snow foam the car.
Leave for about 10 minutes.
Wash the car with the 2 bucket method.
Dry the car with appropriate towels.

All takes bloody ages.

Usually, since the car has been ceramic coated, I just gently pressure wash the whole car, and quickly clean the windows and front lights. I am always amazed at how well the dirt falls off the ceramic coating.

If I snow foam, it's usually the first activity.
Haven't done it on the MG yet.

Copious amounts of running water only for me. Give it a good soak all over before starting with the sponge. I don't usually bother with drying it, though I have hard water so sometimes there is residue. I'm not too bothered by that.

I have pressure washed wheels in the past but they don't get the brake dirt off - but my previous EV (and I expect this one) won't suffer from that.

When my van was about a month old I remember taking my niece to work with me I was loading up when I heard a little voice repeating the word clean clean over and over. Didn't think much of it until there was a scratchy slapping noise on the side. When I looked down the N/S there she was proudly pointing at a very scratched and matt looking lower half of the door. Sponge scouring pads make a lovely job of paintwork

Last edited:
I have used the automatic wash regularly, with no issues to report.

Has anyone used one of these on a MG5? I usually take our other car to one at the petrol station but a bit hesitant with the MG5, as it makes tin sort of noise even when rain drops fall, so not sure what sort of effect the rollers thrashing against the 5 would have.

I guess the panels are thinner on the MG compared to that on an ICE vehicle.
Suggest you hand wash all the time those car washes rip the paint to bits - never used one for years

I prefer to use a garden hose Lance rather than pressure washer as it is not so fierce.
I worked as a car cleaner for a hire car company and the number of slow tyre deflations we had due to pressure washers disturbing valve seatings was unbelievable.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The problem was the pressure washer being held too close to the valve where it seats onto the wheel. This causes the valve to jiggle and results in a weakened seal between the wheel and valve seating resulting in air release and loss of pressure.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom