Autumn/Winter is coming! A few tips for your ZS while the warmer weather is still around

Cocijo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a good idea to have a quick run round your car before colder weather arrives. It might be a bit premature but I thought I’d share a couple pf areas to cover based on cold weather experience with the car.
1/ door handles
the door handles on the ZS can stick out in winter. Pull the handles out and spray some silicon onto the moving parts to help stop them sticking when it gets really cold. I use WD 40 silicone spray. Amazon product ASIN B007JI8TV82/ rubber seals
it’s good to treat all the rubber seals on the car before winter to help against sticking - don‘t forget the sunroof seals if you have one. I use this strangely named Gummi Pfledge. Amazon product ASIN B004B8GTQG3/ clean and lubricate your charging flap
this can stick, especially in very cold weather. Vaseline on the seal and latch can help.
4/ silicon the lower front windscreen seal
this is the seal that runs along the lower part of the windscreen. It’s well know to cause a creaking in the car. In winter it tends to be worse. Again a little silicon spray along the seal helps.
4/ make sure you have screen additive in your washer bottle to stop freezing
5/ check your wipers and change if streaking or not clearing very well
6/ some may want to consider brighter headlamp bulbs for the darker nights - the ZS standard headlamps are not great
7/ remember range will drop on cold days with heater etc in use (can lose as much as 30% range)
8/ if you don’t have them, you might want to put in rubber mats to help with the wetter winter months
9/ get the inside of your windows nice and clean!
this does help with demisting and visibility - also driving at night . I find using a paper tissue is the best way to get the inside clean. I use this cleaner
Amazon product ASIN B07YQ1123X
anyone have any more good winter tips?

I've built up a few essentials that I just keep all year.

A blanket.
Gloves/hat/waterproof jacket.
Some bottles of water.
Torch.
Some spanners/screwdrivers/mini socket set.
Spare bulbs.
First aid kit.
Fire extinguisher.
Small snow shovel.
Self heating meal (just add some water).

Also, depending on where you are, all season or dedicated winter tyres are a sound investment. And if you're worried about really deep snow/ice, aldi or lidl sometimes do snow chains 😉

The only time I ever got stuck in snow, I was in someone else's car, and they were never in the Scouts...

I've built up a few essentials that I just keep all year.

A blanket.
Gloves/hat/waterproof jacket.
Some bottles of water.
Torch.
Some spanners/screwdrivers/mini socket set.
Spare bulbs.
First aid kit.
Fire extinguisher.
Small snow shovel.
Self heating meal (just add some water).

Also, depending on where you are, all season or dedicated winter tyres are a sound investment. And if you're worried about really deep snow/ice, aldi or lidl sometimes do snow chains 😉

The only time I ever got stuck in snow, I was in someone else's car, and they were never in the Scouts...
I stay at home when it's snowing :)

I drove mine in Norway all last winter. All the advice above is good, especially greasing the locking mechanism on the charging port and knowing how to release it if it does freeze. There is a release catch inside the bonnet area. If you are doing long distances and know you will be stopping for rapid charging, consider turning on the battery pre-heater to speed up the charging cycle. Take a flask of hot tea! Lol.

Battery pre-heater isn't on UK models, is it? I think a couple on here had it put on at their own risk. All good tips though (y)

I forgot to mention the folding door mirrors. They can’t be disabled and fold when car is locked - some have had them freeze folded or put a lot of pressure on the motor. A plastic bag tied around the folded mirrors on very cold days helps prevent them freezing up when parked.

Something I did earlier this year, and I can't remember if it was someone on here that suggested it, was to fit some draught seal around the charging flap. Helps keep the snow out of the recess.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom