Average cost of a 7kW home charger!

chowbenter

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello everyone, I'll be ordering a MG ZS EV Excite at the end of this month to hopefully coincide with the end of my Kia Niro hybrid lease in January 2021.
What I was wondering is how much over & above the OLEV grant (£350) does the average run of the mill 7kW charger instalment cost? Are do they have to be the more expensive 'Smart meters'? I have a double garage where my car is usually kept and I also have a large driveway too. The electrics in this old house (built around 1920) are very dated (bakerlite fuses & fusebox) although the wiring has been replaced. As I'm retired & have no commute I could suffice with the granny cable with the low mileage we do but it would be nice to have the option of a 7kW charger if needed.

Many thanks Ian.

If you're not going for the OLEV grant, it's probably cheaper to buy a charger off the internet and get a local electrician to fit it.
I would see if you could get your old electrics updated first though. A 7 kWh charger draws about 30A and your mains cut out fuse may only be 40A or 60A at best and will probably need upgrading to a 80A or 100A.

If you're not going for the OLEV grant, it's probably cheaper to buy a charger off the internet and get a local electrician to fit it.
I would see if you could get your old electrics updated first though. A 7 kWh charger draws about 30A and your mains cut out fuse may only be 40A or 60A at best and will probably need upgrading to a 80A or 100A.

Thanks for the reply Kithmo, I think you might be right & go the way of a second hand charger off the ebay, I honestly don't have the funds for such a big job as replacing the house electrics at the present. I've used up all my brownie points & persuasion to order this MG (she is really apprehensive of making the jump to BEV) and if it entailed a huge cost for the house electricals my life wouldn't be worth living. o_O
Many thanks.

I got a Wallbox Pulsar Plus fitted yesterday through Scottishpower
After OLEV and energy trust Scotland grant I will have paid £249
My house is under 20 years old and cable run out from garage mains consumer unit only 4 metres so no extras required.
I have not had to change my supply from EDF so think this is a pretty good option.

I got a Wallbox Pulsar Plus fitted yesterday through Scottishpower
After OLEV and energy trust Scotland grant I will have paid £249
My house is under 20 years old and cable run out from garage mains consumer unit only 4 metres so no extras required.
I have not had to change my supply from EDF so think this is a pretty good option.
Thanks for the reply Stuart 74, It's good to see a ballpark figure. :) All the cars we've had in 48 years of marriage has had to be a 50-50 agreement between us as we both drive it.(y) but this time I said it's probably the last chance we have to go BEV & your anxiety is unfounded with the mileage we do these days.

If you’re in England it’s around £500 on top of the grant.

Your house electrics might not be up to it though.

Thanks Kiltox, That was the thing I was worried about, I'm hoping that I can get by with the granny cable.

Most installers will request photographs of your existing installation and make a remote survey on suitability without charging you so it’s worth enquiring.

Also - the granny charger still puts a fair load on the socket it’s plugged into. Make sure it’s in good condition.

Also - the granny charger still puts a fair load on the socket it’s plugged into. Make sure it’s in good condition.
Thanks for that info Kiltox, I have a trench half dug from the house along the side of the lawn to lay a new power cable to the garage which is around 25 feet from the house, Job stopped at present as the old lead water pipe under the kitchen floor ruptured & flooded the kitchen :cry: I've got plenty of time between now & January to get it finished. I'll get some suitable cable to lay in that & a new socket as well.

At the moment I am getting by with granny charger and free chargers at Tesco's etc, as I also do low mileage these days ,but I will still get a quote on a 7kw charger just to find out how much and then decide whether it is worth it.

At the moment I am getting by with granny charger and free chargers at Tesco's etc, as I also do low mileage these days ,but I will still get a quote on a 7kw charger just to find out how much and then decide whether it is worth it.
Hello Baz Thanks for the reply, I think you're right I'll sperak to the dealership nearer the time. I just have a vision of the guy turning up & after looking at the archaic house electrics giving a sharp intake of breath. :eek:

Thanks for the reply Kithmo, I think you might be right & go the way of a second hand charger off the ebay, I honestly don't have the funds for such a big job as replacing the house electrics at the present. I've used up all my brownie points & persuasion to order this MG (she is really apprehensive of making the jump to BEV) and if it entailed a huge cost for the house electricals my life wouldn't be worth living. o_O
Many thanks.
It may not cost you anything to get the mains cut out upgraded to 80A. You need to contact the power network owner for your area, not your electricity supplier but the ones who own and maintain the cables etc.
Mine is Northern Power and they said my 60A could be upgraded to 80A for free but if I wanted a 100A it may involve extra work digging cables up which is chargeable. I opted for the free 80A upgrade and when the contractor came they put me a 100A fuse in free as the existing lines were ample.

I think I need to get an electrician in to see if our archaic house electrics are even viable to charge a BEV safely without having to spend a fortune (which I haven't got).

I think I need to get an electrician in to see if our archaic house electrics are even viable to charge a BEV safely without having to spend a fortune (which I haven't got).

Well I've still not been able to get an electrician in to give the house electrics a once over as I've still got this flooded kitchen to sort out with the house insurance first (Burst pipe) but I've booked a test drive tomorrow morning at MG Wigan :Dbecause I'm not sure how the upcoming lockdown restrictions will affect car dealerships . :unsure:
So has they had a test drive slot going spare I jumped at the chance. :)

I had the test drive today & was gobsmacked how smooth, quiet & quick off the mark these cars are, I've signed up for a red excite model to co-inside with my other lease ending in January. Cant wait. (y)

Hi Chowbenter,
Have you considered the Exclusive, I think you get much more car for your money?

Quick question for everyone else. How much does it cost for a full charge on average for the following;

1. Granny charger (12 hours ish)
2. Rapid home charger, Rolec/Zappi etc
3. Rapid charger at a service station/Tesco/pub etc - what’s the range cheapest to most expensive?

Thanks in advance 👍🏼

Hi St0cky Yeah I considered the exclusive but I need to save as much money as possible to sort these household electricals out before it arrives.

Hi StOcky. It depends on your home electricity cost per kw. My unit cost is £0.12 per kw.
So around half charge approx 20kw x 12p=£2.40
Full charge around £4.80.
My unit rate is the same 24 hours a day.
You could change to say octopus and get 4 hours cheap rate I think midnight to 04:00 at 5p per kw. Full charge 40x5p =£2
These low cost rates have higher rates around 18p per kw during the other 20 hours.
Same cost to charge with granny charger or 7kw fast home charger if kw price is same in your home all day and night.
I some times stop off in way home and get a free fast charge and costs around £1 a day home charging.
Hope this is helpful.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom