Balancing the batteries ?

MichaelJHunt

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just charged my car to 100% for a trip down to London tomorrow (should be seeing lots of 20mph limits when I get there)

I have noticed that although the charging is indicating it is complete, the car is still drawing power.

I am assuming this is battery balancing that is taking place?

34235E6B-A0F0-4400-AB2B-AF9C5AF5D16E.jpeg

Yep !.
It will continue to pull about 500 Watts of power to balance the battery, after the HV battery has hit 100% SOC.
It was this way on the Gen 1 model, so I think it will be similar on the Gen 2 model.
It is a stepped process, when the balance first starts, it will be almost a thousands Watts, then it quickly steps down to about 500 Watts, then it will drop to around 300 then 175 Watts, just before it completes.
Then shortly after, it will automatically turn off the supply from the wall box.
This is how the Gen 1 model generally behaved.
Balancing times can vary on the Gen1 model.
With the factory software installed, anything from 30 minutes to about one hour.
With the BMS update applied, this increased the time of the balancing process.
Best case, about two hours ( ish ) could could be a lot longer.
I think this was a result of increasing the size of the buffer at the top of the HV battery, after the BMS update.
Balancing the pack was more lengthy because of the additional space at the head of the battery, is my theory.
I have not balanced my pack yet on my ZS EV LR after owning the car since March and covered 4,000 miles.
Always charge from home on our wall box.
Why have I not balanced the battery yet ?.
Well I have not required the full 100% SOC as of yet.
I have chargers to 90% on two occasions, but not to 100% SOC - Yet !.
The car WAS charged to almost 100% when I collected it from the dealers, on collection day.
My usual charging cycle, is from about 25 - 30% SOC then back up to 80% SOC mark.
At 80% SOC it reports a predicted range of 212 miles of range.
Oddly, it predicts 212 miles of range on the App but 211 in the cars info unit ?.
This has been a pretty consistent prediction of range figures that I have witnessed.
Oh ..,,,, These figures are taken when both trip counters have been reset back to zero.

Hey curious what is the 13% battery icon in the bottom right corner.
The most important data! The state of charge, hence total mileage to 0% would be about 286 miles which as the OP originally stated was close to the GOM 293 miles.

I've often wondered how to tell how the balancing charge is doing without the solid light of the MG logo on the charging flap on the gen 1 MG ZS EV.

I've often wondered how to tell how the balancing charge is doing without the solid light of the MG logo on the charging flap on the gen 1 MG ZS EV.
Does answer my question as well. I will be using chargers away from house so good to be able to see this on the app.

Any indication on the charge port LEDs I wonder ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom